Velocity Reviews

-   -   looking for code examples (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t952709-looking-for-code-examples.html)

Brian 09-26-2012 01:49 PM

looking for code examples

As I'm new to C++ I would like to study some C++ code examples. Is there a
site on the internet that has code examples and maybe complete program
code? Studying code written for games might be a good way to learn this
language.

I came across a book I must have brought some years ago as Its dated 1998,
its called Introduction to Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. Would the code in the
book still be suitable for use in Visual Studio C++ 2010 express?

--
Regards Brian

Victor Bazarov 09-26-2012 03:25 PM

Re: looking for code examples

On 9/26/2012 9:49 AM, Brian wrote:
> As I'm new to C++ I would like to study some C++ code examples. Is there a
> site on the internet that has code examples and maybe complete program
> code? Studying code written for games might be a good way to learn this
> language.

There are so many sites on the internet that giving you one would be
unfair to all others, unless it's a special one, right? Start with
'www.google.com' and search for "C++ code samples".

> I came across a book I must have brought some years ago as Its dated 1998,
> its called Introduction to Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. Would the code in the
> book still be suitable for use in Visual Studio C++ 2010 express?

It's very dated. It might still compile by default, Microsoft tries to
keep its products backward-compatible, but don't count on it too much.

Also, wherever you access this newsgroup from, try finding
'alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++' there (if I spelled it right...), it's more
suited for novices.

woodbrian77@gmail.com 09-26-2012 03:42 PM

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:49:49 AM UTC-5, Brian wrote:
> As I'm new to C++ I would like to study some C++ code examples. Is there a
>
> site on the internet that has code examples and maybe complete program
>
> code? Studying code written for games might be a good way to learn this
>
> language.

There's marshalling/networking related code here
http://webEbenezer.net/build_integration.html

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises
http://webEbenezer.net

Unless the L-rd builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the L-rd guards the city,
The watchman waketh but in vain.
Psalm 127:1

Luca Risolia 09-26-2012 05:27 PM

On 26/09/2012 15:49, Brian wrote:
> As I'm new to C++ I would like to study some C++ code examples. Is there a
> site on the internet that has code examples and maybe complete program
> code? Studying code written for games might be a good way to learn this
> language.

Here is a collection of solutions to many of the exercises proposed by
Stroustrup in his book "The C++ Programming Language" (3rd edition),
which is a very good book if you want learn C++ from the beginning:

http://www.linux-projects.org/listing/

a game (othello) is in the collection as well:

http://www.linux-projects.org/listin...olutions/15.4/

But games are usually advanced topics. You may want to start with
something easier if you are new to C++.

You can download the whole archive from:

http://www.linux-projects.org/module...wcat.php?cid=9