Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tools/frameworks for Java multi-core programming? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t950925-tools-frameworks-for-java-multi-core-programming.html)

anthonycwmak 08-16-2012 07:16 PM

Tools/frameworks for Java multi-core programming?

From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-73m-this>

From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-z1z-this>

From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-fcj-this>

From: anthonycwmak@gmail.com

I am trying to find tools/frameworks that help with writing Java program that
can utilize multi-core CPU. So far I only found jconcurr, JOMP, JAMP, Ateji,
but they all either requires special shell command to compile and run the
programs, or, in Ateji's case use a special file extension which is converted
to java file. This doesn't seem to be ideal if I require to build multi-core
programs that can be built on Maven or similar, and requires them to run on an
enterprise environment or application server.

Besides writing concurrent programs, by using Java Concurrency API directly, to
utilize the multi-core, are there other easier/simpler way to create Java
enterprise applications that utlize multi-core CPUs? Preferably, just annotate
my POJOs to make them multi-core capable?

Kind Regards,
Anthony Mak

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

mr amitghuge1 08-16-2012 07:16 PM

Re: Tools/frameworks for Java multi-core programming?

To: anthonycwmak
From: "mr amitghuge1" <mr.amitghuge1@1:261/38.remove-73m-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: "mr amitghuge1" <mr.amitghuge1@1:261/38.remove-z1z-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: "mr amitghuge1" <mr.amitghuge1@1:261/38.remove-fcj-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: mr.amitghuge1@gmail.com

http://tutorialswithexamples.com/cat...-logging-apis/

Robert Klemme 08-17-2012 06:56 PM

Re: Tools/frameworks for Java multi-core programming?

To: anthonycwmak
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-s96-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-73m-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-z1z-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com>

On 14.08.2012 07:48, anthonycwmak@gmail.com wrote:
> I am trying to find tools/frameworks that help with writing Java
> program that can utilize multi-core CPU. So far I only found
> jconcurr, JOMP, JAMP, Ateji, but they all either requires special
> shell command to compile and run the programs, or, in Ateji's case
> use a special file extension which is converted to java file. This
> doesn't seem to be ideal if I require to build multi-core programs
> that can be built on Maven or similar,

Why is that an issue? Typically you can include custom build procedures in a
build tool / framework.

> and requires them to run on an
> enterprise environment or application server.

If you are on an JEE application server that will usually take care of the
concurrency. You typically need to use those APIs the JEE spec or AS at hand
provides to not interfere with the framework in bad ways (e.g. by breaking
transactions). That does not seem like a bad option although AS come with
their own learning curve.

> Besides writing concurrent programs, by using Java Concurrency API
> directly, to utilize the multi-core, are there other easier/simpler
> way to create Java enterprise applications that utlize multi-core
> CPUs? Preferably, just annotate my POJOs to make them multi-core
> capable?

"Making a POJO multi-core capable" is meaningless. Using concurrency is more
like an architectural property of your application (even though you need to
take care to use POJOs properly - but it's not enough to make POJOs thread
safe). At this point I am suspecting that someone told you modern Java
programs must use multiple cores and you want to get it done easily.
Unfortunately that won't work: you need to understand the particular issues
associated with concurrency to properly craft such applications - even if you
use a framework that takes away a large part of the work from you.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Lew 08-17-2012 06:56 PM

Re: Tools/frameworks for Java multi-core programming?

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Lew" <lew@1:261/38.remove-s96-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Lew" <lew@1:261/38.remove-73m-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Lew" <lew@1:261/38.remove-z1z-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: Lew <lewbloch@gmail.com>

Robert Klemme wrote:
> anthonycwmak wrote:
>> I am trying to find tools/frameworks that help with writing Java
>> program that can utilize multi-core CPU. So far I only found

Java programs can "utilize" multi-core CPUs out of the box. You need do nothing
special.

>> jconcurr, JOMP, JAMP, Ateji, but they all either requires special
>> shell command to compile and run the programs, or, in Ateji's case
>> use a special file extension which is converted to java file. This
>> doesn't seem to be ideal if I require to build multi-core programs
>> that can be built on Maven or similar,

> Why is that an issue? Typically you can include custom build procedures
> in a build tool / framework.

>> and requires them to run on an
>> enterprise environment or application server.

> If you are on an JEE application server that will usually take care of
> the concurrency. You typically need to use those APIs the JEE spec or
> AS at hand provides to not interfere with the framework in bad ways
> (e.g. by breaking transactions). That does not seem like a bad option
> although AS come with their own learning curve.

>> Besides writing concurrent programs, by using Java Concurrency API
>> directly, to utilize the multi-core, are there other easier/simpler
>> way to create Java enterprise applications that utlize multi-core
>> CPUs? Preferably, just annotate my POJOs to make them multi-core
>> capable?

