Velocity Reviews

-   -   Copying files from Laptop to Netbook using Laptop cd drive or network? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t949134-copying-files-from-laptop-to-netbook-using-laptop-cd-drive-or-network.html)

Joe J 08-05-2012 09:20 PM

Copying files from Laptop to Netbook using Laptop cd drive or network?

My brother bought a new Netbook which comes w/o a cd/dvd drive. Now he
wants to load Office onto the Netbook but doesn't know how. He has the
original Office disks.

This is now over my head. He has a barely working laptop with a functioning
dvd/cd player and has an in-house wireless network that everything can
access.

How would he go about loading programs onto the Netbook?

Last question...He needs to create restore disks for the Netbook. What
would be the easiest way to go about that? Just do that to an external usb
drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul 08-05-2012 10:03 PM

Re: Copying files from Laptop to Netbook using Laptop cd drive ornetwork?

Joe J wrote:
> My brother bought a new Netbook which comes w/o a cd/dvd drive. Now he
> wants to load Office onto the Netbook but doesn't know how. He has the
> original Office disks.
>
> This is now over my head. He has a barely working laptop with a
> functioning dvd/cd player and has an in-house wireless network that
> everything can access.
>
> How would he go about loading programs onto the Netbook?
>
> Last question...He needs to create restore disks for the Netbook. What
> would be the easiest way to go about that? Just do that to an external
> usb drive?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Find a way to copy the files, from the machine that has access to
them, to the computer that does not. That includes, using a USB key
for transport, or using file sharing between machines. The USB key
is probably the easiest to arrange, as long as your USB key is big
enough. Just copy all the files off the installer CD, as a start,
not changing the folder structure.

Once the files are copied, you can look in the autorun.inf file
for the setup command. Perhaps the actual installer is in the
"setup" folder of the copied files. Something like setup\install.exe.

It's preferably, to store the files in such a way, that they won't
move, and will be re-usable later. The reason for that suggestion,
is in case Office needs to be "repaired". The drive letters the files
are hosted on, should not change between when Office is installed,
and an attempt later to run a repair. When the installer CD is used,
the optical drive is usually at a fixed letter that doesn't change.
If you store the files on a partition on the hard drive, that letter
likely won't change either. Many pieces of software, don't have the
quaint notion of "repair", but things like Office like to complicate
things by randomly asking you to present the CD again. So if you
install off the hard drive today (as a staging area), then use
an optical disk later to "repair" the installation, the drive
letter will have changed, and you'll get an error dialog. Try to be
consistent, with the location of the source installer files.

I haven't installed Office in eons, so it's possible the recipe
has changed. I've always found Office... annoying.

*******

A person owning a netbook, should preferably also own a USB optical
drive, to solve this very problem. When you get a machine without
optical drive, you run out and buy a portable burner. The portable
burner allows you to burn "restore media", in case the netbook
needs to be reinstalled. It also functions as a way to complete
installations. Check the netbook documentation, or look in the
OS menus, for info on preparing restoration media. When you own the
optical drive, it gives you a way to boot the netbook when the
hard drive or flash storage device inside, is dead.

This is an example of a portable optical drive, which supports burning.
You can burn recovery media, or read installer discs. Very handy.

Have fun,
Paul

Joe J 08-06-2012 12:37 PM

Re: Copying files from Laptop to Netbook using Laptop cd drive or network?

Thanks Paul!

Jeff Strickland 08-06-2012 03:11 PM

Re: Copying files from Laptop to Netbook using Laptop cd drive or network?

If your brother has the original CDs and a drive to put them in, then plug
in the drive and insert the CD, then follow the prompts.