Velocity Reviews

-   -   Proper DOCTYPE breaks JavaScript in IE9 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t949233-proper-doctype-breaks-javascript-in-ie9.html)

P E Schoen 08-07-2012 11:34 PM

Proper DOCTYPE breaks JavaScript in IE9

I've been playing with a simple HTML document which contains JavaScript in
the <HEAD>. It worked fine without proper DOCTYPE, but when I fixed that so
it validated, the JavaScript would not run. At first it was also broken in
Firefox but I changed the DOCTYPE slightly as recommended on one forum and
it worked - but still not in IE9.

There's also a somewhat puzzling complaint about a </P> that passed
validation in the first instance but not the second.

Here's my HTML:
http://www.enginuitysystems.com/ForceCalculator1.htm

I start as follows:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Force Calculator</TITLE>

<SCRIPT type="text/javascript"> //!-- Beginning of JavaScript -

And the complaint is here (around line 150):

<P>
<h2>Torque, Power, and RPM</h2>
<!-- </P> -->

I referred to the following, but I note that the SCRIPT in the header is an
external reference and the inline script is in the BODY. Maybe I'll try
that.

I haven't done anything with JavaScript (or HTML for that matter) for
awhile, so I'm quite rusty. This may be an obvious error but I'm stumped for
now.

Thanks!

Paul
www.muttleydog.com

P E Schoen 08-07-2012 11:44 PM

Re: Proper DOCTYPE breaks JavaScript in IE9

This simpler HTML page works OK in IE9:
http://www.enginuitysystems.com/CalculateJS1.htm

But it has 8 errors and 2 warnings. That's a lot for 60 lines of highly
expanded HTML.

Paul

Doug Miller 08-08-2012 01:28 AM

"P E Schoen" <paul@peschoen.com> wrote in news:jvs98h$iea$1@dont-email.me:

> This simpler HTML page works OK in IE9:
> http://www.enginuitysystems.com/CalculateJS1.htm
>
> But it has 8 errors and 2 warnings. That's a lot for 60 lines of highly
> expanded HTML.

Yes, that *is* rather a lot. Had you considered fixing them?

P E Schoen 08-08-2012 07:18 AM

"Robert Baer" wrote in message
news:1dWdnQ4fLPeac7zNnZ2dnUVZ_jidnZ2d@posted.local net...

> Obviously all 12 or so digits for power and torque are significant and
> meaningful...

No, of course not. This is just a simple utility and not a polished product.
Actually I have added some functionality and cleaned up some stuff, but
still there is a problem with IE9:

http://www.enginuitysystems.com/EVCalculator.htm

Paul

P E Schoen 08-08-2012 07:21 AM

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news:XnsA0A8DA4ABDF71dougmilmaccom@88.198.244.100. ..

> "P E Schoen" <paul@peschoen.com> wrote in news:jvs98h$iea$1@dont-email.me:

>> This simpler HTML page works OK in IE9:
>> http://www.enginuitysystems.com/CalculateJS1.htm

>> But it has 8 errors and 2 warnings. That's a lot for 60 lines of highly
>> expanded HTML.

> Yes, that *is* rather a lot. Had you considered fixing them?

I can fix the errors by adding a DOCTYPE. But that breaks JavaScript for
IE9.

Paul

P E Schoen 08-08-2012 08:48 AM

Re: Proper DOCTYPE breaks JavaScript in IE9 - solved

I found that the keyword const is not allowed in Javascript, although
apparently Firefox and Chrome allow it. The debugger complained about
something else and then finally it continued to the const declaration where
it reported a syntax error.

So many languages. So much inconsistency...

Paul

Tim Streater 08-08-2012 10:16 AM

Re: Proper DOCTYPE breaks JavaScript in IE9 - solved

In article <jvt94g$38c$1@dont-email.me>,
"P E Schoen" <paul@peschoen.com> wrote:

> I found that the keyword const is not allowed in Javascript, although
> apparently Firefox and Chrome allow it. The debugger complained about
> something else and then finally it continued to the const declaration where
> it reported a syntax error.
>
> So many languages. So much inconsistency...

No, just the one. I observe that Safari is very forgiving, reporting no
errors in the error console. Not only it doesn't mind your consts, it
also allows you to do (e.g.):

Form1.FormDate.value = EditDate;

rather than:

document.Form1.FormDate.value = EditDate;

or even:

document.forms["Form1"].FormDate.value = EditDate;

OK, so you took out the consts. What happened then?

--
Tim

Doug Miller 08-08-2012 12:45 PM

"P E Schoen" <paul@peschoen.com> wrote in news:jvt41n$9sh$1@dont-email.me:

> "Doug Miller" wrote in message
> news:XnsA0A8DA4ABDF71dougmilmaccom@88.198.244.100. ..
>
>> "P E Schoen" <paul@peschoen.com> wrote in

>>> This simpler HTML page works OK in IE9:
>>> http://www.enginuitysystems.com/CalculateJS1.htm

>>> But it has 8 errors and 2 warnings. That's a lot for 60 lines of

> highly
>>> expanded HTML.

>> Yes, that *is* rather a lot. Had you considered fixing them?

> I can fix the errors by adding a DOCTYPE.

Really? What DOCTYPE is that?

P E Schoen 08-08-2012 08:08 PM

news:XnsA0A958E37BAEEdougmilmaccom@88.198.244.100. ..

> "P E Schoen" <paul@peschoen.com> wrote in news:jvt41n$9sh$1@dont-email.me:

>> I can fix the errors by adding a DOCTYPE.

> Really? What DOCTYPE is that?

Almost any DOCTYPE. The validation errors were mostly related to that. But
the broken JavaScript was due to other factors that did not affect
validation.

The problem(s) are fixed now, at least to the point where it works.

Thanks,

Paul

Hot-Text 08-08-2012 09:57 PM

"P E Schoen" <paul@peschoen.com> wrote in message news:jvs98h$iea$1@dont-email.me...
> This simpler HTML page works OK in IE9:
> http://www.enginuitysystems.com/CalculateJS1.htm
>
> But it has 8 errors and 2 warnings. That's a lot for 60 lines of highly
> expanded HTML.
>
> Paul

Not
<SCRIPT type="text/javascript">
//!-- Beginning of JavaScript -

// - End of JavaScript - -->
</SCRIPT>

But
<SCRIPT type="text/javascript">
<!--
// Beginning of JavaScript -

// - End of JavaScript
//-->
</SCRIPT>

Have to be start <!-- to work in IE........