Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   C Programming (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f42-c-programming.html)
-   -   Who Invented What In C (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t953284-who-invented-what-in-c.html)

fir 10-12-2012 09:42 AM

Who Invented What In C
 
Sory for my weak english.
Today is one year aniversary of Mr. D. Ritchie death,
but my question is unreleted to that (just by chance, so I
mention it).
I am just curious which parts (concepts/ideas) contained in c language was invention of which inventor. As I see an exampls of B codes very much of it contains a c language
concepts. Could maybe someone explain who invented general
form of function definition, who invented base types (int/float), who inventet array-pointer magic, who general
binary form of function and other must important concepst in c, in separate. Also, whot in c is not contained in b?



Noob 10-12-2012 09:56 AM

Re: Who Invented What In C
 
fir wrote:

> I am just curious which parts (concepts/ideas) contained in c language was invention of which inventor. As I see an example of B codes very much of it contains a c language
> concepts. Could maybe someone explain who invented general
> form of function definition, who invented base types (int/float), who invented array-pointer magic, who general
> binary form of function and other must important concepts in c, in separate. Also, what in c is not contained in b?


Straight from the "horse's mouth"

http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/chist.html

cf. also Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_%28p...age%29#History

> The initial development of C occurred at AT&T Bell Labs between 1969
> and 1973;[3] according to Ritchie, the most creative period occurred
> in 1972. It was named "C" because its features were derived from an
> earlier language called "B", which according to Ken Thompson was a
> stripped-down version of the BCPL programming language.
>
> The origin of C is closely tied to the development of the Unix
> operating system, originally implemented in assembly language on a
> PDP-7 by Ritchie and Thompson, incorporating several ideas from
> colleagues. Eventually they decided to port the operating system to a
> PDP-11. B's inability to take advantage of some of the PDP-11's
> features, notably byte addressability, led to the development of an
> early version of C.
>
> The original PDP-11 version of the Unix system was developed in
> assembly language. By 1973, with the addition of struct types, the C
> language had become powerful enough that most of the Unix kernel was
> rewritten in C.


and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_%28p...age%29#History

> Ken Thompson wrote B basing it mainly on the BCPL language he had
> used to write Unix while in the Multics project. B was essentially
> the BCPL system stripped of any component that Thompson felt he could
> do without, in order to make it fit within the memory capacity of the
> minicomputers of the time. The language also included some changes
> made to suit Thompson's preferences (mostly along the lines of
> reducing the number of non-whitespace characters in a typical
> program).


and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCPL


fir 10-12-2012 10:07 AM

Re: Who Invented What In C
 
W dniu piątek, 12 października 2012 11:55:29 UTC+2 użytkownik Noob napisał:
> fir wrote:
>
>
>
> > I am just curious which parts (concepts/>

>
> cf. also Wikipedia:
>


alrite, but my question is more specific, for
example who invented this

f()
{

}

or

struct S s[200];

David RF 10-12-2012 10:56 AM

Re: Who Invented What In C
 
El viernes, 12 de octubre de 2012 12:07:47 UTC+2, fir escribió:
> W dniu piątek, 12 października 2012 11:55:29 UTC+2 użytkownik Noob napisał:
>
> > fir wrote:

>
> >

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > > I am just curious which parts (concepts/>

>
> >

>
> > cf. also Wikipedia:

>
> >

>
>
>
> alrite, but my question is more specific, for
>
> example who invented this
>
>
>
> f()
>
> {
>
>
>
> }
>
>
>
> or
>
>
>
> struct S s[200];


Who invented subroutines?
(from Wikipedia)
In computer science, a subroutine, also termed procedure, function, routine, method, or subprogram, is a part of source code within a larger computer program that performs a specific task and is relatively independent of the remaining code.

As the name subprogram suggests, a subroutine behaves in much the same way as a computer program that is used as one step in a larger program or another subprogram. A subroutine is often coded so that it can be started (called) several times and/or from several places during one execution of the program, including from other subroutines, and then branch back (return) to the next instruction after the call once the subroutine's task is done.

Maurice Wilkes, David Wheeler, and Stanley Gill are credited with the invention of this concept, which they termed a closed subroutine.

(structs or records)
The concept of record can be traced to various types of tables and ledgers used in accounting since remote times. The modern notion of records in computer science, with fields of well-defined type and size, was already implicit in 19th century mechanical calculators, such as Babbage's Analytical Engine.[citation needed]

Records were well established in the first half of the 20th century, when most data processing was done using punched cards. Typically each records ofa data file would be recorded in one punched card, with specific columns assigned to specific fields.

Most machine language implementations and early assembly languages did not have special syntax for records, but the concept was available (and extensively used) through the use of index registers, indirect addressing, and self-modifying code. Some early computers, such as the IBM 1620, had hardware support for delimiting records and fields, and special instructions for copying such records.

The concept of records and fields was central in some early file sorting and tabulating utilities, such as IBM's Report Program Generator (RPG).

COBOL was the first widespread programming language to support record type

Noob 10-12-2012 11:02 AM

Re: Who Invented What In C
 
fir wrote:

> alright, but my question is more specific,


Did you REALLY read dmr's account in 11 minutes?

http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/chist.html

> for example who invented this
>
> f()
> {
>
> }
>
> or
>
> struct S s[200];


dmr used the array notation "[N]" in B.
and introduced the struct keyword (and syntax) in early versions of C.

