Velocity Reviews

-   -   learning java as a n00b (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t952309-learning-java-as-a-n00b.html)

kurasaki91 09-17-2012 04:16 PM

learning java as a n00b

Everyone here, should have started learning as a noob at once. how you guys learned this language as a noob?
i am planning to do OCA(java 7 SE). do you suggest to write this exam?

markspace 09-17-2012 05:09 PM

Re: learning java as a n00b

On 9/17/2012 9:16 AM, kurasaki91 wrote:
> Everyone here, should have started learning as a noob at once. how
> you guys learned this language as a noob? i am planning to do
> OCA(java 7 SE). do you suggest to write this exam?

I actually took the SJCP exam way back when I first started with Java.
The exam itself was a piece of cake and not really worth the effort,
however studying for it helped me learn Java.

I recommend exam books by Kathy Sierra if you're going to take the exam,
she seems to have the most comprehensive books. I used an earlier
version, but this looks like the current study guide:

<http://www.amazon.com/Programmer-Study-Guide-1Z0-803-Certification/dp/0071772006/>

OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide (Exams 1Z0-803 & 804)
(Certification Press) [Hardcover]
Kathy Sierra (Author), Bert Bates (Author)

Lew 09-17-2012 06:23 PM

Re: learning java as a n00b

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

--
Lew

Arne Vajh°j 09-17-2012 09:40 PM

Re: learning java as a n00b

On 9/17/2012 1:09 PM, markspace wrote:
> On 9/17/2012 9:16 AM, kurasaki91 wrote:
>> Everyone here, should have started learning as a noob at once. how
>> you guys learned this language as a noob? i am planning to do
>> OCA(java 7 SE). do you suggest to write this exam?
>>

> I actually took the SJCP exam way back when I first started with Java.
> The exam itself was a piece of cake and not really worth the effort,
> however studying for it helped me learn Java.
>
> I recommend exam books by Kathy Sierra if you're going to take the exam,
> she seems to have the most comprehensive books. I used an earlier
> version, but this looks like the current study guide:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Programmer-Study-Guide-1Z0-803-Certification/dp/0071772006/>
>

> OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide (Exams 1Z0-803 & 804)
> (Certification Press) [Hardcover]
> Kathy Sierra (Author), Bert Bates (Author)

I will second that.

Sierra and Bates are pretty good.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j 09-17-2012 09:43 PM

Re: learning java as a n00b

On 9/17/2012 12:16 PM, kurasaki91 wrote:
> Everyone here, should have started learning as a noob at once. how you guys learned this language as a noob?
> i am planning to do OCA(java 7 SE). do you suggest to write this exam?

I will suggest:
1) Get a good Java beginners book
2) Supplement with stuff on the internet like the official Java tutorial
3) Get a study guide for that specific certification

Arne

Roedy Green 09-18-2012 11:29 AM

Re: learning java as a n00b

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:16:27 -0700 (PDT), kurasaki91
<parthiban679@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
who said :

>Everyone here, should have started learning as a noob at once. how you guys learned this language as a noob?
>i am planning to do OCA(java 7 SE). do you suggest to write this exam?

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

the most important thing is to find yourself some projects to
implement. Just reading texts gives you a very shallow understanding.
A project motivates you to dig in.

See http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html
for some project ideas.
The iPhone 5 is a low end Rolex.