Velocity Reviews

-   -   Binary Image processing library (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t949915-binary-image-processing-library.html)

Malcolm McLean 08-11-2012 08:43 PM

Binary Image processing library

My binary image processing library has gradually been building up.
The time has come to ask for suggestions and comments. The idea is
to provide a C language resource for people with a need to handle
binary images.

http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/...rylibrary.html

Obviously one priority is that everything is in portable ANSI C.
Another is that the interfaces are clean, and functions can be cut and pasted
with a minimum of fuss if people don't want to use the entire library.

jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk 08-11-2012 11:10 PM

Re: Binary Image processing library

Malcolm McLean wrote:
> My binary image processing library has gradually been building up.

Binary images of what? An executable? A disk?

> http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/...rylibrary.html

Oh! Pictures. I'd recommend you clarify your terminology.

JGH

jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk 08-12-2012 05:26 PM

Vincenzo Mercuri wrote:
> What's the problem with his terminology? You only need to know what
> a "binary image" is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_image

That refers to two-colour images, the OP's link discussed
multi-coloured images.

> "binary image processing library" is proper wording.

A binary image could be an executable file, could be a file
representing the contents of a disk, could be many other things,
could be anything that is represented in binary format.

"Image" is the usual term for pictures. Image processing,
image manipulation, image recovery, raster image, vector
image - all standard terms that refer to pictures. After
all, as it's being processed as data, the "binary" is implied.

JGH

Ben Bacarisse 08-12-2012 08:46 PM

jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk writes:

> Vincenzo Mercuri wrote:
>> What's the problem with his terminology? You only need to know what
>> a "binary image" is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_image

> That refers to two-colour images, the OP's link discussed
> multi-coloured images.

Eh? The OP code deals with images with pixels that can set or unset (0
and 1 are the only valid pixel values).

>> "binary image processing library" is proper wording.

> A binary image could be an executable file, could be a file
> representing the contents of a disk, could be many other things,
> could be anything that is represented in binary format.

I think it might be slightly clearer to write "binary-image processing
library" so that it's clear that it's the image that has the binary
property, but that's a small matter.

> "Image" is the usual term for pictures. Image processing,
> image manipulation, image recovery, raster image, vector
> image - all standard terms that refer to pictures. After
> all, as it's being processed as data, the "binary" is implied.

That argument cuts the other way as far as I am concerned. Because all
modern computer data is binary, qualifying "image" with "binary" makes
the meaning clear.

--
Ben.

88888 Dihedral 08-12-2012 10:06 PM

Re: Binary Image processing library

Malcolm McLean於 2012年8月12日星期日UTC+8上午4時43分04秒 寫道:
> My binary image processing library has gradually been building up.
>
> The time has come to ask for suggestions and comments. The idea is
>
> to provide a C language resource for people with a need to handle
>
> binary images.
>

> http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/...rylibrary.html
>

> Obviously one priority is that everything is in portable ANSI C.
>
> Another is that the interfaces are clean, and functions can be cut and pasted
>
> with a minimum of fuss if people don't want to use the entire library.

Do you plan to synthesize 3D images or layors of images not ?

Now it is 2012, I'll assume that you can check the open source GTK/GIMG first.

Malcolm McLean 08-12-2012 10:06 PM

Re: Binary Image processing library

בתאריך יום ראשון, 12 באוגוסט 2012 21:46:53 UTC+1, מאת Ben Bacarisse:
> jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk writes:
>
> That argument cuts the other way as far as I am concerned. Because all
> modern computer data is binary, qualifying "image" with "binary" makes
> the meaning clear.

I want the ibrary to be found by people typing search terms into Google.
I would use the term "binary image processing" myself, but it doesn't come
up with many good hits, which was part of the motivation for putting the
library together.

88888 Dihedral 08-12-2012 10:08 PM

Re: Binary Image processing library

Malcolm McLean於 2012年8月12日星期日UTC+8上午4時43分04秒 寫道:
> My binary image processing library has gradually been building up.
>
> The time has come to ask for suggestions and comments. The idea is
>
> to provide a C language resource for people with a need to handle
>
> binary images.
>

> http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/...rylibrary.html
>

> Obviously one priority is that everything is in portable ANSI C.
>
> Another is that the interfaces are clean, and functions can be cut and pasted
>
> with a minimum of fuss if people don't want to use the entire library.

Check the GIMP first. http://www.gimp.org/

I'll assume that you are asking something nontrivial in processing
digital images.

Alan Curry 08-12-2012 10:56 PM

Re: Binary Image processing library

In article <a81cd491-7b5d-4551-b1d7-0e9507e3fade@googlegroups.com>,
Malcolm McLean <malcolm.mclean5@btinternet.com> wrote:
>I want the ibrary to be found by people typing search terms into Google.
>I would use the term "binary image processing" myself, but it doesn't come
>up with many good hits, which was part of the motivation for putting the
>library together.

The keywords I'd use for that Google search might include:
bitmap
1bpp
monochrome
pbm

I'm especially puzzled that nobody has mentioned "bitmap". In my mind
that's the standard term for images with a single bit per pixel.

wikipedia's "Bitmap" article sort of agrees with me:

: In some contexts, the term bitmap implies one bit per pixel, while
: pixmap is used for images with multiple bits per pixel.

I guess I come from those "some contexts". "Binary image" is a mostly
meaningless phrase to me, since there are so many kinds of images and
not so many non-binary computers. Even now, knowing what you mean by it,
I have little confidence that the next time I see it it will mean the
same thing.

--
Alan Curry

BartC 08-12-2012 11:32 PM

"Vincenzo Mercuri" <vincenzo.mercuri@yahoo.it> wrote in message
> Il 12/08/2012 01:10, jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk ha scritto:
>> Malcolm McLean wrote:
>>> My binary image processing library has gradually been building up.

>> Binary images of what? An executable? A disk?
>>
>>> http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/...rylibrary.html

>> Oh! Pictures. I'd recommend you clarify your terminology.

> What's the problem with his terminology? You only need to know what
> a "binary image" is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_image
>
> "binary image processing library" is proper wording.

It might be proper but it's confusing.

I would use black & white, mono, bi-level, or just 1-bit, compared with
greyscale, palette (usually 16 or 256-colour) or full-colour images.

The confusion is compounded by the use of a 'char' type to store the data;
presumably each char represents one pixel? Most stored representations would
store 8 pixels per byte, but that point doesn't seem to be stated
explicitly.

(A bit wasteful, but an image library using char/byte types to represent
each pixel might as well deal with greyscale too.)

--
Bartc

Malcolm McLean 08-13-2012 07:56 AM

Re: Binary Image processing library

בתאריך יום ש*י,13 באוגוסט 2012 00:32:01 UTC+1, מאת Bart:
> "Vincenzo Mercuri" <vincenzo.mercuri@yahoo.it> wrote in message
>

> The confusion is compounded by the use of a 'char' type to store the data;
> presumably each char represents one pixel? Most stored representations would
> store 8 pixels per byte, but that point doesn't seem to be stated
> explicitly.
>

> (A bit wasteful, but an image library using char/byte types to represent
> each pixel might as well deal with greyscale too.)

My thinking was that memory isn't likely to be at such a premium that a
bit per pixel representation is worth it, given the complexities it adds
to the code and the interface.