Velocity Reviews

-   -   LAN strategy (Android) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t948854-lan-strategy-android.html)

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax 07-31-2012 06:02 PM

LAN strategy (Android)

From: Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <dirk.bruere@gmail.com>

What's the best way to do this?

I have to read from a LAN using UDP. I open a socket by doing a name lookup
(the name of a PC I want to connect to) and port number as the app starts.

In a thread I loop around reading the socket for messages and act on them.

The problem is what do I do if I cannot access the LAN on startup and so miss
getting the name/address? As far as I can see the app sits there doing nothing
even if the LAN becomes available.

Alternatively, do I put the name/address lookup in the thread loop, and if so,
how?

--
Dirk

Full Spectrum Praxis : ZERO STATE : http://zerostate.net

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Roedy Green 07-31-2012 06:02 PM

Re: LAN strategy (Android)

To: Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
From: Roedy Green <see_website@mindprod.com.invalid>

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 00:02:25 +0100, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
<dirk.bruere@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
said :

>What's the best way to do this?

get the book with the three trains on the cover. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/thread.html

use
import java.util.concurrent.BlockingQueue; import
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap; import
java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue; import
java.util.concurrent.Semaphore; import java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor;
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com