Velocity Reviews

-   -   "Development mode" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t952470-development-mode.html)

py_lrnr 09-20-2012 07:02 PM

"Development mode"

I am new to python and I have come across the following command and its description:

>Now to be able to run the project you will need to install it and its >dependencies.

>python setup.py develop

I looked up what the 'develop' argument does and found:

>Extra commands:
> develop install package in 'development mode'

I searched for a description of 'development mode' but could not find a good description.

Can anyone (very briefly) explain to me, in a sentence or two:

what 'development mode' is?
how 'development mode' differs from other 'modes'?
why/when I would use 'development mode'?
what 'development mode' does or does not allow me to do?

Many thanks in advance.

Tarek Ziadé 09-21-2012 08:48 AM

Re: "Development mode"

On 9/20/12 9:02 PM, py_lrnr wrote:
> I am new to python and I have come across the following command and its description:
>
>> Now to be able to run the project you will need to install it and its >dependencies.
>> python setup.py develop

> I looked up what the 'develop' argument does and found:
>
>> Extra commands:
>> develop install package in 'development mode'

> I searched for a description of 'development mode' but could not find a good description.
>
> Can anyone (very briefly) explain to me, in a sentence or two:
>
> what 'development mode' is?

> how 'development mode' differs from other 'modes'?
> why/when I would use 'development mode'?
> what 'development mode' does or does not allow me to do?
>
> Many thanks in advance.

This a setuptools / distribute feature that allows you to add a project
to your Python environment without installing it - so you can continue
its "development"

In other words, when you call "python setup.py develop", setuptools will
compile the metadata and hook your project into Python's site-package,
but the packages and modules that will be used are the one in the
directory where you've run that command.

This is useful to continue working on your code and testing it without
having to run "python setup.py install" on every run

see
http://packages.python.org/distribut...velopment-mode