Velocity Reviews

-   -   DSLR sales static, mirrorless heavy growth? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t948294-dslr-sales-static-mirrorless-heavy-growth.html)

RichA 07-20-2012 04:16 AM

DSLR sales static, mirrorless heavy growth?

Check out the graph on the second slide.

http://www.3dnews.ru/editorial/63225...t-article&live

Bruce 07-20-2012 11:03 AM

Re: DSLR sales static, mirrorless heavy growth?

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:

>Check out the graph on the second slide.
>
>http://www.3dnews.ru/editorial/63225...t-article&live

That graph represents no more than the hopes of one particular
manufacturer of mirrorless cameras.

But it may be right. The game changer will be Canon's mirrorless
offering, due to be announced on Monday July 23.

RichA 07-20-2012 12:18 PM

On Jul 20, 7:03*am, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> RichA <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Check out the graph on the second slide.

> >http://www.3dnews.ru/editorial/63225...t-article&live

> That graph represents no more than the hopes of one particular
> manufacturer of mirrorless cameras.
>
> But it may be right. *The game changer will be Canon's mirrorless
> offering, due to be announced on Monday July 23.

The 2010-12 graphs are obviously accurate though. The years after are
extrapolations.

Bruce 07-20-2012 12:46 PM

Re: DSLR sales static, mirrorless heavy growth?

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jul 20, 7:03*am, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> RichA <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Check out the graph on the second slide.

>> >http://www.3dnews.ru/editorial/63225...t-article&live

>> That graph represents no more than the hopes of one particular
>> manufacturer of mirrorless cameras.
>>
>> But it may be right. *The game changer will be Canon's mirrorless
>> offering, due to be announced on Monday July 23.

>The 2010-12 graphs are obviously accurate though. The years after are
>extrapolations.

Hopeful guesses. I fear that Canon's mirrorless offering will kill
off Panasonic's DSLM.

RichA 07-20-2012 01:38 PM

On Jul 20, 8:46*am, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> RichA <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That graph represents no more than the hopes of one particular
> >> manufacturer of mirrorless cameras.

> >> But it may be right. *The game changer will be Canon's mirrorless
> >> offering, due to be announced on Monday July 23.

> >The 2010-12 graphs are obviously accurate though. *The years after are
> >extrapolations.

> Hopeful guesses. *I fear that Canon's mirrorless offering will kill
> off Panasonic's DSLM.

Well, Canon is big, but it's just one company. Too bad Nikon dropped
the ball with their meagre offering. I feel the V1/J1 are soon to be
history and Nikon will be forced to release something decent.

ray 07-20-2012 02:28 PM

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 21:16:28 -0700, RichA wrote:

> Check out the graph on the second slide.
>
> http://www.3dnews.ru/editorial/63225...t-article&live

As the new owner of a Panasonic G3 (having run through all the reviews
and other information I could find) I see the major handicap for
mirrorless cameras being the relative dearth of models with a viewfinder.

Bruce 07-20-2012 04:15 PM

Re: DSLR sales static, mirrorless heavy growth?

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 20, 8:46*am, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> RichA <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >The 2010-12 graphs are obviously accurate though. *The years after are
>> >extrapolations.

>> Hopeful guesses. *I fear that Canon's mirrorless offering will kill
>> off Panasonic's DSLM.

>Well, Canon is big, but it's just one company. Too bad Nikon dropped
>the ball with their meagre offering. I feel the V1/J1 are soon to be
>history and Nikon will be forced to release something decent.

After a slow start, the Nikon J1 and V1 are selling reasonably well.
The Nikon sales rep told us to expect a high end 1 Series body before
too long.

Personally, I agree with you. ;-)

RichA 07-21-2012 12:44 AM

On Jul 20, 12:15*pm, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> RichA <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Hopeful guesses. *I fear that Canon's mirrorless offering will kill
> >> off Panasonic's DSLM.

> >Well, Canon is big, but it's just one company. *Too bad Nikon dropped
> >the ball with their meagre offering. *I feel the V1/J1 are soon to be
> >history and Nikon will be forced to release something decent.

> After a slow start, the Nikon J1 and V1 are selling reasonably well.
> The Nikon sales rep told us to expect a high end 1 Series body before
> too long.
>
> Personally, I agree with you. *;-)

And yet, I wonder who exactly are buying them? They aren't
enthusiasts, if you use Dpreview's forum as any indication, it's dead,
dead, dead. Also, a "high-end" body for that sensor is the ultimate
(IMO) "sensor swine before body pearls" offering. They are now
talking about a higher-end OM-D body and I'm not even sure if people
will want to pony-up say $1500.00 or so for a body with a 4/3rds
sensor? It could end up like Olympus's E-3/5 downfall. The one of
the most ridiculous things was looking down the throat of the E-3, a
big body and seeing the tiny sensor...But who am I to judge what might
transpire? Both offerings could be aimed at "creating" a new market
segment.

