Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: howto do a robust simple cross platform beep (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t948497-re-howto-do-a-robust-simple-cross-platform-beep.html)

Jerry Hill 07-24-2012 10:03 PM

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Gelonida N <gelonida@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried the simplest approach (just printing the BEL character '\a' chr(7)
> to the console.

That's what I do when I want to send an audible alert to the user of a
console based program. It's then up to the user's terminal to do
whatever the user wants. Printing a BEL character has the added
advantage that it plays nicely with programs that are run remotely
(through ssh sessions and the like).

Personally, I'm usually in a screen session, inside either an xterm or
over an ssh link, and have visual bells turned on so I can see the
alerts, even when they pop up in another screen.

--
Jerry