Velocity Reviews

-   -   Starting an application from ASP.NET (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t94630-starting-an-application-from-asp-net.html)

spmm# 01-17-2005 02:10 PM

Starting an application from ASP.NET

Hi!

Can someone explain to me how I can start ms access from a ASP.NET/C# page
properly?? I've been googling for a day now, but no one seems to experience
the same trouble as I do.

I gave the ASPNET user administrator rights and followed these two articles
from msdn:

After doing this I am able to start (e.g.) Notepad like this:
Process.Start("notepad");

I see a part of the title bar of the notepad window appearing and notepad
also appears in the taskbar, but that's it.

Does anyone know how to solve this??

Thanks.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] 01-17-2005 07:21 PM

Re: Starting an application from ASP.NET

Are you trying to start this program on the server or the client?
On the client you will not have permissions to do this by default, the user
would need to adjust their browser settings to allow this.

On the server you may not have permission in some cases either. You may
need to use impersonation to solve that. Also, the default ASPNET user
account doesn't really have a desktop that it owns in which to display any
kind of a window. Most of the time the server will be running and there
will be nobody there to see any windows that pop up anyway, so why would you
need this?

Without any hassle, you should be able to run simple command line apps that
require no input as long as you have the necessary permissions.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhc3Vu?= 01-17-2005 07:31 PM

RE: Starting an application from ASP.NET

If its a MS-Access app that you want to start from the webpage on the clients
PC or on a networked drive. Can't be done without a lot of user rights hassle.

What you may want to look at is converting your access app to a smart client.
Only if this is a Intranet app and you can have the users Pcs updated with
the framework.

Deasun