I'm not sure what the POINT of these questions is, however.


fir 10-12-2012 11:14 AM

Re: Who Invented What In C
 
W dniu piątek, 12 października 2012 13:01:21 UTC+2 użytkownik Noob napisał:
> fir wrote:
> > alright, but my question is more specific,

>
> Did you REALLY read dmr's account in 11 minutes?
> http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/chist.html
> > for example who invented this

>
> >
> > f()
> > {
> >
> > }
> >
> > or
> >
> > struct S s[200];

> dmr used the array notation "[N]" in B.
> and introduced the struct keyword (and syntax) in early versions of C.
>
> I'm not sure what the POINT of these questions is, however.


i did read it before - though do not fully
remember it The point is as i said: I consider c as a set of many concepts,and I am interested who invented which one of them.

Noob 10-12-2012 11:16 AM

Re: Who Invented What In C
 
Noob wrote:

> fir wrote:
>
>> alright, but my question is more specific [...]

>
> Did you REALLY read dmr's account in 11 minutes?
>
> http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/chist.html


cf. also http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/hopl.html

and the "C and its immediate ancestors" section of dmr's home page


1 10-12-2012 11:23 AM

Re: Who Invented What In C
 
Hello Noob,

> fir wrote:
>
>> I am just curious which parts (concepts/ideas) contained in c
>> language was invention of which inventor. As I see an example of B
>> codes very much of it contains a c language
>>
>> concepts. Could maybe someone explain who invented general
>>
>> form of function definition, who invented base types (int/float), who
>> invented array-pointer magic, who general
>>
>> binary form of function and other must important concepts in c, in
>> separate. Also, what in c is not contained in b?
>>

> Straight from the "horse's mouth"
>
> http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/chist.html
>
> cf. also Wikipedia:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_%28p...age%29#History
>
>> The initial development of C occurred at AT&T Bell Labs between 1969
>> and 1973;[3] according to Ritchie, the most creative period occurred
>> in 1972. It was named "C" because its features were derived from an
>> earlier language called "B", which according to Ken Thompson was a
>> stripped-down version of the BCPL programming language.
>>
>> The origin of C is closely tied to the development of the Unix
>> operating system, originally implemented in assembly language on a
>> PDP-7 by Ritchie and Thompson, incorporating several ideas from
>> colleagues. Eventually they decided to port the operating system to a
>> PDP-11. B's inability to take advantage of some of the PDP-11's
>> features, notably byte addressability, led to the development of an
>> early version of C.
>>
>> The original PDP-11 version of the Unix system was developed in
>> assembly language. By 1973, with the addition of struct types, the C
>> language had become powerful enough that most of the Unix kernel was
>> rewritten in C.
>>

> and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_%28p...age%29#History
>
>> Ken Thompson wrote B basing it mainly on the BCPL language he had
>> used to write Unix while in the Multics project. B was essentially
>> the BCPL system stripped of any component that Thompson felt he could
>> do without, in order to make it fit within the memory capacity of the
>> minicomputers of the time. The language also included some changes
>> made to suit Thompson's preferences (mostly along the lines of
>> reducing the number of non-whitespace characters in a typical
>> program).
>>

> and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCPL
>



Thanks a lot good sir! Thanks to you, now I will have to spend whatever free
time I have today reading this articles :D.



fir 10-12-2012 11:57 AM

Re: Who Invented What In C
 
W dniu piątek, 12 października 2012 13:14:09 UTC+2 użytkownik fir napisał:
> W dniu piątek, 12 października 2012 13:01:21 UTC+2 użytkownik Noob napisał:
>
> > fir wrote:

>
> > > alright, but my question is more specific,

>
> >

>
> > Did you REALLY read dmr's account in 11 minutes?

>
> > http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/chist.html

>
> > > for example who invented this

>
> >

>
> > >

>
> > > f()

>
> > > {

>
> > >

>
> > > }

>
> > >

>
> > > or

>
> > >

>
> > > struct S s[200];

>
> > dmr used the array notation "[N]" in B.

>
> > and introduced the struct keyword (and syntax) in early versions of C.

>
> >

>
> > I'm not sure what the POINT of these questions is, however.

>
>
>
> i did read it before - though do not fully
>
> remember it The point is as i said: I consider c as a set of many concepts, and I am interested who invented which one of them.


Allrite Ive read it and I found the answer:
I can say that c (and spirit of it) is originated in Thompson work but Ritchie generalized it somewhat (and even made language stronger so he also is 'responsible' for
the language. So for sure they both are
authors of 'lower' and 'upper' part of it.


Nick Keighley 10-13-2012 09:40 AM

Re: Who Invented What In C
 
On Oct 12, 12:01*pm, Noob <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> fir wrote:
> > alright, but my question is more specific,

>
> Did you REALLY read dmr's account in 11 minutes?
>
> http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/chist.html
>
> > for example who invented this

>
> > f()
> > {

>
> > }

>
> > or

>
> > struct S s[200];

>
> dmr used the array notation "[N]" in B.


[] for arrays goes all the way back to FORTRAN

> and introduced the struct keyword (and syntax) in early versions of C.
>
> I'm not sure what the POINT of these questions is, however.


nor me. There's little in C that's utterly new (perhaps the
declaration syntax) but its a nicely chosen set of features packaged
in a compact and reasonably nice syntax



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.