Velocity Reviews

-   -   The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t946700-the-leap-finally-a-70-successor-to-the-mouse.html)

Possible 05-26-2012 05:25 AM

The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_d6KuiuteIA

Website:- www.leapmotion.com

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/lea...9#.T77Og7B5HTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=MYgsAMKLu7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=Kpi6aTv5o68

Rich80105@hotmail.com 05-26-2012 11:34 AM

Re: The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse?

On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
>process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
>posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
>the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
>the missing $40 to me so I can order one?
>
>Why don't you either get your information correct or just STFU?

EMB, I am impressed that you sorted out the shipping cost in $NZ.
Since they don't ship until December 2012 / January 2013, can you tell
us who you are able to order from wioth fixed shipping costs in $NZ?

Peter Huebner 05-26-2012 12:43 PM

Re: The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse?

In article <o8q0s7tfstltvk30rm9603efts2uahmtvi@4ax.com>,
pos@anywhere.com says...

[snippage of links]

I had a look at one of those demo vids.

No way would I want to sit in front of my computer for a few hours
gesturing away with one or both arms. I'd probably end up with inflamed
shoulders ... just try holding your arms straight out for 1/2 an hour
and wiggling your fingers.

It's a cute idea, but --- no thanks. If I had a special application for
it like cad, MAYBE. Might be able to replace a wacom.

-P.

Frank Williams 05-26-2012 01:39 PM

Re: The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse?

On Sun, 27 May 2012 00:43:12 +1200, Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address>
wrote:

>In article <o8q0s7tfstltvk30rm9603efts2uahmtvi@4ax.com>,
>pos@anywhere.com says...
>>

>[snippage of links]
>
>I had a look at one of those demo vids.
>
>No way would I want to sit in front of my computer for a few hours
>gesturing away with one or both arms. I'd probably end up with inflamed
>shoulders ... just try holding your arms straight out for 1/2 an hour
>and wiggling your fingers.
>
>It's a cute idea, but --- no thanks. If I had a special application for
>it like cad, MAYBE. Might be able to replace a wacom.
>

>-P.

Yes there were a lot of comments about having to hold your arm up
causing your arm to get strained.

The $70 came from a post that I copied

Squiggle 05-26-2012 09:57 PM

Re: The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse?

On 26/05/2012 11:34 p.m., Rich80105@hotmail.com threw some characters
down the intarwebs:
> On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
>> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
>> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
>> the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
>> the missing $40 to me so I can order one?
>>
>> Why don't you either get your information correct or just STFU?

> EMB, I am impressed that you sorted out the shipping cost in $NZ.
> Since they don't ship until December 2012 / January 2013, can you tell
> us who you are able to order from wioth fixed shipping costs in $NZ?

You really do go out of your way to make a complete prat of yourself
don't you RichBot. The prices are fixed in USD, and EMB was quoting the
costs at the prevailing exchange rate I would assume.

Possible 05-26-2012 11:26 PM

Re: The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse?

On Sun, 27 May 2012 09:57:43 +1200, Squiggle <squiggle@in.the.sand>
wrote:

>On 26/05/2012 11:34 p.m., Rich80105@hotmail.com threw some characters
>down the intarwebs:
>> On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
>>> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
>>> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
>>> the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
>>> the missing $40 to me so I can order one?
>>>
>>> Why don't you either get your information correct or just STFU?

>> EMB, I am impressed that you sorted out the shipping cost in $NZ.
>> Since they don't ship until December 2012 / January 2013, can you tell
>> us who you are able to order from wioth fixed shipping costs in $NZ?
>>

>You really do go out of your way to make a complete prat of yourself
>don't you RichBot. The prices are fixed in USD, and EMB was quoting the
>costs at the prevailing exchange rate I would assume.

No its EMB that is the complete prat, nearly all US shops now need
bank transfers and that has added costs but some shops/companies will
not ship to New Zealand, for a number of reasons one being US security
reasons

I found that out recently with some software that I was after, was sold
here but no longer, but I could not order from the US told that they
don't deal/ship to NZ.

If it does sell here it will be more like $200nz +++

Ray Greene 05-26-2012 11:44 PM

Re: The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse?

On Sun, 27 May 2012 01:39:26 +1200, Frank Williams
<FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 May 2012 00:43:12 +1200, Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address>
>wrote:
>
>>In article <o8q0s7tfstltvk30rm9603efts2uahmtvi@4ax.com>,
>>pos@anywhere.com says...
>>>

>>[snippage of links]
>>
>>I had a look at one of those demo vids.
>>
>>No way would I want to sit in front of my computer for a few hours
>>gesturing away with one or both arms. I'd probably end up with inflamed
>>shoulders ... just try holding your arms straight out for 1/2 an hour
>>and wiggling your fingers.
>>
>>It's a cute idea, but --- no thanks. If I had a special application for
>>it like cad, MAYBE. Might be able to replace a wacom.
>>

>>-P.

>Yes there were a lot of comments about having to hold your arm up
>causing your arm to get strained.

If you rested your elbow on the desk most of the time it wouldn't be
much of a strain. It would be faster to move from keyboard to hand
gestures than from keyboard to mouse. And no more RSI in the wrist
from using a mouse.

I hadn't seen this before, thanks for the heads-up.

Donchano 05-27-2012 12:58 AM

Re: The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse?

On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
>process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
>posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
>the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
>the missing $40 to me so I can order one?

Looks like a great tool for me to be able to use. So I've just
pre-ordered one of them. My cost in NZD? $`110.02 including
international shipping.

~misfit~ 05-27-2012 01:30 AM

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
> On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com> shouted
> from the highest rooftop:
>
>> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
>> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
>> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110
>> of the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing
>> over the missing $40 to me so I can order one?

> Looks like a great tool for me to be able to use. So I've just
> pre-ordered one of them. My cost in NZD? $`110.02 including
> international shipping.

Due to my aggresive killfile and snipping by other posters I didn't see the
link. I'm assuming that it's a derivative of the 'Kinect' system?
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Donchano 05-27-2012 01:49 AM

Re: The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse?

On Sun, 27 May 2012 13:30:52 +1200, "~misfit~"
<shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com> shouted
>> from the highest rooftop:
>>
>>> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
>>> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
>>> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110
>>> of the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing
>>> over the missing $40 to me so I can order one?

>> Looks like a great tool for me to be able to use. So I've just
>> pre-ordered one of them. My cost in NZD? $`110.02 including
>> international shipping.

>Due to my aggresive killfile and snipping by other posters I didn't see the
>link. I'm assuming that it's a derivative of the 'Kinect' system?

From the same people, but apparently it's supposed to be a vast
improvement on the Kinect system. Here are the links from the op: