Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Python2.4 on Win32 suddenly started crashing last night (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t952150-re-python2-4-on-win32-suddenly-started-crashing-last-night.html)

Tim Chase 09-13-2012 01:08 PM

On 09/13/12 07:42, Tim Chase wrote:
> It was working as of last night, and to the best of my knowledge,
> nothing was changed on the system. It took a while to track it
> down, but it came from importing smtplib which in turn imports socket.
>
> I've tried "import socket" and it crashes, but then tried importing
> each of the modules that are imported in socket.py and nothing dies:
>
> C:\Program Files\Python24\Lib>python
> Python 2.4.3 (#69, Mar 29 2006, 17:35:34) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
> (Intel)] on win32

> 'win32'

> [win32 crash happens here]

Further diagnostics (copying socket.py to suckit.py and adding a
sys.exit(1) at various points and then importing sucket) seem to
point to this line in socket.py:

__all__.extend(os._get_exports_list(_socket))

So I can reduce the case to

>>> import _socket
>>> import os
>>> os._get_exports_list(_socket)

and it goes kablooie. If I do the same with _ssl:

>>> import _ssl
>>> import os
>>> os._get_exports_list(_ssl)

and it works fine.