Velocity Reviews

-   -   Regarding banking software (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t952885-regarding-banking-software.html)

Navnath Gadakh 10-01-2012 04:25 AM

Regarding banking software

i am new to java and i want to develop one banking software in how start and what framework or shall i use plan java plz help?

Thanks in adv

Roedy Green 10-01-2012 05:26 PM

Re: Regarding banking software

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 21:25:35 -0700 (PDT), Navnath Gadakh
<navnathgadakh@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
who said :

> i am new to java and i want to develop one banking software in how start and what framework or shall i use plan java plz help?

Much banking software are batch processes. The only auxiliary tool
you would need in as database . See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sql.html

For clerks to make transactions, you might use Java programs for data
entry then send data to a server.

For customer online banking you would likely use a browser sending CGI
transactions to a servlet womb. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/servletwomb.html

Since banking software tends to have a very long life it is important
to base your code only on tools likely to have a long life and to have
plug-in replacements.
The iPhone 5 is a low end Rolex.

bob smith 10-01-2012 08:10 PM

On Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:25:35 PM UTC-5, Navnath Gadakh wrote:
> i am new to java and i want to develop one banking software in how start and what framework or shall i use plan java plz help?
>

> Thanks in adv

It sounds like you will want to use Swing with a MySQL backend.

Also, be careful with float and double rounding errors.

Lew 10-01-2012 08:59 PM

bob smith wrote:
> Navnath Gadakh wrote:
>> i [sic] am new to java and i want to develop one banking software in how start and what
>> framework or shall i use plan java [sic] plz help?

Don't pick a framework or even a language until you know at least in some detail what your
system will do.

> It sounds like you will want to use Swing with a MySQL backend.

Based on what?

That is an insane answer.

If it's a Web application then Swing could be the wrong choice.

MySQL is likely the wrong choice.

Would you use Swing to calculate the interest on a credit card? (Trick question.)

Navnath - pay no attention to anyone who recommends a particular package or
software framework at this stage. It's not even clear that Java is the right choice.

> Also, be careful with float and double rounding errors.

There should be no use of 'float' in financial calculations. I have heard people
defend the use of 'double' for certain use cases, but I am dubious of that
reasoning. I would avoid 'double'.

Obviously this doesn't apply to screen coordinates in your Swing classes.

Of which there may be none.

"Banking software" is a large topic and a huge universe of functionality, most of
which is out of reach of the typical one-person shop. What is your intent? What
scope? Who's the audience for your product?

--
Lew

Arne Vajh°j 10-01-2012 11:40 PM

On 10/1/2012 12:25 AM, Navnath Gadakh wrote:
> i am new to java and i want to develop one banking software in how start and what framework or shall i use plan java plz help?

For a toy bank application: learn a lot about Java and then start.
The topic is far too big to cover in a usenet post.

For a real bank application: contact a lot of VC companies to get
funding to hire 500 developers.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j 10-01-2012 11:43 PM

On 10/1/2012 1:26 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 21:25:35 -0700 (PDT), Navnath Gadakh
> <navnathgadakh@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
> who said :
>> i am new to java and i want to develop one banking software in how start and what framework or shall i use plan java plz help?

> Much banking software are batch processes. The only auxiliary tool
> you would need in as database . See
> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sql.html

I would expect a bank application to use dozens if not hundreds of
tools and frameworks.

> For clerks to make transactions, you might use Java programs for data
> entry then send data to a server.
>
> For customer online banking you would likely use a browser sending CGI
> transactions to a servlet womb.

The CGI spec does not contain anything about transactions.

And I am not aware of any servlet container that can be
run via CGI (for good reasons - the startup time would
kill performance).

Arne

Arne Vajh°j 10-01-2012 11:44 PM

On 10/1/2012 4:10 PM, bob smith wrote:
> On Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:25:35 PM UTC-5, Navnath Gadakh wrote:
>> i am new to java and i want to develop one banking software in how start and what framework or shall i use plan java plz help?

> It sounds like you will want to use Swing with a MySQL backend.

It is one UI and one database, but there are plenty of alternatives.

> Also, be careful with float and double rounding errors.

Better just avoid float and double completely when dealing with money!

Arne

Arne Vajh°j 10-01-2012 11:46 PM

On 10/1/2012 4:59 PM, Lew wrote:
> bob smith wrote:
>> Navnath Gadakh wrote:
>>> i [sic] am new to java and i want to develop one banking software in how start and what
>>> framework or shall i use plan java [sic] plz help?

>> It sounds like you will want to use Swing with a MySQL backend.

> Based on what?
>
> That is an insane answer.

It is one out of a large number of possible combinations.

No reason to pick that but then no reason to not pick it either.

> If it's a Web application then Swing could be the wrong choice.
>
> MySQL is likely the wrong choice.

Why?

There are companies that run billion dollar businesses on MySQL.

>> Also, be careful with float and double rounding errors.

> There should be no use of 'float' in financial calculations. I have heard people
> defend the use of 'double' for certain use cases, but I am dubious of that
> reasoning. I would avoid 'double'.

I completely agree.

Arne

David Lamb 10-02-2012 02:41 AM

On 01/10/2012 12:25 AM, Navnath Gadakh wrote:
> i am new to java and i want to develop one banking software in how start and what framework or shall i use plan java plz help?

What exactly is it you want to do? A bank isn't going to be interested
in brand-new software; they have massive legacy systems they have to be
very, very careful not to break. Do you mean something like Quicken that
manages an individual's records and interacts with an existing online
banking system? Or are you writing a small experiement to see what the
bare bones of a banking system might be like? Or something completely
different?

Jeff Higgins 10-02-2012 07:25 AM

On 10/01/2012 12:25 AM, Navnath Gadakh wrote:
> i am new to java and i want to develop one banking software in how start and what framework or shall i use plan java plz help?

Welcome.
I've not heard of the "how start and what framework" development
environment.
Please provide a link.
At this point I would use plan java plz help.