Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Raw photo software (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t949912-raw-photo-software.html)

Mayayana 08-11-2012 08:42 PM

Raw photo software
 
XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
for processing raw photos?

Photos from Nikon and Panasonic cameras.

No Photoshop.

RawTherapee sometimes crashes with a VC++ runtime error.

UFRaw crashes generally. (GIMP 2.8 is installed with UFRaw
installed to the GIMP folder. I haven't yet tried installing an
earlier GIMP version.)

Found Delaboratory but haven't yet tried it.

Another option seems to be Photiva. But Delaboratory
and Photiva both seem to be lacking even the most
basic documentation.

Panasonic software is pretty good, but only for the
Panasonic camera. Nikon's ViewNX is limited and their
more involved software is expensive.




PeterN 08-11-2012 08:57 PM

Re: Raw photo software
 
On 8/11/2012 4:42 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
> for processing raw photos?
>
> Photos from Nikon and Panasonic cameras.
>
> No Photoshop.
>
> RawTherapee sometimes crashes with a VC++ runtime error.
>
> UFRaw crashes generally. (GIMP 2.8 is installed with UFRaw
> installed to the GIMP folder. I haven't yet tried installing an
> earlier GIMP version.)
>
> Found Delaboratory but haven't yet tried it.
>
> Another option seems to be Photiva. But Delaboratory
> and Photiva both seem to be lacking even the most
> basic documentation.
>
> Panasonic software is pretty good, but only for the
> Panasonic camera. Nikon's ViewNX is limited and their
> more involved software is expensive.
>


Try Corel PhotoPaint.



--
Peter

Bruce 08-11-2012 09:14 PM

Re: Raw photo software
 
"Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
>for processing raw photos?
>
>Photos from Nikon and Panasonic cameras.
>
>No Photoshop.
>
>RawTherapee sometimes crashes with a VC++ runtime error.
>
>UFRaw crashes generally. (GIMP 2.8 is installed with UFRaw
>installed to the GIMP folder. I haven't yet tried installing an
>earlier GIMP version.)
>
>Found Delaboratory but haven't yet tried it.
>
> Another option seems to be Photiva. But Delaboratory
>and Photiva both seem to be lacking even the most
>basic documentation.
>
> Panasonic software is pretty good, but only for the
>Panasonic camera. Nikon's ViewNX is limited and their
>more involved software is expensive.



Try here:
<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5389>



nospam 08-11-2012 11:34 PM

Re: Raw photo software
 
In article <k06frj$s9a$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
> for processing raw photos?


lightroom.

Mayayana 08-12-2012 12:12 AM

Re: Raw photo software
 
| > XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
| > for processing raw photos?
|
| lightroom.

The latest version doesn't support XP. But I'm
not sure it's really what I'm looking for, either.
It seems to be a photo organizer. (The descriptions
are vague.)



Mayayana 08-12-2012 12:17 AM

Re: Raw photo software
 
| Try Corel PhotoPaint.
|

That seems to be a basic grpahic editor. I'm looking
specifically for a raw photo editor. At this point I'm
looking for open source options, mainly because the
price of Photoshop is absurd. But a very good program
at a reasonable price would also be fine.



Mayayana 08-12-2012 12:21 AM

Re: Raw photo software
 
| Try here:
| <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5389>
|

That's something I didn't know about, but how
does it apply to raw photo editors? UFRaw and
RawTherapee can both handle different formats.
I can open a Nikon .NEF in either, for instance.
It's just that the programs themselves don't seem
to be stable. Would conversion to the neutral format
help with that?



nospam 08-12-2012 12:27 AM

Re: Raw photo software
 
In article <k06s4o$2js$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | > XP 32-bit. Can anyone shed some light on stable options
> | > for processing raw photos?
> |
> | lightroom.
>
> The latest version doesn't support XP.


maybe you can still find an older version.

> But I'm
> not sure it's really what I'm looking for, either.
> It seems to be a photo organizer. (The descriptions
> are vague.)


it's an organizer, raw processor, output manager (print, web, slide
show, books, etc.) and more.

it does just about everything most people need.

highly recommended.

30 day free trial (although probably not for the older xp compatible
version).

nospam 08-12-2012 12:38 AM

Re: Raw photo software
 
In article <k06sll$51t$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | Try here:
> | <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5389>
> |
>
> That's something I didn't know about, but how
> does it apply to raw photo editors? UFRaw and
> RawTherapee can both handle different formats.
> I can open a Nikon .NEF in either, for instance.
> It's just that the programs themselves don't seem
> to be stable. Would conversion to the neutral format
> help with that?


adobe camera raw (part of lightroom) will process just about any raw
format there is.

PeterN 08-12-2012 01:19 AM

Re: Raw photo software
 
On 8/11/2012 8:17 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> | Try Corel PhotoPaint.
> |
>
> That seems to be a basic grpahic editor. I'm looking
> specifically for a raw photo editor. At this point I'm
> looking for open source options, mainly because the
> price of Photoshop is absurd. But a very good program
> at a reasonable price would also be fine.
>
>


I was just playing with Corel PhotoPaint, Sorry, I meant Paint Shop Pro,
also a Corel product. They have a 30day free trial.

--
Peter


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.