Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Python (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f43-python.html)
-   -   Python 2.6 on Mac 10.7 doesn't work (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t948189-python-2-6-on-mac-10-7-doesnt-work.html)

Naser Nikandish 07-17-2012 01:47 PM

Python 2.6 on Mac 10.7 doesn't work
 
Hi,

I am trying to install Python 2.6 on Mac OS Lion. Here is what I did:

1- Download Mac Installer disk image (2.6) (sig) from http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6/

2- Install it

3- Run Python Luncher, go to Python Luncher preferences, and change the interpreter to Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw

Now that I want to open IDLE and open my old projects, it doesn't run!
Is there anything that I am missing?

oh btw, I used to use Python 2.6.7 that comes preinstalled on Mac OS.

I really appreciate your help.

Hans Mulder 07-17-2012 04:27 PM

Re: Python 2.6 on Mac 10.7 doesn't work
 
On 17/07/12 15:47:05, Naser Nikandish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Python 2.6 on Mac OS Lion. Here is what I did:
>
> 1- Download Mac Installer disk image (2.6) (sig) from
> http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6/
>
> 2- Install it
>
> 3- Run Python Luncher, go to Python Luncher preferences, and change the
> interpreter to Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw
>
> Now that I want to open IDLE and open my old projects, it doesn't run!
> Is there anything that I am missing?


You may be missing a leading slash. The path to pythonw is
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw


> oh btw, I used to use Python 2.6.7 that comes preinstalled on Mac OS.


That could also be the problem. You could try using the Python you've
downloaded in step 1.

> I really appreciate your help.


You could try opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and running:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pyt\
hon /Applications/Python\ 2.6/IDLE.app/Contents/MacOS/IDLE

(you can type it one two lines, as shown, or as a single rather long
line, leaving out the backslash-newline).

That should run Idle, or, if it doesn't, it should give you a useful
error message.

Hope this helps,

-- HansM


Ned Deily 07-17-2012 09:02 PM

Re: Python 2.6 on Mac 10.7 doesn't work
 
In article <5005927a$0$6949$e4fe514c@news2.news.xs4all.nl>,
Hans Mulder <hansmu@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 17/07/12 15:47:05, Naser Nikandish wrote:
> > I am trying to install Python 2.6 on Mac OS Lion. Here is what I did:
> >
> > 1- Download Mac Installer disk image (2.6) (sig) from
> > http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6/
> >
> > 2- Install it
> >
> > 3- Run Python Luncher, go to Python Luncher preferences, and change the
> > interpreter to
> > Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw
> >
> > Now that I want to open IDLE and open my old projects, it doesn't run!
> > Is there anything that I am missing?

>
> You may be missing a leading slash. The path to pythonw is
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/pythonw


Also keep in mind that Python 2.6 has been moved to security-fix-only
mode which, among other things, means that new binary installers for OS
X are not being made. The most recent OS X binary installer was 2.6.6.
The system Python in OS X 10.7 Lion is 2.6.7. There has been one
additional security fix release for 2.6 (2.6.8) since then. If you need
Python 2, you really should consider moving to Python 2.7, which is
already at 2.7.3 and is fully maintained. (The most recent Python 3
release is 3.2.3, also fully maintained.)

--
Ned Deily,
nad@acm.org



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.