Velocity Reviews

-   -   create a restore point error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t946808-create-a-restore-point-error.html)

Martin 06-05-2012 05:37 PM

create a restore point error

hi
For some reason I am unable to restore my system
When I tried to create a restore point I got a message saying it had
failed. I have been googling all afternoon for a fix.
Anyone know what the problem might be & how to fix please?
using win7 home premium
--
Martin

Rob 06-05-2012 06:27 PM

Re: create a restore point error

On 05/06/2012 18:37, Martin wrote:
> hi
> For some reason I am unable to restore my system
> When I tried to create a restore point I got a message saying it had
> failed. I have been googling all afternoon for a fix.
> Anyone know what the problem might be& how to fix please?
> using win7 home premium

Lack of space on the system drive can cause that.
Another thing to try is turning off System Restore, then turning
it back on. If all else fails, do a malware scan as these often
mess with System Restore to prevent it from effectively uninstalling
them.
--
Rob

Martin 06-05-2012 07:59 PM

Re: create a restore point error

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 19:27:51 +0100, Rob <noone@nowhere.noway.con>
wrote:

>On 05/06/2012 18:37, Martin wrote:
>> hi
>> For some reason I am unable to restore my system
>> When I tried to create a restore point I got a message saying it had
>> failed. I have been googling all afternoon for a fix.
>> Anyone know what the problem might be& how to fix please?
>> using win7 home premium

>Lack of space on the system drive can cause that.
>Another thing to try is turning off System Restore, then turning
>it back on. If all else fails, do a malware scan as these often
>mess with System Restore to prevent it from effectively uninstalling
>them.

Hi Rob
84gig free on C drive
Turned system restore off, re-booted, turned system restore on again
no change
Did a malware scan before I received your reply found 2 suspects
re-booted again no change
--
Martin

Jeff Layman 06-06-2012 06:48 AM

Re: create a restore point error

On 05/06/2012 18:37, Martin wrote:
> hi
> For some reason I am unable to restore my system
> When I tried to create a restore point I got a message saying it had
> failed. I have been googling all afternoon for a fix.
> Anyone know what the problem might be& how to fix please?
> using win7 home premium

When all else fails, it's always worth running sfc /scannow from a
command prompt. It might fix the problem.

--

Jeff

Martin 06-06-2012 08:56 AM

Re: create a restore point error

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:48:24 +0100, Jeff Layman
<JMLayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 05/06/2012 18:37, Martin wrote:
>> hi
>> For some reason I am unable to restore my system
>> When I tried to create a restore point I got a message saying it had
>> failed. I have been googling all afternoon for a fix.
>> Anyone know what the problem might be& how to fix please?
>> using win7 home premium

>When all else fails, it's always worth running sfc /scannow from a
>command prompt. It might fix the problem.

Thanks Jeff
How do I do that?
--
Martin

Rob 06-06-2012 12:35 PM

On 06/06/2012 09:56, Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:48:24 +0100, Jeff Layman
> <JMLayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 05/06/2012 18:37, Martin wrote:
>>> hi
>>> For some reason I am unable to restore my system
>>> When I tried to create a restore point I got a message saying it had
>>> failed. I have been googling all afternoon for a fix.
>>> Anyone know what the problem might be& how to fix please?
>>> using win7 home premium

>> When all else fails, it's always worth running sfc /scannow from a
>> command prompt. It might fix the problem.

> Thanks Jeff
> How do I do that?

Hi Martin,

You need to get a command window open. Click Start>Run then type
cmd and hit enter.
If you don't have the Run command on your Start menu (usually below
Help and Support), right-click the Start button and select Properties
then hit the 'Customize' tab.
Scroll down the list and put a tick in the 'Run command' box.

Once you have a (black background) command window open, you can type
sfc /scannow
which will start the system file checker. You may be asked to insert
the original windows CD you used to install it.

HTH,
--
Rob

Jeff Layman 06-06-2012 02:08 PM

On 06/06/2012 13:35, Rob wrote:
> On 06/06/2012 09:56, Martin wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:48:24 +0100, Jeff Layman
>> <JMLayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> When all else fails, it's always worth running sfc /scannow from a
>>> command prompt. It might fix the problem.

>> Thanks Jeff
>> How do I do that?

> Hi Martin,
>
> You need to get a command window open. Click Start>Run then type
> cmd and hit enter.
> If you don't have the Run command on your Start menu (usually below
> Help and Support), right-click the Start button and select Properties
> then hit the 'Customize' tab.
> Scroll down the list and put a tick in the 'Run command' box.
>
> Once you have a (black background) command window open, you can type
> sfc /scannow
> which will start the system file checker. You may be asked to insert
> the original windows CD you used to install it.
>
> HTH,

May be a little easier to type cmd in the Start menu search box, and hit
the enter key, then follow your second paragraph

--

Jeff

Martin 06-06-2012 03:25 PM

Re: create a restore point error

Thank you Rob & Jeff
One learns something new every day
--
Regards
Martin

Martin 06-06-2012 04:32 PM

Re: create a restore point errorRob & Jeff

Hi Rob & Jeff
Finished running sfc/scannow & got a message saying that problems were
found & fixed. however, when I tried to create a restore point the
fault message returned?
--
Martin

Martin 06-07-2012 12:41 PM

Re: create a restore point errorRob & Jeff

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:21:46 +0100, Jeff Layman
<JMLayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 06/06/2012 17:32, Martin wrote:
>> Hi Rob& Jeff
>> Finished running sfc/scannow& got a message saying that problems were
>> found& fixed. however, when I tried to create a restore point the
>> fault message returned?

>What is the exact wording of the error message you are getting?

Hi Jeff
Error detected in volume shadow copy service VSS.
Problem occured while trying to contact VSS writers.
Verify event system service service & VSS service are running & check
errors in event logs 0x80042318

>This is from:
>http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-18ec25dee7d4
>
>You need to check that something called the Volume Shadow Copy service
>is running. In the Start "Search" box, type services. The search
>should highlight "Services" If it is highlighted, press the "Enter" key
>or double click on the word "Services". After a few seconds a list
>called "Services (Local)" will appear in a new window. Scroll down and
>find "Volume Shadow Copy". What does it say in the "Status" and
>"Startup Type" columns?
>
>If it shows Stopped, right-click Volume Shadow Copy, and then click
>Start and set it to Automatic.

Mine were set to stop & manual

>Repeat the above for the Windows Installer service.

Did that too

>Close the Services window you have opened.
>
>Now try to create a system restore point.

Did that but got the same error message!!
I did notice in msconfig that selective startup was selected
But I am unable to change to 'normal', when I do select 'normal' and
click apply it jumps back to selective?
Now to find out how to fix!!
--
Regards