Velocity Reviews

-   -   SQL DBA (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t945974-sql-dba.html)

mathew 05-04-2012 09:16 PM

SQL DBA

In todays IT services marketplace, IT departments face a daunting
challenge: they must somehow deliver the highest quality at the lowest
cost, while navigating in a highly inefficient marketplace. Net Matrix
Solutions, Inc is the leading IT professional services provider
helping clients achieve their IT services goals with the quality they
deserve. We have delivered over 1000 project resources to various
clients across American continent. Our clients are typically Fortune 1
to Fortune 3000 companies.

We are looking "SQL DBA" for fulltime with our client in Houston,
TX.

Job Summary
Responsible for the overall design, maintenance, troubleshooting and
management of the enterprise databases and database environments.
Client support, business operations, software development, and new
product development
Provide database architecture and design support
tuning and performance, Database Security
Provide database development and support to all areas of the business
Product Development, Software Development, Database technology
consultation
Includes both internal and client facing deployments.

Required Experience:
Minimum 5 years of hands on experience implementing and maintaining
relational database systems
Minimum 2-3 years of taking lead responsibility in IT system
administration/relational database administration arena
Possess good project management skills with attention to
prioritization, a high degree of accuracy, and attention to detail
Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Requires demonstrated experience in one or more of the following area;
ability to define requirements, develop proposals, assess business
value, and interface effectively with potential clients and customers
Must be a team player willing to contribute in a fast paced
environment
Ability to independently research database problems by utilizing
good problem isolation techniques, interfacing with vendor support
organizations, testing proposed solutions, verifying successful
results, documenting solutions and disseminating information to
affected personnel.
Possesses strong analytical abilities, proven technical skills,
project leadership and the ability to resolve problems in a timely
manner
Exposure to any decision support tools, data marts and the latest
data warehouse features with Microsoft

This is a Fulltime in Houston, TX.

You can reach me at mathew.anderson@netmatrixsolutions.com/
713-401-9568
Mathew
Net Matrix Solutions, Inc
Web: www.netmatrixsolutions.com
Inc. 500/5000 Company - twice in a row | FastTech 50 award winner
three times in last four years

Lew 05-04-2012 11:58 PM

Re: SQL DBA

mathew wrote:
> We are looking "SQL DBA" for fulltime with our client in Houston,
> TX.

You spammed this to a Java newsgroup, not a DBA forum.

--
Lew

Lew 05-05-2012 12:32 AM

Re: SQL DBA

Leif Roar Moldskred wrote:
> Lew wrote:
> > mathew wrote:
> >> We are looking "SQL DBA" for fulltime with our client in Houston,
> >> TX.

> > You spammed this to a Java newsgroup, not a DBA forum.

> I like how they specified that it has to be an _SQL_ DBA, and not some
> other kind of DBA (or rather, "DBA".)

Most often I find that by "SQL", recruiters mean "Microsoft SQL Server", an
interesting and perhaps offensive error.

I note that you pronounce "SQL" "ess queue ell". I usually pronounce it "sequel".

I also place opening braces differently depending on who's receiving my source.

--
Lew

--
Lew

Martin Gregorie 05-05-2012 03:07 PM

Re: SQL DBA

On Fri, 04 May 2012 17:32:17 -0700, Lew wrote:

> I note that you pronounce "SQL" "ess queue ell". I usually pronounce it
> "sequel".

Pronouncing it as 'sequel' is, IME, largely an Americanism. I almost
never hear it used on this side of the pond.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

markspace 05-05-2012 03:17 PM

Re: SQL DBA

On 5/5/2012 8:07 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Fri, 04 May 2012 17:32:17 -0700, Lew wrote:
>
>> I note that you pronounce "SQL" "ess queue ell". I usually pronounce it
>> "sequel".
>>

> Pronouncing it as 'sequel' is, IME, largely an Americanism. I almost
> never hear it used on this side of the pond.

My understanding is that "Sequel" is actually its proper name and
calling it ess-queue-ell is a bit of a rubism. Since it was developed
on this side of the pond, we ought to know.

"SQL was initially developed at IBM by Donald D. Chamberlin and Raymond
F. Boyce in the early 1970s. This version, initially called SEQUEL
(Structured English Query Language)..."

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL>

Arne Vajhøj 05-05-2012 03:43 PM

Re: SQL DBA

On 5/5/2012 11:17 AM, markspace wrote:
> On 5/5/2012 8:07 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 May 2012 17:32:17 -0700, Lew wrote:
>>
>>> I note that you pronounce "SQL" "ess queue ell". I usually pronounce it
>>> "sequel".
>>>

>> Pronouncing it as 'sequel' is, IME, largely an Americanism. I almost
>> never hear it used on this side of the pond.

> My understanding is that "Sequel" is actually its proper name and
> calling it ess-queue-ell is a bit of a rubism. Since it was developed on
> this side of the pond, we ought to know.
>
> "SQL was initially developed at IBM by Donald D. Chamberlin and Raymond
> F. Boyce in the early 1970s. This version, initially called SEQUEL
> (Structured English Query Language)..."
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL>

Did you read the pronunciation section of that link?

:-)

Arne

markspace 05-05-2012 03:48 PM

Re: SQL DBA

On 5/5/2012 8:43 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> Did you read the pronunciation section of that link?

All the business meetings and vendor presentations I've been too all
said "Sequel." Admittedly this was a few years (decades?) ago.

markspace 05-05-2012 03:50 PM

Re: SQL DBA

On 5/5/2012 8:43 AM, Leif Roar Moldskred wrote:
> markspace<-@.> wrote:
>>
>> My understanding is that "Sequel" is actually its proper name and
>> calling it ess-queue-ell is a bit of a rubism. Since it was developed
>> on this side of the pond, we ought to know.

> Yes, but you lot also say "elumenem" when you mean aluminium, so
> clearly we can not trust Westpondians when it comes to pronounciation.

I'm pretty sure I pronounce it "aluminum," like a normal person. ;-)

Martin Gregorie 05-06-2012 11:56 AM

Re: SQL DBA

On Sat, 05 May 2012 20:57:03 -0700, Lew wrote:

> markspace wrote:

>>> Yes, but you lot also say "elumenem" when you mean aluminium, so
>>> clearly we can not trust Westpondians when it comes to pronounciation.

> I believe both pronunciations are quite common, at least wherever I've
> worked.
>
> I switch between'em myself. Ayep.

Its the characteristic Westpondian habit of swallowing the
'i' in the final -ium syllable in Aluminium that I always notice,
particularly as its such an obvious anomaly: it is the only name of an
element to be pronounced that way. I've never heard anybody say Uranum,
Germanum, Plutonum or Helum.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Lew 05-07-2012 03:34 AM

Re: SQL DBA

Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> markspace wrote:

>> I believe both pronunciations are quite common, at least wherever I've
>> worked.
>>
>> I switch between'em myself. Ayep.

> Its the characteristic Westpondian habit of swallowing the
> 'i' in the final -ium syllable in Aluminium that I always notice,
> particularly as its such an obvious anomaly: it is the only name of an
> element to be pronounced that way. I've never heard anybody say Uranum,
> Germanum, Plutonum or Helum.

I'm talking about "sequel" vs. "ess queue ell". Being American, I do not say
"aluminium", but that has no bearing on Java programming. SQL does.

That's the one I pronounce both ways. Who cares about non-Java-related words?

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.