Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Generating C++ code (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t953206-re-generating-c-code.html)

Etienne Robillard 10-09-2012 08:52 PM

Re: Generating C++ code

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 20:55:48 +0100
Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/09/2012 05:00 PM, Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I'm trying to generate C++ code from an XML file. I'd like to use a template engine, which imo produce something readable and maintainable.
> > My google search about this subject has been quite unsuccessful, I've been redirected to template engine specific to html mostly.
> >
> > Does anybody knows a python template engine for generating C++ code ?
> >
> > Here's my flow:
> >
> > XML file -> nice python app -> C++ code
> >
> > From what I know I could use Cheetah, a generic template engine. I never used it though, I'm not sure this is what I need.
> > I'm familiar with jinja2 but I'm not sure I could use it to generate C++ code, did anybody try ? (maybe that's a silly question)
> >
> > Any advice would be appreciated.
> >
> > JM

> I think you can use anything to generate C++ code, but is it a good idea?
> Are you going to produce this code only one time and then maintain it
> manually?
>
> And are you sure that the design that you would get from the XML file
> actually makes sense when
> translated in C++?

You can build nice python app with Cython/Pyrex too if you got sufficient knowledge in C/C++ programming
to extend the app in C. :-)

Otherwise that seem like a little counter-productive to produce a python template only for generating C stubs when python
is good for many things without requiring advanced C++ skills like memory management, etc.

HTH,
Etienne Robillard
Green Tea Hackers Club
Fine Software Carpentry For The Rest Of Us!
http://gthc.org/
erob@gthcfoundation.org