Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: hashCode (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t950544-re-hashcode.html)

Arne Vajh°j 08-13-2012 07:38 PM

Re: hashCode

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Arne Vajhoj" <arne.vajhoj@1:261/38.remove-nlb-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: Arne Vajhoj <arne@vajhoej.dk>

On 8/12/2012 11:06 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:
> On 11.08.2012 01:27, Arne Vajhoj wrote:

>>> Better in the sense that you would never HAVE to override hashCode.
>>>
>>> Now, there are cases where you HAVE to override it, or your code is
>>> very broken.

>> It is not broken.
>>
>> It will perform poorly in many cases.

> Well, I would go as far as to say that it will perform poorly in all
> cases where hashCode() is actually needed

More or less.

> - and that makes it broken.

This thread started about whether it is correct. The term correct has a very
specific meaning in programming and that always return 1 code is correct.

Now you talk about broken. If broken means not good, then you are right. If
broken means not correct, then you are wrong. I suspect that broken is not very
well defined.

> The whole idea of hashing is based on the fact that the hash code
> _somehow_ represents the item to be hashed. If all items have the same
> constant hash code there is no point in hashing at all. So while it
> does work, it does not work as intended.

It disable the entire hashing functionality and a HashMap get characteristics
of ArrayList.

But the code should actually work.

Arne

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98