Bruce 07-21-2012 10:47 AM

Re: DSLR sales static, mirrorless heavy growth?

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 20, 12:15*pm, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> RichA <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Well, Canon is big, but it's just one company. *Too bad Nikon dropped
>> >the ball with their meagre offering. *I feel the V1/J1 are soon to be
>> >history and Nikon will be forced to release something decent.

>> After a slow start, the Nikon J1 and V1 are selling reasonably well.
>> The Nikon sales rep told us to expect a high end 1 Series body before
>> too long.
>>
>> Personally, I agree with you. *;-)

>And yet, I wonder who exactly are buying them? They aren't
>enthusiasts, if you use Dpreview's forum as any indication, it's dead,
>dead, dead. Also, a "high-end" body for that sensor is the ultimate
>(IMO) "sensor swine before body pearls" offering. They are now
>talking about a higher-end OM-D body and I'm not even sure if people
>will want to pony-up say $1500.00 or so for a body with a 4/3rds
>sensor? It could end up like Olympus's E-3/5 downfall. The one of
>the most ridiculous things was looking down the throat of the E-3, a
>big body and seeing the tiny sensor...But who am I to judge what might
>transpire? Both offerings could be aimed at "creating" a new market
>segment.

Nikon's 1 Series appeals most strongly to people trading up from a p&s
or bridge camera who don't want the weight and bulk of a DSLR. The
cameras sell especially well to women.

A high end body for the 1 Series should broaden the system's appeal to
more advanced photographers. But ultimately, that appeal will be
limited by the 10 MP sensor.

Personally, I can't take it seriously because of the small sensor size
and the 2.7X crop factor which makes a nonsense of using F mount
lenses on a 1 Series body.

The high end OM-D body will be quite different. It will appeal to
serious photographers. We are told that, at the same time, there will
be a significant price drop for the E-M5.

The 16 MP Sony sensor in the E-M5 is a very good performer. So good
that DxO Labs couldn't quite believe what they measured and are
apparently testing another sample to confirm. I guess what surprised
them is the excellent dynamic range.

The Panasonic G5 also has very good dynamic range, approximately 12
stops between ISO 160-400. I think the OM-D is probably a stop
better, which will unfortunately overshadow the G5's excellent
performance.

Of course most m4/3 users will never obtain anywhere near these
figures because they don't shoot RAW. Shooting JPEGs yields a dynamic
range that is 1-2 stops less.

RichA 07-21-2012 08:13 PM

On Jul 21, 6:47*am, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> RichA <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> After a slow start, the Nikon J1 and V1 are selling reasonably well.
> >> The Nikon sales rep told us to expect a high end 1 Series body before
> >> too long.

> >> Personally, I agree with you. *;-)

> >And yet, I wonder who exactly are buying them? *They aren't
> >enthusiasts, if you use Dpreview's forum as any indication, it's dead,
> >dead, dead. *Also, a "high-end" body for that sensor is the ultimate
> >(IMO) "sensor swine before body pearls" offering. *They are now
> >talking about a higher-end OM-D body and I'm not even sure if people
> >will want to pony-up say $1500.00 or so for a body with a 4/3rds
> >sensor? *It could end up like Olympus's E-3/5 downfall. *The one of
> >the most ridiculous things was looking down the throat of the E-3, a
> >big body and seeing the tiny sensor...But who am I to judge what might
> >transpire? *Both offerings could be aimed at "creating" a new market
> >segment.

> Nikon's 1 Series appeals most strongly to people trading up from a p&s
> or bridge camera who don't want the weight and bulk of a DSLR. *The
> cameras sell especially well to women.
>
> A high end body for the 1 Series should broaden the system's appeal to
> more advanced photographers. *But ultimately, that appeal will be
> limited by the 10 MP sensor.
>
> Personally, I can't take it seriously because of the small sensor size
> and the 2.7X crop factor which makes a nonsense of using F mount
> lenses on a 1 Series body.
>
> The high end OM-D body will be quite different. *It will appeal to
> serious photographers. *We are told that, at the same time, there will
> be a significant price drop for the E-M5.
>
> The 16 MP Sony sensor in the E-M5 is a very good performer. *So good
> that DxO Labs couldn't quite believe what they measured and are
> apparently testing another sample to confirm. *I guess what surprised
> them is the excellent dynamic range.
>
> The Panasonic G5 also has very good dynamic range, approximately 12
> stops between ISO 160-400. *I think the OM-D is probably a stop
> better, which will unfortunately overshadow the G5's excellent
> performance.

I can't help but wonder if Panasonic made a mistake by keeping their
best sensors from Olympus? Now, they have another camera with a Sony
sensor in it to contend with.