Velocity Reviews

-   -   My computer cannot see another from home wireless LAN (two routers) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t951361-my-computer-cannot-see-another-from-home-wireless-lan-two-routers.html)

rxjwg98@gmail.com 08-25-2012 01:45 AM

My computer cannot see another from home wireless LAN (two routers)

Hi,
In my home, we have two routers, each one connects to one computer due to they are separated two far away. BTW, two routers are wireless for WiFi usage although these two desktop computers are wired directly to the routers. One computer OS is Vista while the other is Windows 7. I set up network sharing according to:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/...s-7-and-vista/

But each computer cannot see another. I don't know whether it is caused by two routers connection. This is different from two computers connect to onerouter configuration. Please confirm me whether my analysis is correct or not. How to setup the computers to make them sharing files. Thanks in advance.

Jeff Strickland 08-25-2012 10:39 AM

Re: My computer cannot see another from home wireless LAN (two routers)

<rxjwg98@gmail.com> wrote in message
Hi,
In my home, we have two routers, each one connects to one computer due to
they are separated two far away. BTW, two routers are wireless for WiFi
usage although these two desktop computers are wired directly to the
routers. One computer OS is Vista while the other is Windows 7. I set up
network sharing according to:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/...s-7-and-vista/

But each computer cannot see another. I don't know whether it is caused by
two routers connection. This is different from two computers connect to one
router configuration. Please confirm me whether my analysis is correct or
not. How to setup the computers to make them sharing files. Thanks in
advance.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You do not need two routers. You need one router with one of the computers
connected to it by CAT5 cable. You need CAT5 coming in from the street that
goes directly to the router, then a CAT5 from the router to the computer.
You need the router to be a WIRELESS ROUTER, with a specification of
802.11n.

Then, the second computer needs to have a wireless adaptor that is also
802.11n.

The first computer is used to set the SSID and passcode into the router
settings. The second computer looks for the available wireless routers, and
you select your SSID from the list, and enter the passcode. Once you have
done this successfully, it will happen automatically when the machine is
started.

You have established basic communications from the two machines to the
outside world -- internet.

To have the two machines talk to each other, you must create a Workgroup,
and in the workgroup you can then share files among Shared Folders.

Your router has a name (SSID) that makes no sense to you, something like
5TH2M, and you want it to be named ROBERT because you can remember it. It
also has a 10-digit passcode that you will never remember. The default SSID
and passcode are printed on a sticker on the router, but you can go into the
router and change the defaults to user friendly information. You can set the
security as WPA or WEP. WEP is easier but not as strong. With WEP, you must
use 10 digits in a range of 0-9 + A-F. A phone number works perfectly, but
YOUR phone number is probably a bad choice because if somebody discovers
that the SSID they want to hack is yours, then they will try your phone
number. They probably won't try your grandmother's phone number though. YOU
WANT THIS TO BE EASY FOR YOU TO REMEMBER because if you get a visitor to
your house that brings a laptop or tablet, they will see your SSID and you
will have to tell them the passcode so they can use it to go online.

So, you go into your router and set the SSID and passcode to user-friendly
information so that your visitors can use your internet connection with
their wireless device.

After you do this, you use Windows to create a workgroup AND you designate
folders within each of the computers in the workgroup as Shared Folders.
Then as you work on each machine, you save your work to a shared folder on
one machine so that you can access the same file from another machine in the
workgroup.