Velocity Reviews

-   -   iTunes Music Issues (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t947151-itunes-music-issues.html)

ckozicki@snet.net 06-16-2012 01:19 PM

iTunes Music Issues

FORGIVE ME FOR YELLING BUT I AM TIRED OF THIS!!!

Ever since last August, when I installed iTunes and purchased an iPod Touch, the following have been happening:

-Some songs have, over the last 10 months, suddenly become shortened and cut off suddenly in the middle. The amount remaining varies, from :30sec to 3minutes.

-Some songs have disappeared entirely since installing iTunes!

Background: I have folders set up specifically for my iPod - for music, pictures, video, etc. They comprise the "image" for that iPod, if you will. Files are loaded into iTunes from NOWHERE ELSE but those folders, and are then synced to the iPod. Actually, I do "manual management" of my iPod, because of what Syncing has done in the past.

What happens is that I notice a song playing on my iPod suddenly ends - abrubtly - 1 minute, two minutes, three min, whatever, into the song! I look at the length on the display and sure enough, it's been truncated. I look in iTunes - same thing. I go to the aforementioned folders on my PC, the song is shortened there too. Even on my portable harddrive backup!

I have posted these problems to various newsgroups and to https://discussions.apple.com/community/ipod (which is sanctioned by Cupertino itself and even THEY can't explain or help with what I'm going through!!)

Does ANYONE HERE know what the hell is going with my music collection before it is completely compromised or disappears??? Some have suggested that iTunes is performing DRM checkups on stuff I import to it which might be affecting my music. I don't believe it because it's happening to mp3 files ofrecordings I've made in my own HOUSE - not just mp3s I've downloaded.

????

-ChrisCoaster

- Bobb - 06-16-2012 08:07 PM

Re: iTunes Music Issues

<ckozicki@snet.net> wrote in message
[...]

Lots of questions / confirmations:

The backups are bad too - on an external drive ???
Corrupted songs are both downloaded/store-bought as well as your own mp3's ?

With iPod disconnected are the songs OK on PC ? when viewed from ITunes.
How about not thru iTunes ? Are the mp3's OK ?
Hook up the external drive to another pc - ignore iTunes - just open the
folders - play with WMP - are the files , sizes, mod dates ok ?
If that second PC has iTunes how are the files on PC #2 ?
If the external drive files were not 'bad' on PC2, the files pointing to
them must be bad. The iPod doesn't write to the drive except via PC/ The
iPod can't truncate the files that were on the hard drive - it's at home,
right so it's their pointers in iTunes that are bad. ( only going 53 sectors
from start rather than 72 for example ).

If the iPod were a disk drive I'd say your disk is failing. Since memory in
there I'd say the memory is failing - messing the directory structure
associated with your files.

Have you wiped/reinstalled the software on the iPod ?

ckozicki@snet.net 06-16-2012 08:45 PM

Re: iTunes Music Issues

> -ChrisCoaster
> Lots of questions / confirmations:
>
> The backups are bad too - on an external drive ???
> Corrupted songs are both downloaded/store-bought as well as your own mp3's ?
>
> With iPod disconnected are the songs OK on PC ? when viewed from ITunes.
> How about not thru iTunes ? Are the mp3's OK ?
> Hook up the external drive to another pc - ignore iTunes - just open the
> folders - play with WMP - are the files , sizes, mod dates ok ?
> If that second PC has iTunes how are the files on PC #2 ?
> If the external drive files were not 'bad' on PC2, the files pointing to
> them must be bad. The iPod doesn't write to the drive except via PC/ The
> iPod can't truncate the files that were on the hard drive - it's at home,
> right so it's their pointers in iTunes that are bad. ( only going 53 sectors
> from start rather than 72 for example ).
>
> If the iPod were a disk drive I'd say your disk is failing. Since memory in
> there I'd say the memory is failing - messing the directory structure
> associated with your files.
>
> Have you wiped/reinstalled the software on the iPod ?

____________________________

Let me explain as best as possible:

It happens at random, from 1 to 3 songs a month. Either song will be shortened (for example Original length = 4:47, truncated length suddenly 2:30 or even :30sec!) or disappear completely from the iPod, iTunes and the C:/source folder. All of a sudden, "Stairway To Heaven" is only 3min long!

Played in WMP, Real Player, song is still truncated.

I have not had the chance/time to test it out on another PC.

iPod Touch has crashed twice since I owned it - once in April and two weeksago. It has been since restored and otherwise works OK.

