Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Software to check if images are blurred (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t947262-re-software-to-check-if-images-are-blurred.html)

RichA 06-20-2012 02:39 AM

On Jun 19, 12:44*pm, Alfred Molon <alfred_mo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there a software tool which can check if images are blurred? I'd like
> to avoid checking images one by one.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Don't see anything like it, but if you apply this and it helps,
perhaps the image was blurred? I know, it won't automatically scan
images and let you know, which is something we could all use.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...e-software.htm

R. Kennedy McEwen 06-21-2012 12:37 AM

Re: Software to check if images are blurred

In article <MPG.2a4c49916114994698c767@news.supernews.com>, Alfred Molon
<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> writes

>Well, I just returned from a trip to Poland and Czechia with 4000 photos
>and would like to sort out the not sharp ones. Doing it manually, i.e.
>examining all images at 100% takes a lot of time

If you aren't going to look at them all then why did you shoot 4000
images in the first place? Wotcha gonna do if they are all sharp? ;-)
And many a prize photo has been blurred.

Even if half of them are blurred then its going to take a lot of time to
look at the remaining 2000. And if more than half are blurred you
should be asking why, not how to avoid viewing them.

Never understood the "machine gun" approach to photography, but asking
for automation to reject your failures adds a whole new level to "point
and shoot".
--
Kennedy

David J Taylor 06-21-2012 06:41 AM

Re: Software to check if images are blurred

> http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...e-software.htm

However this deblur utility looks interesting. How well does it perform?
BTW, 5-10 minutes for a 10MP photo is slow.
--

Alfred Molon
================================

http://www.zen147963.zen.co.uk/Unshake/

It's not "deblur" it's "unshake", so perhaps more a tool for removing camera
shake than for correcting out-of-focus images. It's written in Java, and
may not take advantage of all the special instructions in today's processors
which can speed up image processing. I've used an earlier version for just
one or two photos where it did show some improvement in sharpness, at the
inevitable expense of increased noise level. I see the current version may
include a faster Linux version written in C.

David

Martin Brown 06-21-2012 07:28 AM

On 21/06/2012 07:41, David J Taylor wrote:
>> http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...e-software.htm
>>

> However this deblur utility looks interesting. How well does it perform?
> BTW, 5-10 minutes for a 10MP photo is slow.

Be fair. It is in Java and although a native code version would be 10x
faster it would still take a minute or so per image.

Deconvolution is a difficult and ill conditioned inverse problem and all
the iterative methods take quite some time to execute. The time taken is
usually sufficient that it is only worth applying these methods to
images that are extremely important/irreplacable or are pushing the
physical hardware limits or astronomical telescopes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown 06-21-2012 08:08 AM

On 20/06/2012 20:57, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article<c73ed414-59a3-4b6c-8c32-
> 6e976bd1b01b@m3g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>, RichA says...
>> Don't see anything like it, but if you apply this and it helps,
>> perhaps the image was blurred? I know, it won't automatically scan
>> images and let you know, which is something we could all use.
>>
>> http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...e-software.htm

> Well, I just returned from a trip to Poland and Czechia with 4000 photos
> and would like to sort out the not sharp ones. Doing it manually, i.e.
> examining all images at 100% takes a lot of time, which is why such a
> tool would come in handy.

Your best bet is to sort the images by size. It won't be perfect as
there may be a few technically good pictures with high compressibility
but there will be almost no out of focus images at the top of the size
range.

If you are shooting raw then you are out of luck as they will all be
pretty much the same size. Though you could zip them to figure out a
crude ranking according to info content.

> However this deblur utility looks interesting. How well does it perform?
> BTW, 5-10 minutes for a 10MP photo is slow.

About par for the coure using Java. A compiled code version might be an
order of magnitude faster but that is all. Deconvolution is a *very*
hard problem and fraught with difficulties. It is very easy to lose
information but much more difficult to get it back again afterwards.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

David J Taylor 06-21-2012 02:55 PM

"Martin Brown" wrote in message news:62AEr.25$nr5.18@newsfe17.iad...

On 21/06/2012 07:41, David J Taylor wrote:
>> http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...e-software.htm
>>

> However this deblur utility looks interesting. How well does it perform?
> BTW, 5-10 minutes for a 10MP photo is slow.

