Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Do C++ and Java professionals use UML?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t948862-re-do-c-and-java-professionals-use-uml.html)

Lars Enderin 07-31-2012 08:06 PM

Re: Do C++ and Java professionals use UML??

To: kensi
From: "Lars Enderin" <lars.enderin@1:261/38.remove-dpk-this>

To: kensi
From: "Lars Enderin" <lars.enderin@1:261/38.remove-rf4-this>

To: kensi
From: "Lars Enderin" <lars.enderin@1:261/38.remove-pvc-this>

To: kensi
From: "Lars Enderin" <lars.enderin@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

To: kensi
From: Lars Enderin <lars.enderin@telia.com>

2012-07-28 21:51, kensi skrev:
> On 27/07/2012 3:42 PM, Arne Vajhoj wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Why are half the people in this group suddenly switching to this
> news.tds.net NNTP provider?
>
> I ask because that NNTP provider is b0rken:
>
> 1. Every post has the same NNTP-Posting-Host header, even from people I
> know are not sockpuppets of one another, e.g. you, Robert Klemmke,
> David Lamb, and Jim Janney all have recent posts with
>
> 2. Posts through that server have the References: header stripped. As
> a result, every time any of you posts through that server it breaks
> a piece off the thread you're replying to, causing clutter and making
> discussions more difficult to follow.
>
> 3. It seems to **** up character encodings, most noticeably when Vajhoj
> posts or is replied to via TDS as he has a non-ASCII character in his
> name.
>
> Please switch back to your original providers, or if you can't for some
> reason, such as because they closed, please find something better than
> TDS to replace them with. AIOE works well enough for me and does not
> break References: when I reply or screw up encoding the o character. It
> does not require signup. Eternal-September is something I often see
> recommended, does require signup, but is free. Either of those is
> probably better than (and maybe even cheaper than) this TDS, from all
> indications.

I, for one, did not switch to that provider, yet my last post, addressing the
same point as yours, got copied through it. I don't think anybody else chose it
either. The posts are copied with different headers but the same contents. That
server should be closed down.

--
Lars Enderin

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Patricia Shanahan 07-31-2012 08:06 PM

Re: Do C++ and Java professionals use UML??

To: Lars Enderin
From: "Patricia Shanahan" <patricia.shanahan@1:261/38.remove-dpk-this>

To: Lars Enderin
From: "Patricia Shanahan" <patricia.shanahan@1:261/38.remove-rf4-this>

To: Lars Enderin
From: "Patricia Shanahan" <patricia.shanahan@1:261/38.remove-pvc-this>

To: Lars Enderin
From: "Patricia Shanahan" <patricia.shanahan@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

To: Lars Enderin
From: Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org>

On 7/28/2012 1:03 PM, Lars Enderin wrote:
> 2012-07-28 21:51, kensi skrev:

>> Please switch back to your original providers, or if you can't for some
>> reason, such as because they closed, please find something better than
>> TDS to replace them with. AIOE works well enough for me and does not
>> break References: when I reply or screw up encoding the o character. It
>> does not require signup. Eternal-September is something I often see
>> recommended, does require signup, but is free. Either of those is
>> probably better than (and maybe even cheaper than) this TDS, from all
>> indications.

> I, for one, did not switch to that provider, yet my last post,
> addressing the same point as yours, got copied through it. I don't think
> anybody else chose it either. The posts are copied with different
> headers but the same contents. That server should be closed down.

Same here. I've used west.news.earthlink.net at my NNTP server for many years.
I've just checked some messages, and recent ones have corrupted headers.

Patricia

David Lamb 07-31-2012 08:06 PM

Re: Do C++ and Java professionals use UML??

