Velocity Reviews

-   -   Google's Photo Contest (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t952578-googles-photo-contest.html)

Anonymous Remailer (austria) 09-24-2012 02:03 AM

Google's Photo Contest

Billed as the Worlds's Biggest Photo Contest, it's all about
picturing U.S. monuments, landmarks, historical buildings and
the like.

Nobody, it seems uses a view camera with tilting lens board and
back! Hasn't anybody taken a course in photography to do
verticals correctly? It doesn't matter if you use a $9000 Leika
M9 or a $10 Brownie, your're going to get a tilting back
building, tower, lighthouse or anything else if you just tilt up
your camera and take a snapshot as all these wannabe
architectual photographers did.

The subject of photography used to be a great test of one's
artistic and technical skills. Not anymore. The darkroom is
gone, exposure accuracy is an afterthought now that Photoshop
can salvage just about anything and we've returned to "Push the
button and we do the rest," with simpleminded automated digital
cameras. Most digital photographers, if that noun even
describes them, have no clue what an f/stop, depth of field,
shutter speed,field of view, perspective, rules of composition,
portraiture lighting, exposure meters and just about every other
photographic adjustment and equipment is for. Even if they did
know these things, only a precious few cameras have
"conventional controls," which allow speedy adjustment of
exposure and focus; the rest have a myriad of buttons, knobs and
nested menus that would drive anybody nuts.

How many of you out there would even know how to work my Signet
40? Enough said.

It's a sad situation that one in a hundred camera jockeys know
anything about the subject and that's the number one reason my
beloved Eastman Kodak went under.

Pete Smith, L.A. DJ, (KDAY)

Me 09-24-2012 09:59 AM

Re: Google's Photo Contest

On 24/09/2012 2:03 p.m., Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
> Billed as the Worlds's Biggest Photo Contest, it's all about
> picturing U.S. monuments, landmarks, historical buildings and
> the like.
>
> Nobody, it seems uses a view camera with tilting lens board and
> back! Hasn't anybody taken a course in photography to do
> verticals correctly? It doesn't matter if you use a $9000 Leika
> M9 or a $10 Brownie, your're going to get a tilting back
> building, tower, lighthouse or anything else if you just tilt up
> your camera and take a snapshot as all these wannabe
> architectual photographers did.
>
> The subject of photography used to be a great test of one's
> artistic and technical skills. Not anymore. The darkroom is
> gone, exposure accuracy is an afterthought now that Photoshop
> can salvage just about anything and we've returned to "Push the
> button and we do the rest," with simpleminded automated digital
> cameras. Most digital photographers, if that noun even
> describes them, have no clue what an f/stop, depth of field,
> shutter speed,field of view, perspective, rules of composition,
> portraiture lighting, exposure meters and just about every other
> photographic adjustment and equipment is for. Even if they did
> know these things, only a precious few cameras have
> "conventional controls," which allow speedy adjustment of
> exposure and focus; the rest have a myriad of buttons, knobs and
> nested menus that would drive anybody nuts.
>
> How many of you out there would even know how to work my Signet
> 40? Enough said.
>
> It's a sad situation that one in a hundred camera jockeys know
> anything about the subject and that's the number one reason my
> beloved Eastman Kodak went under.

It's trivial to perform perspective correction in post-processing -
certainly to give adequate results for web-sized images, using free
software. For example:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/gim...erspective.htm
There are plenty of cameras which allow full manual controls.
At the more expensive end, you can still get tilt/shift lenses for
digital camera bodies.