Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: [SI] Pairs etc - Eric Stevens comments (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t948376-re-si-pairs-etc-eric-stevens-comments.html)

tony cooper 07-21-2012 11:39 PM

Re: [SI] Pairs etc - Eric Stevens comments

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 11:18:52 +1200, Eric Stevens
<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

>PAIRS_Bird Fight_ClearyC
>-----------------------------
>Bird fight? It looks more like a feeding frenzy. At first I thought
>the image was a little soft but when I clicked on the 'original' image
>size it came up both larger and sharper than it had been in the
>'large' size.
>
>PAIRS_Pair of Drops_DaveC
>--------------------------------
>A difficult picture and by the look of the EXIF data you were not
>using the ideal equipment. Depth of focus is critical for this kind of
>image and f/5.6 won't give you much depth of focus. With my 105mm
>macro lens I would probably have been at f/45. I don't know how your
>200mm lens would behave in these circumstances if it was stopped right
>down. It's a pity about the lack of depth of focus as I would like to
>have seen what was in those water drops. A good try though.
>
>PAIRS_Pair of Lovers_ClearyC
>----------------------------------
>Now that's a good shot. Clear, bright and as sharp as a shot of this
>kind can be. If it's the same 200mm lens as used for the previous
>shot, it gives a good indication of what can be gained by stopping
>down even one stop to f/8. Mind you, apart from the wings, the bodies
>of the two insects lie more or less in a single plane and should be
>more easily focussed.
>
>PAIRS_Sunflower Pattern_ClearyC
>---------------------------------------
>Pairs? Well there is certainly lots of them. :-)
>It's a nice sharp photograph at its plane of focus but I'm afraid it
>doesn't do much for me.
>
>PAIRS_Wave Pattern_DaveC
>--------------------------------
>I love the texture in the waves but the appearance of the spray makes
>me wonder whether or not it has been slightly oversharpened?

Dave and his wife, Cleary (my daughter), share one camera (Nikon D40).
I stated earlier that "This photo was excessively sharpened to
accent the water pattern to the right. Blame me if you don't like it,
because I taught them Photoshop processing techniques."

Ta for the comments.

Dave and Cleary do not have access to newsgroups, btw, so I will
copy/past and forward to them.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper 07-22-2012 03:09 AM

Re: [SI] Pairs etc - Eric Stevens comments

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 14:51:39 +1200, Eric Stevens
<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 19:39:17 -0400, tony cooper
><tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>PAIRS_Wave Pattern_DaveC
>>>--------------------------------
>>>I love the texture in the waves but the appearance of the spray makes
>>>me wonder whether or not it has been slightly oversharpened?

>>Dave and his wife, Cleary (my daughter), share one camera (Nikon D40).
>>I stated earlier that "This photo was excessively sharpened to
>>accent the water pattern to the right. Blame me if you don't like it,
>>because I taught them Photoshop processing techniques."
>>
>>Ta for the comments.
>>
>>Dave and Cleary do not have access to newsgroups, btw, so I will
>>copy/past and forward to them.
>>

>I've somehow missed that. I wasn't making a complaint so much as a
>constructive criticism. I wasn't complaining about the sharpening in
>general so much as saying that I thought to much of it may have been
>applied to the spray. It didn't look quite natural but the waves still
>did.

No worries, mate.

Hey...critique or criticism or constructive criticism...it's all the
same, and all acceptable and welcome. I wouldn't have gone along with
my daughter and son-in-law submitting images here if they weren't
aware that all images are subject to both praise and pans and all in
between.

I don't think a comment about over-sharpening, in this case, is a
complaint. In processing, we often go for particular effect. Not
everyone sees that effect as complimentary. Be pretty dull if they
would, wouldn't it?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida