Velocity Reviews

-   -   Using a CMS for small site? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t947808-using-a-cms-for-small-site.html)

Gilles 07-04-2012 09:30 AM

Using a CMS for small site?

Hello

Someone I know with no computer knowledge has a studio appartment to
rent in Paris and spent four months building a small site in Joomla to
find short-time renters.

The site is just...
- a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
displayed in a Flash slide show
- a calendar to show availability
- a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
- (ASAP) online payment

Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
Django? Other?

Is a full-fledged CMS even needed for something like that?

Thank you.

Roy Smith 07-04-2012 10:28 AM

Re: Using a CMS for small site?

In article <pu28v7t3nstsamp9emp1781utck1mei744@4ax.com>,
Gilles <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Someone I know with no computer knowledge has a studio appartment to
> rent in Paris and spent four months building a small site in Joomla to
> find short-time renters.
>
> The site is just...
> - a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
> displayed in a Flash slide show
> - a calendar to show availability
> - a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
> - (ASAP) online payment
>
> Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
> Django? Other?

You probably want to look at https://www.django-cms.org/. It's not
something that a person with "no computer knowledge" could set up, but
once it's set up, that person could use it to build pages.

But, to be honest, for somebody who really doesn't know anything, some
much more pre-canned solution like WordPress might be what they're
looking for.

Gilles 07-04-2012 02:24 PM

Re: Using a CMS for small site?

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 06:28:09 -0400, Roy Smith <roy@panix.com> wrote:
>You probably want to look at https://www.django-cms.org/. It's not
>something that a person with "no computer knowledge" could set up, but
>once it's set up, that person could use it to build pages.
>
>But, to be honest, for somebody who really doesn't know anything, some
>much more pre-canned solution like WordPress might be what they're
>looking for.

Thanks for the input. Considering that contents won't change, I was
wondering if a full-fledged CMS was even necessary.

Roy Smith 07-04-2012 03:21 PM

Re: Using a CMS for small site?

In article <7fk8v7pijp359t62clgj5g4n3d4acvap3k@4ax.com>,
Gilles <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 06:28:09 -0400, Roy Smith <roy@panix.com> wrote:
> >You probably want to look at https://www.django-cms.org/. It's not
> >something that a person with "no computer knowledge" could set up, but
> >once it's set up, that person could use it to build pages.
> >
> >But, to be honest, for somebody who really doesn't know anything, some
> >much more pre-canned solution like WordPress might be what they're
> >looking for.

> Thanks for the input. Considering that contents won't change, I was
> wondering if a full-fledged CMS was even necessary.

If the content is truly never going to change, there's nothing to
prevent you from creating some static html files with your favorite text
editor.

This is really getting quite far afield for a Python group. There are
better forums for these kinds of questions.

Gilles 07-04-2012 10:34 PM

Re: Using a CMS for small site?

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 11:21:42 -0400, Roy Smith <roy@panix.com> wrote:
>This is really getting quite far afield for a Python group. There are
>better forums for these kinds of questions.

Probably. I'll keep that in mind while checking Python web frameworks.
Thanks.

alex23 07-05-2012 12:09 AM

Re: Using a CMS for small site?

On Jul 5, 1:21*am, Roy Smith <r...@panix.com> wrote:
> If the content is truly never going to change, there's nothing to
> prevent you from creating some static html files with your favorite text
> editor.
>
> This is really getting quite far afield for a Python group. *There are
> better forums for these kinds of questions.

Not necessarily! There are several static site generators written in
Python :)

One that I see being updating a lot is Nikola: http://nikola.ralsina.com.ar/

Dieter Maurer 07-05-2012 08:27 AM

Re: Using a CMS for small site?

Gilles <nospam@nospam.com> writes:

> The site is just...
> - a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
> displayed in a Flash slide show
> - a calendar to show availability
> - a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
> - (ASAP) online payment
>
> Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
> Django? Other?

There is also "Plone" ("http://plone.org") -- easy to set up.

You likely need third party extensions for the "anti-SPAM" support
and the onlie payment.

Unfortunately, "Plone" is quite resource hungry -- especially it wants
quite some memory.

Gilles 07-05-2012 01:01 PM

Re: Using a CMS for small site?

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 17:09:40 -0700 (PDT), alex23 <wuwei23@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Not necessarily! There are several static site generators written in
>Python :)
>
>One that I see being updating a lot is Nikola: http://nikola.ralsina.com.ar/

I'll check it out, thanks.

Gilles 07-05-2012 01:02 PM

Re: Using a CMS for small site?

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 10:27:40 +0200, Dieter Maurer
<dieter@handshake.de> wrote:
>There is also "Plone" ("http://plone.org") -- easy to set up.
>
>You likely need third party extensions for the "anti-SPAM" support
>and the onlie payment.

I'll see what extensions it offers. Thanks.

Alex Clark 07-05-2012 02:30 PM

Re: Using a CMS for small site?

On 7/5/12 4:27 AM, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Gilles <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
>
>> The site is just...
>> - a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
>> displayed in a Flash slide show
>> - a calendar to show availability
>> - a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
>> - (ASAP) online payment
>>
>> Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
>> Django? Other?

> There is also "Plone" ("http://plone.org") -- easy to set up.
>
> You likely need third party extensions for the "anti-SPAM" support
> and the onlie payment.
>
> Unfortunately, "Plone" is quite resource hungry -- especially it wants
> quite some memory.

Actually with Plone 4 (and 4.2 in particular) that is becoming less
true, I recently shrunk http://aclark.net to a 256MB vhost on rackspace
cloud.

--
Alex Clark http://pythonpackages.com