Velocity Reviews

-   -   Microsoft email about update. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t953027-microsoft-email-about-update.html)

Geopelia 10-04-2012 11:53 AM

Microsoft email about update.

I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
suspicious because it asks for my password.

Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?

Should I answer or ignore it?

Thank you

Geopelia

David Empson 10-04-2012 01:19 PM

Re: Microsoft email about update.

Geopelia <Geopelia@nowhere.com> wrote:

> I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
> requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
> It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
> suspicious because it asks for my password.
>
> Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
>
> Should I answer or ignore it?

Ignore it. It is spam.

You should assume that any e-mail requesting any of your passwords is
spam and probably an attempt to steal or gain access to whatever is
protected by that password.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

Enkidu 10-04-2012 09:04 PM

On 05/10/12 00:53, Geopelia wrote:

> I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
> requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
> It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
> suspicious because it asks for my password.
>
> Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
>
> Should I answer or ignore it?
>
> Thank you

Don't do it Geo. It's a phishing SPAM. Anyone can put a link to
Microsoft's privacy policy - it's a publicly accessible document by its
very nature.

Cheers,

Cliff

Gib Bogle 10-04-2012 11:42 PM

On 5/10/2012 12:53 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
> I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
> requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
> It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
> suspicious because it asks for my password.
>
> Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
>
> Should I answer or ignore it?

ALWAYS delete an email asking you for username and/or password. Without
exception.

Dave Doe 10-05-2012 12:43 AM

Re: Microsoft email about update.

In article <k4jtb6$jdt$1@dont-email.me>, Geopelia@nowhere.com, Geopelia
says...

> I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
> requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
> It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
> suspicious because it asks for my password.
>
> Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
>
> Should I answer or ignore it?
>
> Thank you

Of course it's malicious!

--
Duncan.

Geopelia 10-05-2012 10:42 AM

"Dave Doe" <hard@work.ok> wrote in message
> In article <k4jtb6$jdt$1@dont-email.me>, Geopelia@nowhere.com, Geopelia
> says...
>>
>> I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
>> requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
>> It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
>> suspicious because it asks for my password.
>>
>> Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
>>
>> Should I answer or ignore it?
>>
>> Thank you

> Of course it's malicious!

Thanks to all, that is what I suspected but it looks so genuine this time.
They are getting craftier.
Geopelia

Donchano 10-05-2012 08:59 PM

Re: Microsoft email about update.

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 23:42:34 +1300, "Geopelia" <Geopelia@nowhere.com>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>"Dave Doe" <hard@work.ok> wrote in message
>> In article <k4jtb6$jdt$1@dont-email.me>, Geopelia@nowhere.com, Geopelia
>> says...
>>>
>>> I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
>>> requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
>>> It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
>>> suspicious because it asks for my password.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
>>>
>>> Should I answer or ignore it?
>>>
>>> Thank you

>> Of course it's malicious!
>>

>Thanks to all, that is what I suspected but it looks so genuine this time.
>They are getting craftier.
>Geopelia

Looking genuine is how they suck people in. Watch out for this kind of
scam purporting to be from trading banks, courier companies and
TradeMe.

Gordon 10-06-2012 04:31 AM

On 2012-10-05, Geopelia <Geopelia@nowhere.com> wrote:

> "Dave Doe" <hard@work.ok> wrote in message
>> In article <k4jtb6$jdt$1@dont-email.me>, Geopelia@nowhere.com, Geopelia
>> says...
>>>
>>> I have received an email from Microsoft, (not personally addressed),
>>> requiring me to update. They want my email address and password.
>>> It looks genuine as it links to Microsoft's privacy policy. But I am
>>> suspicious because it asks for my password.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else received this? Is it genuine or spam?
>>>
>>> Should I answer or ignore it?
>>>
>>> Thank you

>> Of course it's malicious!
>>

> Thanks to all, that is what I suspected but it looks so genuine this time.
> They are getting craftier.

You will make a great detective in your next life time.

Gordon 10-06-2012 04:34 AM

On 2012-10-05, Donchano <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 23:42:34 +1300, "Geopelia" <Geopelia@nowhere.com>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>

>>"Dave Doe" <hard@work.ok> wrote in message
>>> In article <k4jtb6$jdt$1@dont-email.me>, Geopelia@nowhere.com, Geopelia
>>> says...

>>> Of course it's malicious!
>>>

>>Thanks to all, that is what I suspected but it looks so genuine this time.
>>They are getting craftier.
>>Geopelia

> Looking genuine is how they suck people in. Watch out for this kind of
> scam purporting to be from trading banks, courier companies and
> TradeMe.

Or from our electeld represenstives.

Read Trust no one, not even ones self. As a Harry said in 1975. ( a co
worker)

Geopelia 10-06-2012 11:36 AM

"Gordon" <Gordon@clear.net.nz> wrote in message
> On 2012-10-05, Geopelia <Geopelia@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Doe" <hard@work.ok> wrote in message
>>> In article <k4jtb6$jdt$1@dont-email.me>, Geopelia@nowhere.com, Geopelia
>>> says...

>>> Of course it's malicious!
>>>

>> Thanks to all, that is what I suspected but it looks so genuine this
>> time.
>> They are getting craftier.

> You will make a great detective in your next life time.

Not me, I'll be one of the villains!