Velocity Reviews

-   -   Getting old camera serviced. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t952830-getting-old-camera-serviced.html)

Peter Jason 09-29-2012 06:04 AM

Getting old camera serviced.

Mother's old camera from the 1950s has taken only
a few hundred shots, and the focusing wheel has
been gummed up by all the old grease - now gone
almost solid. Also, the light meter doesn't work
any more. It's a ContaxIIIa and does anyone know
a good service site for old cameras?
Peter

Tim Conway 09-29-2012 09:23 AM

Re: Getting old camera serviced.

"Peter Jason" <pj@jostle.com> wrote in message
> Mother's old camera from the 1950s has taken only
> a few hundred shots, and the focusing wheel has
> been gummed up by all the old grease - now gone
> almost solid. Also, the light meter doesn't work
> any more. It's a ContaxIIIa and does anyone know
> a good service site for old cameras?
> Peter

Sorry, I don't know of any.
You might do better by posting to rec.photo.equipment.35mm.

tony cooper 09-29-2012 04:30 PM

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:04:18 +1000, Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:

>Mother's old camera from the 1950s has taken only
>a few hundred shots, and the focusing wheel has
>been gummed up by all the old grease - now gone
>almost solid. Also, the light meter doesn't work
>any more. It's a ContaxIIIa and does anyone know
>a good service site for old cameras?
>Peter

I don't know where you are located, but Kiwi Camera Service
specializes in film cameras. Mike does good work at reasonable
prices.

http://kiwicameraservice.com/

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

philo 09-29-2012 11:49 PM

On 09/29/2012 01:04 AM, Peter Jason wrote:
> Mother's old camera from the 1950s has taken only
> a few hundred shots, and the focusing wheel has
> been gummed up by all the old grease - now gone
> almost solid. Also, the light meter doesn't work
> any more. It's a ContaxIIIa and does anyone know
> a good service site for old cameras?
> Peter

This place may be able to do it.

I had a similar camera repaired by them about 15 years ago anyway.
I think it cost $100

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686

Peter Jason 09-30-2012 10:02 PM

Re: Getting old camera serviced.

Thanks all.

Grimly Curmudgeon 10-08-2012 12:52 PM

Re: Getting old camera serviced.

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:04:18 +1000, Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:

> It's a ContaxIIIa and does anyone know
>a good service site for old cameras?

On the Manual Focus forum, one of the members sent her Kiev back to
the people in the Ukraine - not the factory, I think, but ex-employees
who'd set up as repairers. The Kiev and Contax are inextricably
interlinked, as history will reveal.

http://forum.mflenses.com/contax-rat...ev-t51757.html

Unfortunately, I don't know the address or contact details of the
repair folk. If it were me, I'd give that a go - who better knows the
inside outs of the camera than the people who put them together? Also,
they have a serious amount of brand new spare parts available.