Be fair. It is in Java and although a native code version would be 10x
faster it would still take a minute or so per image.
[]
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Please be careful with your quoting - I (David J Taylor) didn't write that
it was slow (although since I have been upgraded to Windows Live Mail 2011
many correct formatting conventions have fallen by the wayside!). Is the
native C application for Linux any faster?

Cheers,
David

Martin Brown 06-21-2012 07:59 PM

On 21/06/2012 15:55, David J Taylor wrote:
> "Martin Brown" wrote in message news:62AEr.25$nr5.18@newsfe17.iad...
>
> On 21/06/2012 07:41, David J Taylor wrote:
>>> http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...e-software.htm
>>>

>> However this deblur utility looks interesting. How well does it perform?
>> BTW, 5-10 minutes for a 10MP photo is slow.

> Be fair. It is in Java and although a native code version would be 10x
> faster it would still take a minute or so per image.
> []

[forced manual quotation to get around totally broken posting]
> --
> Regards,
> Martin Brown
> ==================================
>

> Please be careful with your quoting - I (David J Taylor) didn't write that it was slow (although since I have been upgraded to Windows Live Mail 2011 many correct formatting conventions have fallen by the wayside!). Is the native C application for Linux any faster?
>
> Cheers,
> David

It is your news client that is *totally* screwed up and not my quoting!

Everything you post is put into the previous posters signature block see
above. Any correctly conforming news or email client strips it off.

I didn't notice until I saw th next post down.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

nospam 06-21-2012 08:21 PM

Re: Software to check if images are blurred

In article <3st6u7do8ktgdg4opec7s2h9u3pav2noqc@4ax.com>, Mxsmanic
<mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Sometimes I might be at the end of a long zoom and will shoot 2-3 images
> > hoping that one will be shartp.

> Use a Nikon AF-S zoom with a proper Nikon autofocus system, and all of the
> images will be sharp.

false. nothing is perfect, including autofocus systems.

> Set the autofocus to continuous mode and the images will
> be sharp even if the subject is racing towards you.

unless it decides to track a subject other than the one you want.

> > Or I might shoot at 1/5s handheld,
> > relying on IS, and again I'll take several shots of the same subject,
> > hoping a sharp one will be among them.

> Use a tripod and you won't need IS.

tripods are often prohibited or not practical.

PeterN 06-21-2012 09:27 PM

On 6/21/2012 2:24 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article<99LhGlWyym4PFwid@kennedym.demon.co.uk>, R. Kennedy McEwen
> says...
>> Never understood the "machine gun" approach to photography, but asking
>> for automation to reject your failures adds a whole new level to "point
>> and shoot".

> ???
>
> Sometimes I might be at the end of a long zoom and will shoot 2-3 images
> hoping that one will be shartp. Or I might shoot at 1/5s handheld,
> relying on IS, and again I'll take several shots of the same subject,
> hoping a sharp one will be among them.
>
> As to the 4000 images, if you visited the places I visited you would
> understand why I took so many shots. I spent two weeks travelling to
> Dresden, southern Poland and the Czech republic.

Your approach is certainly rational. And I can understand why you would
like automation, I think the best approach is your eye. there are many
images that will be enhanced if some areas are OOF.

--
Peter

R. Kennedy McEwen 06-21-2012 10:17 PM

Re: Software to check if images are blurred

In article <MPG.2a4d853f59f749398c76a@news.supernews.com>, Alfred Molon
<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> writes

>As to the 4000 images, if you visited the places I visited you would
>understand why I took so many shots. I spent two weeks travelling to
>Dresden, southern Poland and the Czech republic.

Wrong argument.

I just spent 4 weeks travelling around the US West, from the Californian
coast to Utah's canyonlands with various resorts in between, including
the astronomical events of a solar eclipse and a transit of Venus. I
certainly took more than 4000 shots, but not so many that I need a
software aid to weed out the very small number of blurred images that
occurred for whatever the reason, including some which were deliberately
blurred.

Then again, I grew up in the manual exposure, manual focus, film era
when every shot was carefully considered for composure, exposure, value
and worth. If its worth doing at all then its worth doing right. Just
because you can shoot something doesn't mean you have to - life is too
short!

I still contend that if you need any sort of aid to weed out blurred
images then, quite simply, you have taken more shots than you are
capable of managing and the solution is a filter behind both the camera
and your eye. End of.
--
Kennedy