Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Applet code conversion... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t945847-re-applet-code-conversion.html)

Lew 04-30-2012 10:07 AM

Re: Applet code conversion...

linus wrote:
> How an applet code code can be trasformed to an application code ?
> I thought that adding a "main" would be enough .... but it is not so easy ! Is
> there an example about this my problem ?

Did you try a web search?

I found this in five minutes or less:
<http://www.johnloomis.org/cpe101/notes/SwingGUI/combined/combined.html>

FWIW, my search string was "Java combining an applet and application".

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Knute Johnson 05-01-2012 03:44 PM

Re: Applet code conversion...

On 5/1/2012 12:28 AM, linus wrote:
> Lew ha scritto:
>> linus wrote:
>>> How an applet code code can be trasformed to an application code ?
>>> I thought that adding a "main" would be enough .... but it is not so
>>> easy ! Is
>>> there an example about this my problem ?

>> Did you try a web search?
>>
>> I found this in five minutes or less:
>> <http://www.johnloomis.org/cpe101/notes/SwingGUI/combined/combined.html>
>>
>> FWIW, my search string was "Java combining an applet and application".
>>

> With the code
>
> http://www.johnloomis.org/cpe101/not.../combined.html
>
> I get >>
>
> :174: width is not public in java.awt.Component; cannot be accessed from
> outside package
> { width = ( w >= 0 ? w : 300 ); }
>
> :177: height is not public in java.awt.Component; cannot be accessed
> from outside package
> { height = ( h >= 0 ? h : 200 ); }
>

> Wath have I to do ?
> Many thanks .

Linus:

The code you provide does run as an application. Just compile it and
run it. It is however way too complex for the task it is attempting.

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;

public class test extends JPanel implements ActionListener {
private String state = "";

public test() {
setPreferredSize(new Dimension(400,300));
}

state = ae.getActionCommand();
repaint();
}

g.setColor(getBackground());
g.fillRect(0,0,getWidth(),getHeight());
g.setColor(getForeground());
if (state.equals("Line"))
g.drawLine(0,0,getWidth(),getHeight());
else if (state.equals("Oval"))
g.drawOval(0,0,getWidth(),getHeight());
else if (state.equals("Rect"))
g.drawRect(5,5,getWidth()-10,getHeight()-10);
}

EventQueue.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
public void run() {
test t = new test();
JFrame f = new JFrame("test");
f.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE );
f.add(t,BorderLayout.CENTER);
JPanel p = new JPanel();
JButton b = new JButton("Line");
b.addActionListener(t);
p.add(b);
b = new JButton("Oval");
b.addActionListener(t);
p.add(b);
b = new JButton("Rect");
b.addActionListener(t);
p.add(b);
f.add(p,BorderLayout.NORTH);
f.pack();
f.setVisible(true);
}
});
}
}

I deliberately left out the random code because I felt like it.

--

Knute Johnson

Roedy Green 05-02-2012 10:51 PM

Re: Applet code conversion...

On Tue, 01 May 2012 09:28:33 +0200, linus <linus@yahoo.com> wrote,

>:174: width is not public in java.awt.Component; cannot be accessed from
>outside package

What can you do in those situations?

1. see if what you want is declared protected. If so, you can extend
the class as use it just as if were package default.

2. look around for some accessors, perhaps in some other place in the
class hierarchy.

3. look for another class with similar functionality. E.g.
JComponent.

4. Roll your own taking inspiration from the recalcitrant class.

But doing this is not necessary to run an Applet as an Application.

One easy way is to have a width and height constant to put put in
Applet tags or twith an adjust in the surrounding Frame when run as an
Applet.

Please read the material already given you before you ask for more.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Knute Johnson 05-02-2012 11:58 PM

Re: Applet code conversion...

On 5/2/2012 6:45 AM, linus wrote:
> [...]

>> g.setColor(getBackground());
>> g.fillRect(0,0,getWidth(),getHeight());
>> g.setColor(getForeground());
>> if (state.equals("Line"))
>> g.drawLine(0,0,getWidth(),getHeight());
>> else if (state.equals("Oval"))
>> g.drawOval(0,0,getWidth(),getHeight());
>> else if (state.equals("Rect"))
>> g.drawRect(5,5,getWidth()-10,getHeight()-10);
>> }

>> EventQueue.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
>> public void run() {
>> test t = new test();
>> JFrame f = new JFrame("test");
>> f.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE );
>> f.add(t,BorderLayout.CENTER);
>> JPanel p = new JPanel();
>> JButton b = new JButton("Line");
>> b.addActionListener(t);
>> p.add(b);
>> b = new JButton("Oval");
>> b.addActionListener(t);
>> p.add(b);
>> b = new JButton("Rect");
>> b.addActionListener(t);
>> p.add(b);
>> f.add(p,BorderLayout.NORTH);
>> f.pack();
>> f.setVisible(true);
>> }
>> });
>> }
>> }
>>
>> I deliberately left out the random code because I felt like it.
>>

> It should be that adding the code below to an applet code ...this will
> be also an application ...but if java.awt.Component is used will have
> the error >>> width is not public in java.awt.Component; cannot be
> accessed from outside package .
>

> public static void main( String args[] )
> {
> int width, height;
>
> if ( args.length != 2 ) { // no command-line arguments
> width = 300;
> height = 200;
> }
> else {
> width = Integer.parseInt( args[ 0 ] );
> height = Integer.parseInt( args[ 1 ] );
> }
>
> // create window in which applet will execute
> JFrame applicationWindow =
> new JFrame( "An applet running as an application" );
>
> applicationWindow.addWindowListener(
> new WindowAdapter() {
> public void windowClosing( WindowEvent e )
> {
> System.exit( 0 );
> }
> }
> );
>
> // create one applet instance
> DrawShapes appletObject = new DrawShapes();
> appletObject.setWidth( width );
> appletObject.setHeight( height );
>
> // call applet's init and start methods
> appletObject.init();
> appletObject.start();
>
> // attach applet to center of window
> applicationWindow.getContentPane().add( appletObject );
>
> // set the window's size
> applicationWindow.setSize( width, height );
>
> // showing the window causes all GUI components

Linus you really need to get a more modern book that doesn't use the
deprecated code. Also we can't tell where your problem is without an
actual compilable code example and the actual error messages. Google SSCCE.

I suggest you take a look at the Java Tutorial here;

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

--

Knute Johnson