Velocity Reviews

-   -   scanning widelux film (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t949662-scanning-widelux-film.html)

zeewoz@yahoo.ca 08-11-2012 01:40 AM

scanning widelux film

Wow. 1996?! That's when this thread ended?

Hey guys.

Have any of you come up with any better solutions since or new products for film scanning Widelux negs?

Cheers.

zeewoz@yahoo.ca 08-11-2012 02:44 AM

Re: scanning widelux film

Hi Savage Duck.

Wow. What a surprise.

I was sort of serious. But yes I did see the existential humor... I'm justsurfing the web looking for anything helpful. Good ideas tend to be unstuck in time. No?

Explaination: hmm. I recently bought a Horizon 203 panoramic camera, used, for a project, 24 x 58mm negs. And I want to use Ilford's Xp2 c41 B+W negative color film. And now I have to figure out how to scan the images in a decent and affordable way. So far. The results seem to be a Canoscan 9000f, Plustek 7600, Epson v600, v700. And then use VueScan or Silverfast and stitch the image together if the Plustek film scanner is used with Photoshop. New to Digital imaging. But have a Mac. And was a product of an Arts and Design school so am very familiar with all the analog technology like airbrush,darkroom, negative retouching, print retouching, etc. Am trying to bridge old school with digital. Tons of gear. Nikon... There you go.

Much appreciated.
Cheers 8>)

zeewoz@yahoo.ca 08-11-2012 03:07 AM

Re: scanning widelux film

I guess this is what happens when old people get on the Internet. LOL.

zeewoz@yahoo.ca 08-11-2012 03:24 AM

Re: scanning widelux film

I'm sorry if that's how i comes across. I've been nursing a spinal injury...

zeewoz@yahoo.ca 08-11-2012 04:46 AM

Re: scanning widelux film

Hi.

Do you do darkroom work? If so. Do you print Widelux negs? The reason I waswondering, I have an Omega B22XL. Although the largest negative it's supposedt to handle is 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 and that's slightly smaller than 58-59mm. So I was wondering if it might work if I made a custom made negative carrier that was slightly larger than 2 1/4?

Anyways thank you for your help Savage Duck. And please don't feel too obligated to respond. I'm a little fidgety. I slipped on ice and I tend to avoid taking Tylenol 3s and when I do it's a bit hard to stick to a subject...

Ultimately. I think I will move towards either the CS 9000f or a Plustek film scanner while seeing how far I might be able to extend what the B22XL can do. VueScan sounds good. That's the one I frequently see mentioned. The other thing I will do is go to Flickr and Google Images and search for Widelux and Horizon images to see what the posters have to say re...

Cheers SavageDuck.

Z8>)

Rob 08-11-2012 01:30 PM

Re: scanning widelux film

On 11/08/2012 12:44 PM, zeewoz@yahoo.ca wrote:
> Hi Savage Duck.
>
> Wow. What a surprise.
>
> I was sort of serious. But yes I did see the existential humor... I'm just surfing the web looking for anything helpful. Good ideas tend to be unstuck in time. No?
>
> Explaination: hmm. I recently bought a Horizon 203 panoramic camera, used, for a project, 24 x 58mm negs. And I want to use Ilford's Xp2 c41 B+W negative color film. And now I have to figure out how to scan the images in a decent and affordable way. So far. The results seem to be a Canoscan 9000f, Plustek 7600, Epson v600, v700. And then use VueScan or Silverfast and stitch the image together if the Plustek film scanner is used with Photoshop. New to Digital imaging. But have a Mac. And was a product of an Arts and Design school so am very familiar with all the analog technology like airbrush, darkroom, negative retouching, print retouching, etc. Am trying to bridge old school with digital. Tons of gear. Nikon... There you go.
>
> Much appreciated.
> Cheers 8>)

Hope this finds a spot in amongst the multible posts :)

Let me say WOW.

I find this fascinating buying a camera, film, processing, scanning,
then to buy a third party scanning programme. You should be wet
printing your images not digitising them.

.................................................. ............................

Anyway

I am using the Epson V700 scanner (flat bed and lid.) with satisfactory
results, to digitise my 120 negs/trannys. because I'm now slack and in
conjunction rely on Photoshop to improve the scan, whats more its quicker.

Previously used a Minolta Dimage scan pro multi 6x9 scanner (4800dpi??)
and stitched my 6x17 images, has glass carrier and masks.

Its just as easy to get a decent 35mm film scanner, scan on a manual
setting then stitch the image in PS. Should pick up one at a reasonable
price. You need about 4000 DPI scanner. As for the programme just use
the supplied one, just as good as the third party. ( use vuescan if none
other available to suit your OS.)

Film scanners still give better results than a flatbed.

.................................................. ....................

I still can't understand why your doing this, for sure, but there must
be a method to replicate the Horizon image by stitching a couple of
digital shots and then using a filter in Photoshop to replicate film.

By my calculations 28mm lens, 2 or 3 shots to cover the 45x120 degrees,
stitch into the 24:58 ratio, convert and manipulate in Photoshop with
Nik Silver Efex Pro. Bingo your image. If you require a more distorted
image to emulate the 28mm FF lens then Photoshop should do this.

zeewoz@yahoo.ca 12-30-2012 10:40 AM

Re: scanning widelux film

I hope this note finds you guys. It's a bit of a progress report.

Apart from the Horizon Perfekt. I found a nifty camera called a Widepan ProII. It can use 120 and 35mm film. An internal adapter enables 35mm to create an image on the film that's 24mm x 110mm! And the 120 will give you something around 50-55mm x 110mm. Nice eh. The filter set is also first rate. I'm very impressed with it. The camera is also a swing lens. Coverage is somewhere in the area of 120-140 degrees. Compared to the prices for the 120 version of the Widelux and Noblex, I'm pretty happy. The level above the attachable viewfinder might need to be fixed. And then a few weeks ago I foundsomeone who has gone all digital and therefore was willing to sell their Omega D2 for very little. Not even on eBay are the prices so low as what I got the D2 for. Then the night before I picked up the D2 I was able to scorea Schnieder K. 135mm enlarging lens. Again. Another steal. At first I was waiting for a seller to reply re an El Nikkor that was selling for almost 4X's what I won the Schneider for. A random search on eBay whereby I variedthe search to see if anyone had listed a 135 lens using atypical text titling brought the Schnieder up with 12 minutes remaining to bid. So it was easy to win. No longer a hot or big ticket item. And a couple of months ago Isimilarly negotiated for an Epson V700. It arrived though without a power cord... Again. Back to eBay for a cord. The local guys wanted a song so I said no to that noise. Lately I've been scrounging around for film and developer. T-Max dev is not cheap but for what some are charging for 3 bottles Iwas able to get a case of 12. That will develop around 600 rolls of film. As for fiber based paper: Not cheap. Wow. I also am waiting for a book called The Darkroom Cookbook. For now. I think my tastes are for Kodak's 3200 film, Ilford's Delta 3200, and Ilford's XP2. The 5L Tetanal kit though is not cheap once you factor in shipping.

Sometimes I do a search on eBay re books on Retouching. Film and print retouching. I'm wondering if there are still any tricks or techniques that I'm either rusty on or have not thought of.

As for easels. I was wondering about using the shop vac to make a borderless vacuum easel. The Saunders 4 blade easel, the big one is not cheap, anywhere from what I've seen. Seriously. It's like over 300 peanuts.

I did hear that ILford sells enlarging paper in various form factors. You know. You can buy just one sheet of paper. However it's somewhere between 42-52 inches and 98 feet. Nice eh. The paper chopper probably goes for just as much. So I will ask if anyone around here can built a guillotine... LOL.

I noticed too. Pogue from the NYT reviewed some of the tablets that one might consider instead of one of the humongous Wacom's. Somebody out there hashacked the Wacom 4 so that it performs like a Cintiq. They posted the video. From what I gather the tech for a Wacom tablet is rather garden variety stuff so I have to wonder why Apple has never included it? It is part of the evolution... Current computing is still not quite there if you wanted to imagine things in idealistic terms. As for why would I return to all this anologue stuff. It's just a feeling. It seems intuitive and magical. Some ofthe younger guys have posted that they are better photographers as a result of using film. The thinking... I find that for me it doesn't require too much thought. I will though have to start testing the film I use and whatever else is in the process so I can make up some charts. None of the camerasthat I mentioned have meters...

What else. I guess I should have used some paragraphs. Sorry. Posting this from my iPhone...

Oh. My attention has turned to Pentax's 67 and 6x7 cameras. The prices are still not quite there but I think the opportunities are. They're showing uplike nobody's business. Entire kits. Lovely camera. No. But I still have to narrow down what would be the most ideal set up. My attention turned to the 67 and 6x7 because I was worrying about bulking up on too many types of 35 and 120 film. And the image quality of 35 just wasn't anywhere near whatmedium format could produce. I want to used other images that are not panoramic to compliment the wideframe images. Sticking to 120 seems to make theprocess easier. But I have not historically handled medium formats gear. The last few days have turned my attention to the 67s, Mamiyas, and Pentax's645. Occiasiinally I look to see what Ken Rockwell has to say.

What else? I did find two stainless steel tanks that develop six rolls of 120, each, and that was purchased for fifteen bucks. That's like unbelievable. In the same week I found a used Peleng 8mm fisheye which I had been hunting for used since the last recession...

Re Rob. Hey. You really know some interesting things. I can't remember if Iever tried printing with glass and any kind of an oil. What is interestingis anything that seems almost esoteric. Eh. Um. As for what I'm trying to do. Well lemme see. The current state of photography has changed the process that leads to the final image. I like fim. It's a material artifact and aform of created wealth. Even Steve bought vinyl for his personal listeningpleasure. I have to wonder. There's a lot of revenue spent on stuff that'sstored on hard drive or the cloud. And I bet a lot of it goes no where like the owner when it's time to say bye bye. No. Project wise. Hmm. This is not the place to discuss it... Or yet. But I am turning to see what the world of software has to offer... I'm curious what the guys are using and doing on tablets. The big ones. Everything is really evolving fast. As for the young people and what they're doing. I have participated on a bunch of their shoots. They don't seem to have the marksman's touch for clicking the shutter. And their image literacy is to me describable as dumb. It often makesno sense. And they can be stubborn about it like a youngster who's so proud that they never flush... As for photoshopping. I don't think many of themhave ever looked at classical paintings or drawings. Because although they've mastered photoshop. They are absolutely clueless in knowing what or whyto photoshop or not. I know it's unfair to generalize. But they seem to not know how to edit images, nor understand composition and how a viewer's eye moves, or the importance of key lighting, or even to eliminate all the lights but one reflected in each pupil. I gather some people teach to learn. Because to be innovative is tough. One has to be uncompromising. But after graduating. I think many stop thinking with a freshness of vision because they are forced to fall in as one of the worker bees. And those who get usedto appropriating ideas are just as bad because they're often like a cargo cult. Sorry. I do digress. And I don't know if this will find you chaps. Itbeing late et cetera. I can for now indulge myself.

Anyway. Thank you. I take much of what you've shared as moral support.

So. The next things that I will be looking for are the rest of the developing chemicals. Paper. Easels... 67, 6 7s. Software... Tablets... And whatever randomness brings.

Cheers. And all the best to you.

Z8>)