Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Re: Algorithms using Python? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t952518-re-re-algorithms-using-python.html)

Evan Driscoll 09-21-2012 08:43 PM

Re: Re: Algorithms using Python?

On 09/21/2012 02:45 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:26:04 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@kathe.in>
>
>> Is there a good book on foundational as well as advanced algorithms
>> using Python?
>>

> Depends on what you mean by "foundational"...
>
> Since Python has dynamic lists and dictionaries, I suspect you won't
> find any textbook focusing on linked-list or hashed lookup algorithms
> using Python.

I wouldn't be so sure; C++ and Java both have standard libraries with
dictionaries (and thus are mostly lacking a literal syntax). But it's
easy to find books talking about the simple stuff.

I'd suggest looking at the books used in MIT's intro classes:

6.000 (Intro to CS and programming):

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrica...2011/Syllabus/

Zelle, John M. Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science
Budd, Timothy. Exploring Python
Shaw, Zed A. Learn Python the Hard Way [online]
Swaroop, CH. A Byte of Python

6.006 (Intro to algorithms):

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrica...2008/syllabus/

Miller and Ranum. Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures
Using Python.
[CLRS isn't Python]

and see if they have anything to offer. (I didn't actually look.)

> You can probably implement them, but they're not going to be very
> efficient. (And never "remove" an element from the linked-list
> implementation because Python would shift all the other elements, hence
> your "links" become invalid).

Huh?

Evan