Velocity Reviews

-   -   warehouse kindle (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t951903-warehouse-kindle.html)

Reg@nospam.com 09-06-2012 08:56 PM

warehouse kindle

The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

Reg@nospam.com 09-06-2012 10:33 PM

Re: warehouse kindle

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, Reg@nospam.com wrote:

>The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
>sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

i should have googled this first
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...topicid=101774

Frank Williams 09-06-2012 10:35 PM

Re: warehouse kindle

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, Reg@nospam.com wrote:

>The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
>sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

Don't waste your money get a product that can Read colour PDF files
and the Kindle is way way out of date now.

To read PDF files a 10" is considered better.

David Empson 09-07-2012 12:16 AM

Re: warehouse kindle

<Reg@nospam.com> wrote:

> The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
> sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

It shows advertisements. Not sure how/where they appear, as I haven't
paid close attention to the details.

In the US, that model is somewhat cheaper than the non-sponsored one
(which doesn't show ads).

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

JohnO 09-07-2012 12:46 AM

Re: warehouse kindle

On Friday, 7 September 2012 10:32:22 UTC+12, (unknown) wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, Reg@nospam.com wrote:
>

> >The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import

> >sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

> i should have googled this first
>
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...topicid=101774

I ordered the one without the sponsored ads as to me the price difference didn't warrant the messy intrusion.

Of interest is the extra price option of 3G. With this, you don't need to be in a WIFI zone to browse, purchase and download books - almost anywhere in the world with cellular coverage and it just works. Not only that, it is free and without any form of cellular account, in the vast majority of countries where you are likely to be (subject to the fine print of course).

Gordon 09-07-2012 05:18 AM

Re: warehouse kindle

On 2012-09-06, Reg@nospam.com <Reg@nospam.com> wrote:
> The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
> sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

Ads until you chuck it in the bin.

Gordon 09-07-2012 05:22 AM

Re: warehouse kindle

On 2012-09-06, Frank Williams <FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, Reg@nospam.com wrote:
>
>>The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
>>sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

> Don't waste your money get a product that can Read colour PDF files
> and the Kindle is way way out of date now.
>
> To read PDF files a 10" is considered better.

Greetings Roger,

Good to see you have returned. Kindle is about books, you know close to
ASCII text. PDFs are the zip file of the printed page.

Gordon 09-07-2012 05:24 AM

Re: warehouse kindle

On 2012-09-07, JohnO <johno1234@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 7 September 2012 10:32:22 UTC+12, (unknown) wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, Reg@nospam.com wrote:
>>

>> >The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import

>> >sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

>> i should have googled this first
>>
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...topicid=101774

> I ordered the one without the sponsored ads as to me the price difference didn't warrant the messy intrusion.
>
> Of interest is the extra price option of 3G. With this, you don't need to be in a WIFI zone to browse, purchase and download books - almost anywhere in the world with cellular coverage and it just works. Not only that, it is free and without any form of cellular account, in the vast majority of countries where you are likely to be (subject to the fine print of course).

I see some irony in this, you can downlaod a book anywhere, which takes ones
some many hours or reading pleasure.

Frank Williams 09-07-2012 07:03 AM

Re: warehouse kindle

On 7 Sep 2012 05:22:04 GMT, Gordon <Gordon@clear.net.nz> wrote:

>On 2012-09-06, Frank Williams <FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, Reg@nospam.com wrote:
>>
>>>The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
>>>sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

>> Don't waste your money get a product that can Read colour PDF files
>> and the Kindle is way way out of date now.
>>
>> To read PDF files a 10" is considered better.
>>

>Greetings Roger,
>
>Good to see you have returned. Kindle is about books, you know close to
>ASCII text. PDFs are the zip file of the printed page.

Yes very obsolete as they are now been replaced with new ones, and PDF
files are listed ass Ebooks..

victor 09-07-2012 09:43 PM

Re: warehouse kindle

On 7/09/2012 5:22 p.m., Gordon wrote:
> On 2012-09-06, Frank Williams <FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:56:33 +1200, Reg@nospam.com wrote:
>>
>>> The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
>>> sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

>> Don't waste your money get a product that can Read colour PDF files
>> and the Kindle is way way out of date now.
>>
>> To read PDF files a 10" is considered better.
>>

> Greetings Roger,
>
> Good to see you have returned. Kindle is about books, you know close to
> ASCII text. PDFs are the zip file of the printed page.

Amazon have 62% of the e-book market, ibook store has 16%, Barnes &
Noble has 20%, none of them are pdf books.
Amazon just released a new e-ink kindle, so its definitely not out of date.
The ipad is a great media player, the Kindle is the best e-reader.