Velocity Reviews

-   -   Memory Upgrade for Cisco ASA5505 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t947043-memory-upgrade-for-cisco-asa5505.html)

starlight.binnacle@gmail.com 06-13-2012 03:35 PM

Memory Upgrade for Cisco ASA5505

As many know, upgrading an ASA5505 to run firmware 8.4 causes older generation 5505s to exhaust most or all of the default 256MB of configured memory.

For those who, like me, don't want to spend $200 for a $20 DIMM here's whatyou need to know: Cisco has limited the silicon that can be used to only Infineon/Qimonda chips. They coded only these parts in the memory table ofthe custom Linux kernel employed by their firmware. If you buy a 1G Kingston/Crucial/etc DIMM you might get lucky, but you might not. Neither of a Kingston KVR400X64C3A/1G (Elpida chips) or Crucial CT12864Z40B (Micron) worked in our ASA though others have apparently had success with the Kingston part at times. An Infineon HYS64D128320HU-5-B (about $20) is the ticket and will definitely work since it will always have Infineon chips. Qimonda was purchased by Infineon awhile ago; the original 256MB DIMM in the ASA hasQimonda-labeled devices.

Posting here to help others avoid my experience of buying three DIMMS in pursuit of the upgrade. Still came out cheaper then buying the 1G Cisco SKU.