Velocity Reviews

-   -   obscure coding error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t945679-obscure-coding-error.html)

thedarkman 04-24-2012 05:45 PM

obscure coding error

There is some sort of obscure coding error in this file

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/r...itma_site.html

but I can't find it. Here is the old version - before it was amended

http://web.archive.org/web/201107071...itma_site.html

can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks

thedarkman 04-24-2012 07:49 PM

Re: obscure coding error

> Other than the removal of the Wayback Machine header I don't see
> anything very different in the two pages.
>
> --
> Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.net/
> "Music is essentially useless, as life is." - *George Santayana

Found it! omitted a "

thedarkman 04-24-2012 10:38 PM

Re: obscure coding error

On Apr 24, 8:49*pm, thedarkman <odemgoldenslipp...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > Other than the removal of the Wayback Machine header I don't see
> > anything very different in the two pages.

> > --
> > Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.net/
> > "Music is essentially useless, as life is." - *George Santayana

> Found it! omitted a "

And guess what, now I've corrected it, there are another 20 errors
showing!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-24-2012 11:30 PM

Re: obscure coding error

thedarkman wrote:

> On Apr 24, 8:49*pm, thedarkman wrote:

>> Ed Mullen wrote: [attribute restored]
>> > Other than the removal of the Wayback Machine header I don't see
>> > anything very different in the two pages.

>> Found it! omitted a "

> And guess what, now I've corrected it, there are another 20 errors
> showing!

Great news! Now you're getting closer to how your pages normally test!

--
-bts

thedarkman 04-25-2012 11:51 AM

Re: obscure coding error

> That hardly accounts for the differences. *There is a huge amount of
> code ommitted in the copy of the original. *And why did you copy the
> original anyway?

I didn't copy the original, I wrote the original. I've been going
through the site, putting in new links to open pages in a new window
and replacing quotes with smart quotes. The former is where the error
crept in.

Jonathan N. Little 04-25-2012 01:10 PM

Re: obscure coding error

thedarkman wrote:

>> That hardly accounts for the differences. There is a huge amount of
>> code ommitted in the copy of the original. And why did you copy the
>> original anyway?
>>

> I didn't copy the original, I wrote the original. I've been going
> through the site, putting in new links to open pages in a new window
> and replacing quotes with smart quotes. The former is where the error
> crept in.

Unfortunately with all your "edits" you are still ignoring basic HTML
syntax. Until you address the fundamentals all you be doing is going in
circles. The sad part is HTML syntax is *not that difficult*.

1) Nested elements FILO

2) Some elements REQUIRE closing tags, so simplest to remember is to
close ALL elements except for AREA, BASE, BASEFONT, BR, COL, FRAME, HR,
IMG, INPUT, LINK, META, and PARAM

3) Learn which elements are INLINE and those that are BLOCK. Basically,
inline elements need to be inside at least one block element and inline
elements cannot contain block elements.

Until you do the above, you code will be nothing more than a muddle.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO