Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: What module card should I get for Cisco 1721? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t949337-re-what-module-card-should-i-get-for-cisco-1721-a.html)

Doug McIntyre 08-09-2012 03:54 PM

pppel <pppel@history.com> writes:
>Wow! Do you experts have a suggestion on the best way to get into
>networking field? So that I don't try CCNA for one or two years and
>realize it's working for me job-wise and have to go a different direction.

I'm not the best one to give career advice, because I don't work in a
typical environment.

To me though, the CCNA, like a degree, represents that you can
concentrate enough to complete a program, and you should have the
fundementals down pat. I'd think that an employer looking for a
position would chuck those that don't have at least a CCNA or
equivilent without consideration. Ie. you'd have to really shine out
and be outstanding if you didn't have the basics and paperwork with it.

The point of the CCNA isn't to show that you can setup a frame-relay
switched network, but more that you have learned the fundementals.
Ie. from what I remember of the CCNA program, you would really get to
know IP subneting (ie. know how many IPs are in a /27, in a /22, in a /18).
Can subnet any given block. Can setup a network device to route say a
/27 to something else. Know what VLANs are, how to use vlans on a switch.
Do L3 routing on a switch. Know how WANs are normally setup, how T1s
are typically deployed, even if they are dying breed, I still support
my T1 customers. They do add on more T1s to their PPP ML bundles.
These are all still very much in use (unlike Frame-Relay switching).

Knowing the fundementals is more important than the details. The
ability to learn, and keep learning all the time is important. The
goal isn't the certificate, it is to know the basics down pat to go to
the next level. Once you know the fundementals, and have the ability
to learn, it does get to be easier. Knowing the test answers for rote
regurgiation isn't going to get you as far as really knowing it.