Velocity Reviews

-   -   Books on Creating A Web Service (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t951713-books-on-creating-a-web-service.html)

clusardi2k@aol.com 09-02-2012 04:50 PM

Books on Creating A Web Service

Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with detailed step by step examples is desired.

Thank you,

Arne Vajh°j 09-02-2012 04:57 PM

Re: Books on Creating A Web Service

On 9/2/2012 12:50 PM, clusardi2k@aol.com wrote:
> Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with detailed step by step examples is desired.

I don't think a book is necessary.

http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/tutorial/doc/bnayk.html

Arne

Martin Gregorie 09-02-2012 05:21 PM

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 09:50:24 -0700, clusardi2k wrote:

> Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with detailed
> step by step examples is desired.

What do you mean by a 'web service' and what must it support?

IOW if you start by installing a good web server, such as Apache, which
provides plain HTML and simple web logins out of the box, what else is
required? Tomcat? Beans? JSP? SQL/NoSQL DB support?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Arne Vajh├Şj 09-02-2012 06:03 PM

On 9/2/2012 1:21 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 09:50:24 -0700, clusardi2k wrote:
>
>> Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with detailed
>> step by step examples is desired.
>>

> What do you mean by a 'web service' and what must it support?
>
> IOW if you start by installing a good web server, such as Apache, which
> provides plain HTML and simple web logins out of the box, what else is
> required? Tomcat? Beans? JSP? SQL/NoSQL DB support?

The term "web service" is generally used to describe
a programmatic service with HTTP as the protocol.

In the Java world that means JAX-WS (for SOAP) and
JAX-RS (fro RESTful).

And a servlet container like Tomcat.

Arne

clusardi2k@aol.com 09-10-2012 12:02 PM

On Sunday, September 2, 2012 12:50:24 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with detailed step by step examples is desired. Thank you,

I'm new to building web services. Can you recommend a "good" general book for me to read. Again, I'm trying to understand the basic steps involved. It has to be detailed/practical enough for me to use.

Thanks,

markspace 09-10-2012 02:59 PM

On 9/10/2012 5:02 AM, clusardi2k@aol.com wrote:
> On Sunday, September 2, 2012 12:50:24 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
>> Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with
>> detailed step by step examples is desired. Thank you,

> I'm new to building web services. Can you recommend a "good" general
> book for me to read. Again, I'm trying to understand the basic steps
> involved. It has to be detailed/practical enough for me to use.

Try this:

<http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596521134.do>

Arne Vajh°j 09-11-2012 12:38 AM

On 9/10/2012 8:02 AM, clusardi2k@aol.com wrote:
> On Sunday, September 2, 2012 12:50:24 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
>> Are there any good books on creating a web service. A book with detailed step by step examples is desired.

> I'm new to building web services. Can you recommend a "good" general
> book for me to read. Again, I'm trying to understand the basic steps
> involved. It has to be detailed/practical enough for me to use.

What is missing in the Java EE tutorial?

Arne