Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Who owns the variable in my header file ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t953182-re-who-owns-the-variable-in-my-header-file.html)

Joe Pfeiffer 10-09-2012 04:47 AM

lipska the kat <lipskathekat@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> On 03/10/12 19:13, lipska the kat wrote:
>> Hi

> [snip]
>
> I've been reading this thread with increasing alarm ... there seems to
> be no real way to be sure that one's code complies with ... what
> exactly.

Sorry to say, but "Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it
ever was, same as it ever was"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI3c-22lL_s

There has never been a language whose semantics have been that fully
defined. There is always undefined behavior -- some of which is
explicitly "undefined", and some of which is just not noticed and so
there just doesn't turn out to be a definition for.

In this newsgroup, you may have fallen in among the most lawyer-minded
group of specification-readers on the net (I'm terrified by the thought
of another newsgroup that's more so). In real life, you code to the
best of your ability, you test to the best of your ability, you ask
questions when you hit something that doesn't make sense, and you go on.

No matter what language you're writing in.
--
"Erwin, have you seen the cat?" -- Mrs. Shroedinger

BartC 10-09-2012 09:30 AM

"lipska the kat" <lipskathekat@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 09/10/12 05:47, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

>> No matter what language you're writing in.

> Well I'm coming from the relatively 'safe' world of Java serverside
> development.

> Coming from there to here has been a bit of a shock to the system albeit
> strangely liberating. I doubt I'll read the whole spec from cover to cover
> but given the comments so far regarding 'undefined behavior' it's
> comforting to know it's there .. I think, doesn't help with k&r 2nd
> edition ex 2.6 tho %-|

You're not comparing like with like. What language is a typical JVM
implementation written in? It's probably not Java! Instead it leaves all the
'dirty work' to a different language and keeps itself clean.

What are Java's primitive data types? I didn't know until five minutes ago
but they seem to be 8, 16, 32, and 64-bit types; very neat and tidy, not
even any unsigned integer types to make life difficult!

C has to do a lot more of the dirty work and is expected to run on more
'interesting' architectures. That doesn't excuse everything, but it might
give an idea why programming can be a bit more challenging.

--
bartc