I have over 2,000 songs and may have to back them all up to CDs - somethingI'm not exactly looking fwd to! :)

-CC

- Bobb - 06-17-2012 04:16 PM

Re: iTunes Music Issues

> -ChrisCoaster
> Lots of questions / confirmations:
>
> The backups are bad too - on an external drive ???
> Corrupted songs are both downloaded/store-bought as well as your own mp3's
> ?
>
> With iPod disconnected are the songs OK on PC ? when viewed from ITunes.
> How about not thru iTunes ? Are the mp3's OK ?
> Hook up the external drive to another pc - ignore iTunes - just open the
> folders - play with WMP - are the files , sizes, mod dates ok ?
> If that second PC has iTunes how are the files on PC #2 ?
> If the external drive files were not 'bad' on PC2, the files pointing to
> them must be bad. The iPod doesn't write to the drive except via PC/ The
> iPod can't truncate the files that were on the hard drive - it's at home,
> right so it's their pointers in iTunes that are bad. ( only going 53
> sectors
> from start rather than 72 for example ).
>
> If the iPod were a disk drive I'd say your disk is failing. Since memory
> in
> there I'd say the memory is failing - messing the directory structure
> associated with your files.
>
> Have you wiped/reinstalled the software on the iPod ?

____________________________

Let me explain as best as possible:

It happens at random, from 1 to 3 songs a month. Either song will be
shortened (for example Original length = 4:47, truncated length suddenly
2:30 or even :30sec!) or disappear completely from the iPod, iTunes and the
C:/source folder. All of a sudden, "Stairway To Heaven" is only 3min long!

Played in WMP, Real Player, song is still truncated.

I have not had the chance/time to test it out on another PC.

iPod Touch has crashed twice since I owned it - once in April and two weeks
ago. It has been since restored and otherwise works OK.

I have over 2,000 songs and may have to back them all up to CDs - something
I'm not exactly looking fwd to! :)

-CC
============

1. If c:\source folder is also bad then Itunes must be sync'ing
Uncheck that box.

This corruption occurs when offline, right ? So walking down the beach and
Stairway to Heaven is fine today but tomorrow is 30 seconds long - NOT
connected to pc in between ?
( Just trying to confirm that the iTouch is the source of corruption.)

If that's the case then the iTouch is bad ( Yeah thanks for the help) and if
iTouch software was already wiped/restored and problem continues , it's not
something that you or I are going to 'fix' - there's a hardware failure.

BUT by not syncing you can leave the 'good music' on the PC and until
resolved, whenever you get file corruption on the iTouch, delete the bad
file and copy from PC to iTouch again.

2. You DID install latest ITunes, Touch software right ?

Did you see this ?
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?pa...0corruption%20

numeric character references. Visiting a maliciously crafted website may
lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution.
This update addresses the issue through improved handling of numeric
character references."

OR
Issues may occur leading to data corruption or data loss if you regularly
sync Contacts, Calendars, Notes, or bookmarks between multiple computers
using iTunes and your iOS device.

several similar updates, depending upon iTouch rev, IOS version etc.

About the security content of iTunes 10.6
Impact: A man-in-the-middle attack while browsing the iTunes Store via
iTunes may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code
execution Description: Multiple memory corruption issues existed in WebKit.
CVE-ID

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?pa....searchresults

ckozicki@snet.net 06-18-2012 10:42 AM

Re: iTunes Music Issues

Yes: both iTunes and iOS are the latest. I also have "manually manage" checkmarked in the sync menu under the General Tab for my Touch.

As far as being "on line" my PC is online whenever I power it up - I have cable internet. The iPod Touch too is always on line - wi fi.

I could perform a test to see if certain of my songs expire after so many plays or or shorten in length by playing them repeatedly. Again, this is happening to random songs.

ckozicki@snet.net 06-18-2012 10:47 AM

Re: iTunes Music Issues

ADDENDUM to my last reply: The vanishing/shortening of songs occurs regardless of how frequently/infrequently I'm hooked up to iTunes.

-CC

- Bobb - 06-18-2012 12:48 PM

Re: iTunes Music Issues

So that would then definitely in the iTouch - not corrupted as a result of
interaction with PC/ iTunes , right ? So it then has to be the IPod is
corrupting iTunes/disk backups right ?
Regardless of the little box for sync being checked or not.
Need to isolate each - too many variables now.

Why do normally hook it up to PC , to recharge or to load new songs ???
Reason I ask - I have IPod and all PC music is on it , so I never NEED to
hook it up to PC.
BUT 99% of my music is from my own mp3 library, not iTunes store. I only use
ITunes a few times per year - after buying CD/DVD, updating my mp3 library
if I want the album on IPod I use iTunes. The rest of the time I use
MusicMatch to listen to music on pc.

If you are normally not changing music , buy a USB car charger/ AC adapter
and recharge IPod that way. If after a month or two of THAT you have no
corruption, you've learned something. If that's acceptable, great - the
source of corruption is PC .

If that fails ( as it sounds it might/should) then the ITouch itself has a
problem and you need IPod advice ... are there logs to be viewed to help
with troubleshooting, might it be a power supply hiccup , a failing memory
chip, etc. For that I'd find an IPod forum to get advice of those more
knowledgeable about that.