> "Making a POJO multi-core capable" is meaningless. Using concurrency is
> more like an architectural property of your application (even though you
> need to take care to use POJOs properly - but it's not enough to make
> POJOs thread safe). At this point I am suspecting that someone told you
> modern Java programs must use multiple cores and you want to get it done
> easily. Unfortunately that won't work: you need to understand the
> particular issues associated with concurrency to properly craft such
> applications - even if you use a framework that takes away a large part
> of the work from you.

As Robert said, if you're writing enterprise apps using Java EE, then the
threading is already done. You should pretty much never explicitly code a Java
EE component to spawn a thread.

Java SE is another matter. You do have to use thread calls to spawn threads.
Once you have at least two threads in a program (and all Java programs do),
then you are multi-core capable.

Java programs that use threads are already multi-core capable.

Boom, done.

What are you really after?

--
Lew

anthonycwmak 08-18-2012 07:37 PM

Re: Tools/frameworks for Java multi-core programming?

To: Robert Klemme
From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-rj6-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-4g4-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-s96-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: anthonycwmak@gmail.com

hi Robert, Lew,

Thanks you guys for reminding me about not to spawn threads on JEE applications
directly. I should look into perhaps using EJB Timer and other ways to
implement concurrency properly in enterprise app.

I am interested Loop Parallelization (and Tash Parallelization, Pipeline
Paralleization etc) as supported by tools such as jconqurr etc. Which could be
useful for scientific applications and matrix operations. (I looked into divide
and conquer approaches like MapReduce as well.) But I like the idea like
jconqurr and other tools, that I can implement parallelization with just code
annotations. At least in those simple case that locking and consistency is not
a problem. Thanks for pointing out I can make custom building procedure with a
build tool, just that if the parallelization tool/frameworks don't require
command line building it is preferable to me.

I am interested in multi-core programming because a while ago there have been
some buzz about how to utilize multi-core or even GPU for example for
scientific applications. And, I was wondering how to do that in Java. :) Just
curious.

Anthony

markspace 08-18-2012 07:37 PM

Re: Tools/frameworks for Java multi-core programming?

To: anthonycwmak
From: "markspace" <markspace@1:261/38.remove-rj6-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: "markspace" <markspace@1:261/38.remove-4g4-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: "markspace" <markspace@1:261/38.remove-s96-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: markspace <-@.>

On 8/15/2012 6:50 PM, anthonycwmak@gmail.com wrote:

> I am interested in multi-core programming because a while ago there
> have been some buzz about how to utilize multi-core or even GPU for
> example for scientific applications. And, I was wondering how to do
> that in Java. :) Just curious.

Introduction here:

<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/concurrency/forkjoin.html>

jlp 08-24-2012 06:07 PM

Le 18/08/2012 21:37, markspace a écrit :
> To: anthonycwmak
> From: "markspace" <markspace@1:261/38.remove-rj6-this>
>
> To: anthonycwmak
> From: "markspace" <markspace@1:261/38.remove-4g4-this>
>
> To: anthonycwmak
> From: "markspace" <markspace@1:261/38.remove-s96-this>
>
> To: anthonycwmak
> From: markspace <-@.>
>
> On 8/15/2012 6:50 PM, anthonycwmak@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> I am interested in multi-core programming because a while ago there
>> have been some buzz about how to utilize multi-core or even GPU for
>> example for scientific applications. And, I was wondering how to do
>> that in Java. :) Just curious.

> Introduction here:
>
> <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/concurrency/forkjoin.html>
>
> -+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
> + Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
> -+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
> Time Warp of the Future BBS - telnet://time.synchro.net:24
>
> -+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
> + Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
> -+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
> Time Warp of the Future BBS - telnet://time.synchro.net:24
>
> -+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
> + Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
> -+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
> Time Warp of the Future BBS - telnet://time.synchro.net:24
>
> --- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
> * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
> --- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
> Time Warp of the Future BBS - telnet://time.synchro.net:24

see also akka Actors(Scala) that runs also with Java ( there is a
JavaDoc API). It uses the forkjoin pattern pointed by markspace
--
Cordialement
Jean-Louis Pasturel

John B. Matthews 08-25-2012 01:32 PM

Re: Tools/frameworks for Java multi-core programming?

In article <5037c2e9$0$6209$ba4acef3@reader.news.orange.fr> ,
jlp <jlp@jlp.com> wrote:

> Le 18/08/2012 21:37, markspace a écrit :
> > To: anthonycwmak

[...]
> > On 8/15/2012 6:50 PM, anthonycwmak@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >> I am interested in multi-core programming because a while ago
> >> there have been some buzz about how to utilize multi-core or even
> >> GPU for example for scientific applications. And, I was wondering
> >> how to do that in Java. :) Just curious.

> > Introduction here:
> >
> > <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/concurrency/forkjoin.html>

[...]

> see also akka Actors(Scala) that runs also with Java (there is a
> JavaDoc API). It uses the forkjoin pattern pointed by markspace

Please do not propagate synkro.noise [sic], as it may cause your post to
be filtered unexpectedly.

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com