Velocity Reviews

-   -   Unable to create new users using Directory services in Windows 200 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t94819-unable-to-create-new-users-using-directory-services-in-windows-200-a.html)

=?Utf-8?B?U2l2YXJhbWFuLlM=?= 01-19-2005 02:23 PM

Unable to create new users using Directory services in Windows 200

I am unable to create new users using directory services in Windows 2003
server. But it is possible to create users with ASP.NET applications in
windows 2000.

I am getting "Permission Denied" and the "General access denied error "
error.

Can you please some code samples or solution for the problem.

David Jessee 01-20-2005 08:02 AM

Re: Unable to create new users using Directory services in Windows 200

the System.DirectoryServices namespace has what you need
the permission denied error comes in because the default WindowsPrincipal
that is used is machine\ASPNET. the ways around it are:

1) in your web.config, change to <identity impersonate="true"/> then the
user can make the changes assuming they have the permissions
2) in your web.config, change to <identity impersonate="true"
userName="domain\usr" password="pwd"/> then the specified account will be
used instead of the ASPNET account
3) go to the microsoft site and download aspnet_setreg so that you can put
the account information for the app in the registry.

I use #3 for everything. Every application that we create runs under a
seperate identity. Your network services group shouldn't have a problem
creating an Applitaion account for you, assuming that you can justify it.