Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: EOS-6D - 20 Mpix FF [ WiFi, GPS ] (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t952344-re-eos-6d-20-mpix-ff-wifi-gps.html)

otter 09-18-2012 05:36 AM

Re: EOS-6D - 20 Mpix FF [ WiFi, GPS ]

On Sep 17, 9:03*pm, Alan Browne <alan.bro...@FreelunchVideotron.ca>
wrote:
> from *http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/
>
> One of the key themes of Photokina 2012 is shaping up be the resurgence
> of the full frame format, with the launch of a raft of cameras featuring
> 24x36mm sensors. First up was Sony, with its SLR-like Alpha SLT-A99 and
> Cyber-Shot RX1 fixed-lens compact. Now, just four days after arch-rival
> Nikon announced what it billed as the 'smallest and lightest full frame
> DSLR' in the shape of the D600, Canon has revealed its own contender -
> the EOS 6D.
>
> The EOS 6D is best seen as a full frame version of the EOS 60D - indeed
> it's very similar in both control layout and dimensions. Its front
> profile is very similar to the Nikon D600, but it's rather slimmer
> front-to-back, and lighter too. However it differs from the Nikon in a
> number of key respects; for example it has Wi-Fi and GPS built-in, while
> the D600 offers a distinctly higher spec'ed autofocus system, dual card
> slots and a built-in flash.
>
> Canon EOS 6D key specifications
>
> 20.2MP full frame CMOS sensor
> DIGIC 5+ image processor
> ISO 100-25600 standard, 50-102800 expanded
> 4.5 fps continuous shooting
> 'Silent' shutter mode
> 1080p30 video recording, stereo sound via external mic
> 11 point AF system, center point cross-type and sensitive to -3 EV
> 63 zone iFCL metering system
> 97% viewfinder coverage; interchangeable screens (including Eg-D grid
> and Eg-S fine-focus)
> 1040k dot 3:2 3" ClearView LCD (fixed)
> Single SD card slot
> Built-in Wi-Fi and GPS
> Single-axis electronic level
>
> --
> "C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-John Keating.

My take is that with the 6D Canon isn't looking to compete with the
D600, as much as it is to create a low cost FF camera but crippled
enough that it didn't threaten the 5D3. I think if they price it low
enough, they will be able to sell some of them. Not a very compelling
camera for enthusiasts, but they can probably move a bunch at Costco.

Charles E. Hardwidge 09-18-2012 08:06 AM

Re: EOS-6D - 20 Mpix FF [ WiFi, GPS ]

"otter" <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> My take is that with the 6D Canon isn't looking to compete with the
> D600, as much as it is to create a low cost FF camera but crippled
> enough that it didn't threaten the 5D3. I think if they price it low
> enough, they will be able to sell some of them. Not a very compelling
> camera for enthusiasts, but they can probably move a bunch at Costco.

This sounds like how Canon treat customers at the Powershot end of the
range. Welcome to the club.

--
Charles E. Hardwidge

Noons 09-18-2012 09:29 AM

Re: EOS-6D - 20 Mpix FF [ WiFi, GPS ]

Charles E. Hardwidge wrote,on my timestamp of 18/09/2012 6:06 PM:

> This sounds like how Canon treat customers at the Powershot end of the range.
> Welcome to the club.

No thanks, that's one club I'll NEVER be in!

Wolfgang Weisselberg 09-18-2012 09:17 PM

Re: EOS-6D - 20 Mpix FF [ WiFi, GPS ]

otter <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 17, 9:03*pm, Alan Browne <alan.bro...@FreelunchVideotron.ca>

>> The EOS 6D is best seen as a full frame version of the EOS 60D - indeed
>> it's very similar in both control layout and dimensions. Its front
>> profile is very similar to the Nikon D600, but it's rather slimmer
>> front-to-back, and lighter too. However it differs from the Nikon in a
>> number of key respects; for example it has Wi-Fi and GPS built-in, while
>> the D600 offers a distinctly higher spec'ed autofocus system, dual card
>> slots and a built-in flash.

>> Canon EOS 6D key specifications

>> 20.2MP full frame CMOS sensor
>> DIGIC 5+ image processor
>> ISO 100-25600 standard, 50-102800 expanded
>> 4.5 fps continuous shooting
>> 'Silent' shutter mode
>> 1080p30 video recording, stereo sound via external mic
>> 11 point AF system, center point cross-type and sensitive to -3 EV
>> 63 zone iFCL metering system
>> 97% viewfinder coverage; interchangeable screens (including Eg-D grid
>> and Eg-S fine-focus)
>> 1040k dot 3:2 3" ClearView LCD (fixed)
>> Single SD card slot
>> Built-in Wi-Fi and GPS
>> Single-axis electronic level

> My take is that with the 6D Canon isn't looking to compete with the
> D600,

Exactly what does the D600 have over the 6D so that people would
change to Nikon? "It's body is 10 gramms less (without battery)
compared to the 6D (with battery)?" "It's larger than the 6D?"

Yes, it's probably a good camera, and surely has interesting
features ... but so is and has the 6D, which steals all the
thunder of the "smallest (and lightest) fullframe camera" claim.
And probably it'll not be the cheapest either ...

> as much as it is to create a low cost FF camera but crippled
> enough that it didn't threaten the 5D3.

The 6D may be the new 5D (Mark I).

Anyway, why *should* Canon build a camera that threatens the
5D3, but won't be interesting to those masses who don't want an
almost-5D3 at almost-5D3 prices?

