Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Photo Opportunity (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t952906-re-photo-opportunity.html)

David Dyer-Bennet 10-01-2012 07:22 PM

Re: Photo Opportunity

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

> On 2012-09-30 18:59:53 -0700, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> said:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:41:19 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> ...but my Ace in the hole trumps your mixed flush. I give you a one of
>>> a kind, Northrop N9-MB.
>>> < http://db.tt/U3eaNFp2 >

>> I've already given you one of a kind - the Mosquito, but I can see
>> that your is somewhat different.

> However there are other Mosquitoes flying, disqualifying it as "One of
> a kind", there is only one N9-MD.
>

>> Here is another one of a kind - the only surviving Avro Anson Mk1 from
>> 76 years ago https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/_DSC4616.jpg A light
>> bomber, 300lb bomb load.

> The folks at Duxford would disagree, as they have their fully restored
> Anson Mk1 and they note theirs as one of a handful of survivors. There
> are several Anson variants which are still flying Air Atlantique
> Classic Flight of Coventry have a restored and fully flyable Mk21.
>

>>> and then there are these guys:
>>> < http://db.tt/jBqCnrRQ >

>> For some reason neither our Yak nor our Tempest 2 was flying that day.
>> Pity.
>>>
>>> BTW: I don't mean to be picky, but did you use heavy noise reduction?

>> No two are the same. I used noise reduction for some, but only as a
>> consequence of sharpening. What made you ask and which ones are you
>> referring to?

> Both. The detail seems smeared, even with the Anson. It is worse with
> the formation shot and the solo Mossie shot.
>
> You have good glass with the 70-200mm f/2.8 and you should be getting
> better quality than I see in any of those shots.
> Something is wrong. I suspect you are shooting wide open at f/2.8 and
> that the problem is related to that.

Yep, wide aperture. There are a couple of plugins for Firefox (and no
doubt for other browsers) that let you pop up the EXIF info for an image
with a right-click menu entry, and I find those *VERY* useful when
looking at photos being discussed by other photographers. And thank you
both for leaving the EXIF info intact!

> I am using an AF-S 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G VR which is 1/3 the cost of the
> premium glass you are using, and we are using the same camera. I have
> cropped to get my final images. I can't see how you could possibly
> make a quality crop with what you have shown us.
>
> Here is one of my unadjusted, uncropped shots compared with my
> adjusted, cropped shot with nary a touch of sharpening applied. With
> your glass & camera you should be able to get far more detailed images
> of that Mossie.
> <
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lx56l61b7...s/Aviation/WBP
>>

> Then, always apply noise reduction as the first part of the work flow,
> not as an afterthought subsequent to sharpening. You can't fix over
> sharpening with noise reduction.

That does match my own early experiments, and what I consistently hear
from printers more experienced than me. (We don't have a general word
for the whole world of still image post-processing really. I tend to
just say "printing".)

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Wolfgang Weisselberg 10-07-2012 01:58 PM

Re: Photo Opportunity

Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> I did my processing with NX2. It's Noise Reduction includes a slider
> for 'Sharpening'. That's where I did the sharpenning after noise
> reduction - just as much sharpening as the image will stand without
> noise.

As I understand it, that sharpening slider is merely to counter
the softening induced by denoising.

-Wolfgang