Velocity Reviews

-   -   Canon 1.4X telextender (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t945955-canon-1-4x-telextender.html)

Max 05-04-2012 01:58 AM

Canon 1.4X telextender

Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm
zoom? The lens I refer to is this one:

http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb

Max

Ian 05-04-2012 03:59 PM

Re: Canon 1.4X telextender

"Max" <thesameoldme@att.net> wrote in message
news:4fa337a5$0$17661$c3e8da3$12bcf670@news.astraw eb.com...
> Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm zoom?
> The lens I refer to is this one:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb
>
> Max

Hello Max.

The Canon 1.4 extender is only compatible with a subset of Canon lenses. I
think the subset does not include the 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens.
Have a look at :
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...der_ef_1_4x_ii
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...Specifications

I _think_ there may be problems with the back of some lenses hitting the
front of the extender.

Regards, Ian.

Max 05-04-2012 07:20 PM

Re: Canon 1.4X telextender

On 5/4/2012 9:59 AM, Ian wrote:
> "Max"<thesameoldme@att.net> wrote in message
> news:4fa337a5$0$17661$c3e8da3$12bcf670@news.astraw eb.com...
>> Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm zoom?
>> The lens I refer to is this one:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb
>>
>> Max

> Hello Max.
>
> The Canon 1.4 extender is only compatible with a subset of Canon lenses. I
> think the subset does not include the 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens.
> Have a look at :
> http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...der_ef_1_4x_ii
> http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...Specifications
>
> I _think_ there may be problems with the back of some lenses hitting the
> front of the extender.
>
> Regards, Ian.

Thank you for your reply.
I think you may be right.
Unfortunately, I will likely have to seek another solution for those
long telephoto shots that I like.

max

me 05-04-2012 08:21 PM

Re: Canon 1.4X telextender

On Fri, 04 May 2012 13:20:15 -0600, Max <thesameoldme@att.net> wrote:

>On 5/4/2012 9:59 AM, Ian wrote:
>> "Max"<thesameoldme@att.net> wrote in message
>> news:4fa337a5$0$17661$c3e8da3$12bcf670@news.astraw eb.com...
>>> Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm zoom?
>>> The lens I refer to is this one:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb
>>>
>>> Max

>> Hello Max.
>>
>> The Canon 1.4 extender is only compatible with a subset of Canon lenses. I
>> think the subset does not include the 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens.
>> Have a look at :
>> http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...der_ef_1_4x_ii
>> http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...Specifications
>>
>> I _think_ there may be problems with the back of some lenses hitting the
>> front of the extender.
>>
>> Regards, Ian.
>>

>Thank you for your reply.
>I think you may be right.
>Unfortunately, I will likely have to seek another solution for those
>long telephoto shots that I like.

Look at the possibility of a Kenko or other third party TC which might
not have this limitation.

Wolfgang Weisselberg 05-05-2012 01:40 AM

Re: Canon 1.4X telextender

Max <thesameoldme@att.net> wrote:
> Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm
> zoom? The lens I refer to is this one:

> http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb

This zoom lens is probably not good enough to give you
quality with an extender. You should use a very high quality
zoom lens or a fixed focal length lens for an extender.

Additionally, most cameras won't autofocus with this lens and
an extender, as with a 1.4x extender the effective aperture
at 300mm is f/8.

You could try:
- Canon's 400mm f/5.6 lens
- Canon's 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 lens
- Canon's 300mm f/4 lens with an 1.4x extender
each reaching ca. 400mm and f/5.6, but each solution is way
more costly than just the extender.

You could also look for third-party lenses (but check first
if they're good) ... there are some offers for -400mm and even
-500mm zooms.

Then there's the mirror lens, cheap, but terrible bokeh.

-Wolfgang

Max 05-05-2012 02:58 AM

Re: Canon 1.4X telextender

On 5/4/2012 7:40 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
> Max<thesameoldme@att.net> wrote:
>> Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm
>> zoom? The lens I refer to is this one:

>> http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb

> This zoom lens is probably not good enough to give you
> quality with an extender. You should use a very high quality
> zoom lens or a fixed focal length lens for an extender.
>
> Additionally, most cameras won't autofocus with this lens and
> an extender, as with a 1.4x extender the effective aperture
> at 300mm is f/8.
>
> You could try:
> - Canon's 400mm f/5.6 lens
> - Canon's 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 lens
> - Canon's 300mm f/4 lens with an 1.4x extender
> each reaching ca. 400mm and f/5.6, but each solution is way
> more costly than just the extender.
>
> You could also look for third-party lenses (but check first
> if they're good) ... there are some offers for -400mm and even
> -500mm zooms.
>
> Then there's the mirror lens, cheap, but terrible bokeh.
>
> -Wolfgang

I'll be exploring all "reasonably" priced options.

Max

charles 05-05-2012 03:24 AM

Re: Canon 1.4X telextender

On Thu, 03 May 2012 19:58:02 -0600, Max <thesameoldme@att.net> wrote:

>Has anyone here used the Canon 1.4X telextender *with* the 70-300mm
>zoom? The lens I refer to is this one:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/67e3xrb
>
>Max

with the sigma 70-300 the outer portions of the units are about 1/2
inch apart when the inner parts contact. I'd never thought to try it
before.