> I think if they price it low
> enough, they will be able to sell some of them. Not a very compelling
> camera for enthusiasts,

Based on the fact that enthusiasts already have the 7D and will
all buy the 5D3 at least?

Well, the original 5D wasn't a very compelling camera for
enthusiasts either ... by your standards.

-Wolfgang

otter 09-18-2012 11:06 PM

Re: EOS-6D - 20 Mpix FF [ WiFi, GPS ]

On Sep 18, 3:06*am, "Charles E. Hardwidge" <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:
> "otter" <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > My take is that with the 6D Canon isn't looking to compete with the
> > D600, as much as it is to create a low cost FF camera but crippled
> > enough that it didn't threaten the 5D3. *I think if they price it low
> > enough, they will be able to sell some of them. *Not a very compelling
> > camera for enthusiasts, but they can probably move a bunch at Costco.

> This sounds like how Canon treat customers at the Powershot end of the
> range. Welcome to the club.
>
> --
> Charles E. Hardwidge

There is no law that says anyone is required to buy one, and I'm not
going to. If I had some EF lenses and was looking for a cheap Canon
full frame camera, I might consider it, though. Or I might buy a
Nikon D600 or D800.

Or I might blow a lot of money on a different camera that I want more
than I need.

Noons 09-19-2012 05:51 AM

Re: EOS-6D - 20 Mpix FF [ WiFi, GPS ]

otter wrote,on my timestamp of 19/09/2012 9:06 AM:

> Or I might blow a lot of money on a different camera that I want more
> than I need.

Dang, that Sony A99 is looking sooooo good!...

Whisky-dave 09-19-2012 01:00 PM

Re: EOS-6D - 20 Mpix FF [ WiFi, GPS ]

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:06:15 AM UTC+1, otter wrote:
> On Sep 18, 3:06*am, "Charles E. Hardwidge" <nos...@nospam.invalid>
>
> wrote:
>
> > "otter" <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > My take is that with the 6D Canon isn't looking to compete with the

> > > D600, as much as it is to create a low cost FF camera but crippled

> > > enough that it didn't threaten the 5D3. *I think if they price it low

> > > enough, they will be able to sell some of them. *Not a very compelling

> > > camera for enthusiasts, but they can probably move a bunch at Costco.

> > This sounds like how Canon treat customers at the Powershot end of the

> > range. Welcome to the club.

> > --

> > Charles E. Hardwidge

> There is no law that says anyone is required to buy one, and I'm not
>
> going to. If I had some EF lenses and was looking for a cheap Canon
>
> full frame camera, I might consider it, though. Or I might buy a
>
> Nikon D600 or D800.
>

> Or I might blow a lot of money on a different camera that I want more
>
> than I need.

I tend to do that with most purchases.

Noons 09-21-2012 02:57 AM

Re: EOS-6D - 20 Mpix FF [ WiFi, GPS ]

On Sep 19, 7:17*am, Wolfgang Weisselberg <ozcvgt...@sneakemail.com>
wrote:

> Exactly what does the D600 have over the 6D so that people would
> change to Nikon? *"It's body is 10 gramms less (without battery)
> compared to the 6D (with battery)?" *"It's larger than the 6D?"

Er.... Lessee: the D400 is here and available now, the 6D isn't and
won't be until December. Is that enough reality already?

> And probably it'll not be the cheapest either ...

Given the 6D is not yet available from anywhere, that would be a good
prediction...

> Well, the original 5D wasn't a very compelling camera for
> enthusiasts either ... by your standards.

Indeed.

PeterN 09-21-2012 05:46 PM

Re: EOS-6D - 20 Mpix FF [ WiFi, GPS ]

On 9/20/2012 10:57 PM, Noons wrote:
> On Sep 19, 7:17 am, Wolfgang Weisselberg <ozcvgt...@sneakemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Exactly what does the D600 have over the 6D so that people would
>> change to Nikon? "It's body is 10 gramms less (without battery)
>> compared to the 6D (with battery)?" "It's larger than the 6D?"

> Er.... Lessee: the D400 is here and available now, the 6D isn't and
> won't be until December. Is that enough reality already?
>

>> And probably it'll not be the cheapest either ...

> Given the 6D is not yet available from anywhere, that would be a good
> prediction...
>

>> Well, the original 5D wasn't a very compelling camera for
>> enthusiasts either ... by your standards.

> Indeed.

What store has the D400 for immediate delivery.
Have you seen the official announcement?
Link please

--
Peter

Wolfgang Weisselberg 09-22-2012 10:19 AM

Re: EOS-6D - 20 Mpix FF [ WiFi, GPS ]

Noons <wizofoz2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 19, 7:17*am, Wolfgang Weisselberg <ozcvgt...@sneakemail.com>
> wrote:

>> Exactly what does the D600 have over the 6D so that people would
>> change to Nikon? *"It's body is 10 gramms less (without battery)
>> compared to the 6D (with battery)?" *"It's larger than the 6D?"

> Er.... Lessee: the D400 is here and available now, the 6D isn't and
> won't be until December. Is that enough reality already?

The D400 isn't available. Not even for pre-order.
There isn't any official announcement of the D400.
Rumors put the D400 as a crop camera, while the 6D is a full
frame camera.

>> And probably it'll not be the cheapest either ...

> Given the 6D is not yet available from anywhere, that would be a good
> prediction...

And yet is was billed as lightest, smallest, cheapest ...

>> Well, the original 5D wasn't a very compelling camera for
>> enthusiasts either ... by your standards.

> Indeed.

But it was a complete success ...
Maybe your standards are not exactly relevant ...

-Wolfgang