Good luck.

ckozicki@snet.net 06-18-2012 02:59 PM

Re: iTunes Music Issues

On Monday, June 18, 2012 8:48:20 AM UTC-4, - Bobb - wrote:
> So that would then definitely in the iTouch - not corrupted as a result of
> interaction with PC/ iTunes , right ? So it then has to be the IPod is
> corrupting iTunes/disk backups right ?
> Regardless of the little box for sync being checked or not.
> Need to isolate each - too many variables now.
>
> Why do normally hook it up to PC , to recharge or to load new songs ???
> Reason I ask - I have IPod and all PC music is on it , so I never NEED to
> hook it up to PC.
> BUT 99% of my music is from my own mp3 library, not iTunes store. I only use
> ITunes a few times per year - after buying CD/DVD, updating my mp3 library
> if I want the album on IPod I use iTunes. The rest of the time I use
> MusicMatch to listen to music on pc.
>
> If you are normally not changing music , buy a USB car charger/ AC adapter
> and recharge IPod that way. If after a month or two of THAT you have no
> corruption, you've learned something. If that's acceptable, great - the
> source of corruption is PC .
>
> If that fails ( as it sounds it might/should) then the ITouch itself has a
> problem and you need IPod advice ... are there logs to be viewed to help
> with troubleshooting, might it be a power supply hiccup , a failing memory
> chip, etc. For that I'd find an IPod forum to get advice of those more
> knowledgeable about that.
>
> Good luck.
>

> <net> wrote in message
> > ADDENDUM to my last reply: The vanishing/shortening of songs occurs
> > regardless of how frequently/infrequently I'm hooked up to iTunes.

_____________________________________

Thanks for the suggs, see my inserts below:

Bobb sez:
So that would then definitely in the iTouch - not corrupted as a result of
interaction with PC/ iTunes , right ? So it then has to be the IPod is
corrupting iTunes/disk backups right ?
Regardless of the little box for sync being checked or not.
Need to isolate each - too many variables now.

Why do normally hook it up to PC , to recharge or to load new songs ???
Reason I ask - I have IPod and all PC music is on it , so I never NEED to
hook it up to PC.
_______________
ChrisCoaster: I Hook up to PC ONLY when adding/replacing songs, adding photos, vids, etc.
_________________
BUT 99% of my music is from my own mp3 library, not iTunes store.
____________
Coaster: Same here. :) Most of my stuff is CD rips, Amazon, home-produced, etc.
_____________

__________________
Coaster: http://www.popgadget.net/images/charger-cropped.jpg - I never use my PC to charge anything.
___________________
If that fails ( as it sounds it might/should) then the ITouch itself has a
problem and you need IPod advice ... are there logs to be viewed to help
with troubleshooting, might it be a power supply hiccup , a failing memory
chip, etc. For that I'd find an IPod forum to get advice of those more
knowledgeable about that.
___________________
This happened also with my Sandisk Sansa View - but not as often! Maybe 1-2x a month.
____________________

Good luck.

- Bobb - 06-18-2012 09:09 PM

Re: iTunes Music Issues

top-answer:

If "This happened also with my Sandisk Sansa View - but not as often!
Maybe 1-2x a month", that was an important thing to discuss up front. You
say that it's not PC and not hardware, then it must a virus or lunar high
tide/ planet alignment.
There's something missing here. I don't understand how:
IF you don't run iTunes, and the iTouch (which generation?) and NOW the
Sandisk don't regularly interface with PC : HOW are the songs being erased
on both ? Also on your external drive at the same time as IPod ???

Has music EVER been corrupted on PC, HDD and been good on Itouch , Sensa ?
When corrupt on PC /external drive - what does event log show ?

If I follow what you're saying, an example of my thought process:
given:
1. You restored Itouch to factory
2. You wiped/reinstalled ITunes
and files get corrupted on PC , external drive, IPod and Sensa
and:
If YOU are in Vegas for a month and 2 songs get corrupted, are you saying
that if you called home and had a friend take your external drive to his
house the same 2 songs would be corrupted ?? Or they would be OK under WMP
on his PC ? I know you haven't tried that, but THAT is the next step - what
is the first SOURCE of the corruption ? However inconvenient, you need to
break the connection until it burps - then with no connection of the bad
device, check the other device and the PC/external drive.

You need to see the problem and chart when/where it occurs and on which
device. I don't think you'll find that all devices go bad if unconnected.

If they do - check to see if your house was built over some ancient burial
ground.

ckozicki@snet.net 06-19-2012 09:59 AM

Re: iTunes Music Issues

Bobb I know it's been frustrating but thanks for your very good tips so far.

I just have not had the time to track exactly when this song shortening/disappearance has gone on.

And I just thought of this(although it might not apply as it has happened to home-produced audio files as well): Is it possible to encode a MP3 or other file to "expire" or become a :30sec preview after a certain length of time or #of plays?

And as far as dedicated Apple/iPod forums go, they are mostly end users with no more understanding of what's going on than those of us it is happening to! :(