Velocity Reviews

-   -   Daemon loses __file__ reference after a while (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t948485-daemon-loses-__file__-reference-after-a-while.html)

ivdneut@gmail.com 07-24-2012 12:17 PM

Daemon loses __file__ reference after a while

Hello all,

I have a deamon process that runs for some considerable time (weeks) without any problems. At some point it starts throwing the following exception:

File "/some/path/scheduler.py", line 376, in applyrule
result = execrule(rule_code)
File "/some/path/scheduler.py", line 521, in execrule
rulepath = os.path.dirname(__file__)+"/"+'/'.join(rule['modules'])+"/"+rule['rulename']
NameError: name '__file__' is not defined

This section is executed *all the time* but somehow stops working after a while. I have searched the web and this group, but can only find references to this occurring when run interactively, which is not the case here. When I restart the process the problem, at least temporarily, disappears.

I am running the script in a virtual-env on a stock Red Hat EL 6.2 installation:

(my-env)[user@host ~]$ python --version
Python 2.6.6
(my-env)[user@host ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.2 (Santiago)

Thank you very much in advance for any pointers as to where to start looking to find the problem.

Ian.

(If this post occurs twice, I apologize. Google groups was complaining about my post taking long to process and to wait a few minutes and try again ifit didn't show up, which as far as I can determine, it didn't.)

Laszlo Nagy 07-24-2012 12:29 PM

Re: Daemon loses __file__ reference after a while

On 2012-07-24 14:17, ivdneut@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a deamon process that runs for some considerable time (weeks) without any problems. At some point it starts throwing the following exception:
>
> File "/some/path/scheduler.py", line 376, in applyrule
> result = execrule(rule_code)
> File "/some/path/scheduler.py", line 521, in execrule
> rulepath = os.path.dirname(__file__)+"/"+'/'.join(rule['modules'])+"/"+rule['rulename']
> NameError: name '__file__' is not defined

It is not a direct solution to your problem, but can you save the value
of os.path.dirname(__file__) into another variable?

ivdneut@gmail.com 07-24-2012 12:44 PM

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:29:19 PM UTC+2, Laszlo Nagy wrote:
> On 2012-07-24 14:17, ivdneut@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a deamon process that runs for some considerable time (weeks) without any problems. At some point it starts throwing the following exception:
> >
> > File "/some/path/scheduler.py", line 376, in applyrule
> > result = execrule(rule_code)
> > File "/some/path/scheduler.py", line 521, in execrule
> > rulepath = os.path.dirname(__file__)+"/"+'/'.join(rule['modules'])+"/"+rule['rulename']
> > NameError: name '__file__' is not defined
> It is not a direct solution to your problem, but can you save the value
> of os.path.dirname(__file__) into another variable?

That might be a workaround that I'm seriously pondering as well.

Thank you.

Ian.

(sorry for google messing up my posts)

ivdneut@gmail.com 07-24-2012 12:44 PM