Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Need help with a program. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t951148-re-need-help-with-a-program.html)

Leif Roar Moldskred 08-20-2012 06:58 PM

Re: Need help with a program.

To: yanamandra
From: Leif Roar Moldskred <leifm@dimnakorr.com>

yanamandra <venu.yanamandra@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why does the function printall() print the base class (c1) member
> values? If that is reasonable, what is the method to print the
> extended class (cls) values using the base class function printall().

I take it school's back in session? The issue you're running into is called
variable shadowing. Reading up on that should give you the answer to your
problem.

--
Leif Roar Moldskred

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

yanamandra 08-20-2012 06:58 PM

Re: Need help with a program.

To: Leif Roar Moldskred
From: yanamandra <venu.yanamandra@gmail.com>

On Monday, August 20, 2012 3:11:28 PM UTC+5:30, Leif Roar Moldskred wrote:
> yanamandra wrote: > Why does the function printall() print the base class

(c1) member > values? If that is reasonable, what is the method to print the >
extended class (cls) values using the base class function printall(). I take it
school's back in session? The issue you're running into is called variable
shadowing. Reading up on that should give you the answer to your problem. --
Leif Roar Moldskred

But, variable shadowing is about the instance and local || local and scope
specific. I have read the articles again after you asked me too. No luck on the
exact problem I am mentioning.

I am talking about inherited variables. there is i1, i2 and i3 in the super
class with a method printall. there are the same 3 variables in the derived
class but there is no printall method in the sub class. When printall() is
invoked from the derived class's object, it still prints the super-class's
values.

And, if this is reasonable, what is the method by which I can get: 40, 50 and
60 as the output from printall() when I invoke it using a derived class's
object?

-Venu