Velocity Reviews

-   -   Pass data to a subprocess (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t948823-pass-data-to-a-subprocess.html)

andrea crotti 07-31-2012 01:56 PM

Pass data to a subprocess

I'm having fun in the world of multiprocessing, and I would like some
suggestions.

For example suppose I want to create many processes and pass them some
data to process (also why they are running).

I found many nice things (Pipe, Manager and so on), but actually even
this seems to work:

class MyProcess(Process):
def __init__(self):
Process.__init__(self)
self.ls = []

def __str__(self):
return str(self.ls)

def add(self, ls):
self.ls += ls

def run(self):
print("running the process in another subprocess")

def procs():
mp = MyProcess()
mp.start()
# with the join we are actually waiting for the end of the running time
mp.join()
mp.add([1,2,3])
mp.add([2,3,4])
print(mp)

Which is a bit surprising, because it means that I can pass data to an
object that is running on another process.
Is it because of some magic in the background and can I rely on that or
simply I didn't understand how it works?