To: Patricia Shanahan
From: "David Lamb" <david.lamb@1:261/38.remove-dpk-this>

To: Patricia Shanahan
From: "David Lamb" <david.lamb@1:261/38.remove-rf4-this>

To: Patricia Shanahan
From: "David Lamb" <david.lamb@1:261/38.remove-pvc-this>

To: Patricia Shanahan
From: "David Lamb" <david.lamb@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

To: Patricia Shanahan
From: David Lamb <dalamb@cs.queensu.ca>

> On 7/28/2012 1:03 PM, Lars Enderin wrote:
>> 2012-07-28 21:51, kensi skrev:

>>> Please switch back to your original providers, or if you can't for some
>>> reason, such as because they closed, please find something better than
>>> TDS to replace them with. AIOE works well enough for me and does not
>>> break References: when I reply or screw up encoding the o character. It
>>> does not require signup. Eternal-September is something I often see
>>> recommended, does require signup, but is free. Either of those is
>>> probably better than (and maybe even cheaper than) this TDS, from all
>>> indications.

>> I, for one, did not switch to that provider, yet my last post,
>> addressing the same point as yours, got copied through it. I don't think
>> anybody else chose it either. The posts are copied with different
>> headers but the same contents. That server should be closed down.
>>

> Same here. I've used west.news.earthlink.net at my NNTP server for many
> years. I've just checked some messages, and recent ones have corrupted
> headers.

I've been using news.eternal-september.org for months, and have changed nothing
recently. Since Patricia is using a completely different server from me, I
suspect the problem is somewhere else.

Robert Klemme 07-31-2012 08:06 PM

Re: Do C++ and Java professionals use UML??

To: David Lamb
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-dpk-this>

To: David Lamb
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-rf4-this>

To: David Lamb
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-pvc-this>

To: David Lamb
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

To: David Lamb
From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com>

On 29.07.2012 04:16, David Lamb wrote:
> On 28/07/2012 4:12 PM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

>>> I, for one, did not switch to that provider, yet my last post,
>>> addressing the same point as yours, got copied through it. I don't think
>>> anybody else chose it either. The posts are copied with different
>>> headers but the same contents. That server should be closed down.
>>>

>> Same here. I've used west.news.earthlink.net at my NNTP server for many
>> years. I've just checked some messages, and recent ones have corrupted
>> headers.

> I've been using news.eternal-september.org for months, and have changed
> nothing recently. Since Patricia is using a completely different server
> from me, I suspect the problem is somewhere else.

Same here: I am using news.individual.net (paid service) for years now and did
not change anything. It seems some news server's configuration or
implementation is broken and it mirrors messages back with garbled headers.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Robert Klemme 07-31-2012 08:06 PM

Re: Do C++ and Java professionals use UML??

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-dpk-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-rf4-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-pvc-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com>

On 29.07.2012 10:55, Robert Klemme wrote:
> Same here: I am using news.individual.net (paid service) for years now
> and did not change anything. It seems some news server's configuration
> or implementation is broken and it mirrors messages back with garbled
> headers.

I did some analysis and it seems one posting of me shows up five times of which
only one is the proper original posting and further instances have changed
headers, message ids and also mangled content.

Here are selected headers (regexp
"^(Path|From|Date|Message-ID|References|NNTP-Posting-Date|Lines):"):

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:21:17 +0200
<a6subnFf45U1@mid.individual.net> <jucbq7$lg6$1@localhost.localdomain>
<UML-20120720213658@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
<a6u2riF3fuU1@mid.individual.net>
<m8dp08hrsk48p3kj5g47uso1gpp1qrh603@4ax.com>
<500cbc5d$0$295$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>
<a74c3mF476U1@mid.individual.net>
<i50r08hjiebe152pdeot546psfefk432vh@4ax.com>
<a75lv5F11vU1@mid.individual.net>
<3qcr08lkpvcmhe0drpffhegusd6k2a1670@4ax.com>
<a7chacFoblU1@mid.individual.net>
<6sq218p9vfg1m2fgg5pm8sthhdot288mia@4ax.com>

From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-10ae-this>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 18:41:00 GMT

From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-nwi-this>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 19:42:43 GMT

From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-z1h-this>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:36:42 GMT

From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-5ky-this>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 20:40:16 GMT

A few observations:

- Message-ID of course is changed
- From is garbled
- References is missing
- Lines is increasing, you can see stuff added at top and bottom of posting

Last posting, at top:

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-z1h-this>

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-nwi-this>

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-10ae-this>

To: Gene Wirchenko
From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com>

Last posting, at bottom:

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

I'll send this to news@tds.net as well as the feedback address of
news.individual.net.