Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: assertraises behaviour (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t948180-re-assertraises-behaviour.html)

andrea crotti 07-17-2012 09:06 AM

Re: assertraises behaviour

2012/7/16 Peter Otten <__peter__@web.de>:
> No, I don't see how the code you gave above can fail with an OSError.
>
> Can you give an example that produces the desired behaviour with nose? Maybe
> we can help you translate it to basic unittest.

Well this is what I meant:

import unittest

class TestWithRaises(unittest.TestCase):
def test_first(self):
assert False

def test_second(self):
print("also called")
assert True

if __name__ == '__main__':
unittest.main()

in this case also the second test is run even if the first fails..
But that's probably easy because we just need to catch exceptions for
every method call, so it's not exactly the same thing..

Ulrich Eckhardt 07-17-2012 10:34 AM

Re: assertraises behaviour

Am 17.07.2012 11:06, schrieb andrea crotti:
> import unittest
>
> class TestWithRaises(unittest.TestCase):
> def test_first(self):
> assert False
>
> def test_second(self):
> print("also called")
> assert True
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
> unittest.main()
>
> in this case also the second test is run even if the first fails..

The reason for that is that the unit testing framework catches and
handles the error. It calls both test functions in some unspecified
order and logs the result. Calls to two separate test functions are
thereby separated from each other. This is intentionally so, but I think
you can also give the unit testing framework a flag that makes it abort
after the first error. In no way will the exception escape from the
unittest.main() call though, it is all caught and handled inside, also
by intention.

> But that's probably easy because we just need to catch exceptions for
> every method call, so it's not exactly the same thing..

I don't understand what you want to say here. I also don't understand
what your problem in general is. I guess there are some expectations
which are not satisfied, but you haven't explained those explicitly yet.

Uli

Prasad, Ramit 07-17-2012 05:49 PM

RE: assertraises behaviour

> > import unittest

> > class TestWithRaises(unittest.TestCase):
> > def test_first(self):
> > assert False
> >
> > def test_second(self):
> > print("also called")
> > assert True
> >
> > if __name__ == '__main__':
> > unittest.main()
> >
> > in this case also the second test is run even if the first fails..

> The reason for that is that the unit testing framework catches and
> handles the error. It calls both test functions in some unspecified
> order and logs the result. Calls to two separate test functions are
>thereby separated from each other. This is intentionally so, but I think
> you can also give the unit testing framework a flag that makes it abort
> after the first error. In no way will the exception escape from the
> unittest.main() call though, it is all caught and handled inside, also
> by intention.
>

> > But that's probably easy because we just need to catch exceptions for
> > every method call, so it's not exactly the same thing..

> I don't understand what you want to say here. I also don't understand
> what your problem in general is. I guess there are some expectations
> which are not satisfied, but you haven't explained those explicitly yet.

I think Andrea wants to do the same thing but with nose andnot
unittest.

Ramit

Mark Lawrence 07-17-2012 06:03 PM

Re: assertraises behaviour

On 17/07/2012 18:49, Prasad, Ramit wrote:
>>> import unittest
>>>
>>> class TestWithRaises(unittest.TestCase):
>>> def test_first(self):
>>> assert False
>>>
>>> def test_second(self):
>>> print("also called")
>>> assert True
>>>
>>> if __name__ == '__main__':
>>> unittest.main()
>>>
>>> in this case also the second test is run even if the first fails..

>> The reason for that is that the unit testing framework catches and
>> handles the error. It calls both test functions in some unspecified
>> order and logs the result. Calls to two separate test functions are
>> thereby separated from each other. This is intentionally so, but I think
>> you can also give the unit testing framework a flag that makes it abort
>> after the first error. In no way will the exception escape from the
>> unittest.main() call though, it is all caught and handled inside, also
>> by intention.
>>

>>> But that's probably easy because we just need to catch exceptions for
>>> every method call, so it's not exactly the same thing..

>> I don't understand what you want to say here. I also don't understand
>> what your problem in general is. I guess there are some expectations
>> which are not satisfied, but you haven't explained those explicitly yet.
>>

> I think Andrea wants to do the same thing but with nose and not
> unittest.
>
> Ramit

> conditions including on offers for the purchase or sale of
> securities, accuracy and completeness of information, viruses,
> confidentiality, legal privilege, and legal entity disclaimers,
> available at http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures/email.

Do what? Like Ulrich Eckhart I simply don't understand what she's
getting at. Perhaps it's a problem with Englsh being a second language
issue rather than Python itself. Thankfully I'm sure that everything
will come out in the wash.

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Prasad, Ramit 07-17-2012 09:04 PM

RE: assertraises behaviour

> >> The reason for that is that the unit testing framework catches and
> >> handles the error. It calls both test functions in some unspecified
> >> order and logs the result. Calls to two separate test functions are
> >> thereby separated from each other. This is intentionally so, but I think
> >> you can also give the unit testing framework a flag that makes it abort
> >> after the first error. In no way will the exception escape from the
> >> unittest.main() call though, it is all caught and handled inside, also
> >> by intention.

> >> I don't understand what you want tosay here. I also don't understand
> >> what your problem in generalis. I guess there are some expectations
> >> which are not satisfied, but you haven't explained those explicitly yet.
> >>

> > I think Andrea wants to do the same thing but with nose and not
> > unittest.
> >
> > Ramit
> >

> Do what?Like Ulrich Eckhart I simply don't understand what she's
> getting at. Perhaps it's a problem with Englsh being a second language
> issue rather than Python itself. Thankfully I'm sure that everything
>will come out in the wash.
>
> --
> Cheers.
>
> Mark Lawrence.

I get the impression that nose stopsrunning tests once any test
fails instead of running all tests and listing all the tests and
their pass/fail status (like unittest). Granted that is just what
I get from the context as I read it as I haveno knowledge of nose.