Velocity Reviews

-   -   classpath puzzle (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t946879-classpath-puzzle.html)

Roedy Green 06-08-2012 12:50 AM

classpath puzzle

import sun.util.logging.PlatformLogger;

will compile fine inside the IntelliJ IDE but fails with symbol not
found with javac *.java or with ANT

The class files lives inside rt.jar. Javac is supposed to find such
files without help. Any ideas on what is going on?

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

markspace 06-08-2012 01:08 AM

Re: classpath puzzle

On 6/7/2012 5:50 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> import sun.util.logging.PlatformLogger;
>
> will compile fine inside the IntelliJ IDE but fails with symbol not
> found with javac *.java or with ANT
>
> The class files lives inside rt.jar. Javac is supposed to find such
> files without help. Any ideas on what is going on?

Didn't we help you with this already? Didn't we discover that javac
compiles against a shortened "stub" list of classnames, and doesn't use
the rull rt.jar during compilation? Didn't we find a command line
switch for that told javac to not do that?

Roedy Green 06-08-2012 01:45 AM

Re: classpath puzzle

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 18:08:32 -0700, markspace <-@.> wrote, quoted or
indirectly quoted someone who said :

>Didn't we help you with this already? Didn't we discover that javac
>compiles against a shortened "stub" list of classnames, and doesn't use
>the rull rt.jar during compilation? Didn't we find a command line
>switch for that told javac to not do that?

Maybe somebody did, but nothing you said sounds familiar. I can see
that behaviour as an optimisation, but I would think it should look in
the real rt.jar if it can't find it. Perhaps the logger class is
considered Sun private.

I'll see if I can find that option. Thanks.

Jukka Lahtinen 06-08-2012 04:46 AM

Re: classpath puzzle

Roedy Green <see_website@mindprod.com.invalid> writes:

> import sun.util.logging.PlatformLogger;
> will compile fine inside the IntelliJ IDE but fails with symbol not
> found with javac *.java or with ANT
> The class files lives inside rt.jar. Javac is supposed to find such
> files without help. Any ideas on what is going on?

Aren't those sun.* classes in rt.jar ones meant for ONLY internal use by
other classes of the sdk library, NOT for application programmers?

--
Jukka Lahtinen

Tom McGlynn 06-08-2012 01:32 PM

Re: classpath puzzle

> I'll see if I can find that option. Thanks.

Try http://groups.google.com/group/comp....137c4bfdc5feb2
to get to the prior thread. Quoting from there:

> And the answer to my question is: javac -XDignore.symbol.file

Regards,
Tom McGlynn

Roedy Green 06-08-2012 03:26 PM

Re: classpath puzzle

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 07:46:07 +0300, Jukka Lahtinen
<jtfjdehf@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

>Aren't those sun.* classes in rt.jar ones meant for ONLY internal use by
>other classes of the sdk library, NOT for application programmers?

Yes but there are certain things you can only do by using them, like
turning of the logging of a zillion malformed cookie errors
from kobo.com

Sun has the right to change the API, delete methods etc without
notice. With other methods in the API they deprecate. Sun does not
feel obligated to document its internal methods to the same extent it
does the normal API.

They are making it a bit difficult to use the methods to ensure people
don't use them without good reason. For example they want you to use
your own Base64 rather than use the built in one. I guess they did
not have the budget to bring their Base64 up to exposure standards.

markspace 06-08-2012 10:22 PM

Re: classpath puzzle

On 6/8/2012 6:32 AM, Tom McGlynn wrote:

>> I'll see if I can find that option. Thanks.
>>

> Try http://groups.google.com/group/comp....137c4bfdc5feb2
> to get to the prior thread. Quoting from there:
>
>> And the answer to my question is: javac -XDignore.symbol.file

That's the one. Thanks for looking that up.

Roedy Green 06-09-2012 03:55 AM

Re: classpath puzzle

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 06:32:37 -0700 (PDT), Tom McGlynn
<taqmcg@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said
:

>> And the answer to my question is: javac -XDignore.symbol.file

It works. The erroneous cookies are now being ignored.