Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   DOT.COM (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t945649-dot-com.html)

Frank Williams 04-23-2012 06:45 AM

DOT.COM
 

Megaupload case near collapse

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04...se_in_trouble/

Donchano 04-23-2012 07:13 AM

Re: DOT.COM
 

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:45:33 +1200, Frank Williams
<FWilliams@happy.com.ru> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>
>Megaupload case near collapse
>
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04...se_in_trouble/


This is now old news already covered by the NZ Herald in more detail:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/?objectID=...ef=emailfriend

Several weeks ago I sent a letter to the Commissioner of Police asking
(under the official information act) what the raid on DotCom's leased
estate cost. Having learn from previous experience, I phrased the
questions several ways so - hopefully - the bureaucrats can't wiggle
out of a full answer and not an "estimate" as reported in the Herald.

Late last week I received a letter of acknowledgement with the usual
"in due course" proviso. If I don't get a full answer or they refuse
to answer I'll take it further.

As a taxpayer I want to know exactly how much of OUR money was spent
on this grandstanding fiasco. 76 police, including members of the
Special Tactics Group and backed up by two helicopters, in order to
arrest four suspects ... only to discover that the NZ police hadn't
done the paperwork correctly and the entire case may be thrown out.

What a joke - at the taxpayer's expense!

Frank Williams 04-23-2012 07:22 AM

Re: DOT.COM
 
On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:13:00 +1200, Donchano
<donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote:

>
>On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:45:33 +1200, Frank Williams
><FWilliams@happy.com.ru> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>
>>Megaupload case near collapse
>>
>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04...se_in_trouble/

>
>This is now old news already covered by the NZ Herald in more detail:
>
>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/?objectID=...ef=emailfriend
>
>Several weeks ago I sent a letter to the Commissioner of Police asking
>(under the official information act) what the raid on DotCom's leased
>estate cost. Having learn from previous experience, I phrased the
>questions several ways so - hopefully - the bureaucrats can't wiggle
>out of a full answer and not an "estimate" as reported in the Herald.
>
>Late last week I received a letter of acknowledgement with the usual
>"in due course" proviso. If I don't get a full answer or they refuse
>to answer I'll take it further.
>
>As a taxpayer I want to know exactly how much of OUR money was spent
>on this grandstanding fiasco. 76 police, including members of the
>Special Tactics Group and backed up by two helicopters, in order to
>arrest four suspects ... only to discover that the NZ police hadn't
>done the paperwork correctly and the entire case may be thrown out.
>
>What a joke - at the taxpayer's expense!




It was a Show for the Yanks, may be all to do with these free trade
talks..


Donchano 04-23-2012 07:28 AM

Re: DOT.COM
 

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:13:00 +1200, Donchano
<donchano@notachance.invalid> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Several weeks ago I sent a letter to the Commissioner of Police asking
>(under the official information act) what the raid on DotCom's leased
>estate cost. Having learn from previous experience, I phrased the
>questions several ways so - hopefully - the bureaucrats can't wiggle
>out of a full answer and not an "estimate" as reported in the Herald.


Here's the guts of the letter:


REQUEST FOR INFORMATION UNDER THE OFFICIAL INFORMATION ACT 1982

Dear Sir,

It was reported that on the morning of Friday 20 January 2012, 76
police officers, including members of the Special Tactics Group and
backed up by two helicopters, raided Dotcom's leased estate in
Auckland in order to arrest four individuals (TV3 News online).

It was also reported in Issue No. 354 February 2012 of TENONE (the New
Zealand Police's magazine online): "The high-profile operation centred
on Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom in Auckland was the culmination of
several months of careful planning by staff in Auckland and
Wellington."

The same article also states: "Ten search warrants were executed at
addresses across Auckland and equipment including computers and
documents were seized for evidential purposes."

I am writing to request the following information regarding that raid
on Dotcom's house on the morning of Friday 20 January 2012:

1. The total cost of the planning and execution of the raid on
Dotcom's estate.

2. If considered separately, the total cost of the Special Tactic
Group's participation.

3. If considered separately, the total cost of the helicopter backup.

4. If considered separately, the total cost of the application for and
execution of "Ten search warrants" that were "executed at addresses
across Auckland and equipment including computers and documents were
seized for evidential purposes."

5. If considered separately, the total coast of the "several months"
of planning - including the cost both the NZ Police and the Organised
& Financial Crime Agency New Zealand.

6. If considered separately or wholly, the total cost of the entire
operation from the planning stage, through execution - including all
of the components of the operation.

Thank you.

Your sincerely,

Enkidu 04-23-2012 07:29 AM

Re: DOT.COM
 
On 23/04/12 19:13, Donchano wrote:
>
> Late last week I received a letter of acknowledgement with the usual
> "in due course" proviso. If I don't get a full answer or they refuse
> to answer I'll take it further.
>

Why? What possible reason is there for letting the hoi polloi having
such information?

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Donchano 04-23-2012 09:07 AM

Re: DOT.COM
 

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:29:23 +1200, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> shouted from
the highest rooftop:

>On 23/04/12 19:13, Donchano wrote:
>>
>> Late last week I received a letter of acknowledgement with the usual
>> "in due course" proviso. If I don't get a full answer or they refuse
>> to answer I'll take it further.
>>

>Why? What possible reason is there for letting the hoi polloi having
>such information?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff


Good point. After all, the pencil pushers, politicians and consultants
always know what's best for us. We should just leave them to get on
with telling us whatever that happens to be ... ;-)

Enkidu 04-23-2012 10:03 AM

Re: DOT.COM
 
On 23/04/12 21:07, Donchano wrote:
>
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:29:23 +1200, Enkidu<cliffp@bogus> shouted from
> the highest rooftop:
>
>> On 23/04/12 19:13, Donchano wrote:
>>>
>>> Late last week I received a letter of acknowledgement with the usual
>>> "in due course" proviso. If I don't get a full answer or they refuse
>>> to answer I'll take it further.
>>>

>> Why? What possible reason is there for letting the hoi polloi having
>> such information?

>
> Good point. After all, the pencil pushers, politicians and consultants
> always know what's best for us. We should just leave them to get on
> with telling us whatever that happens to be ... ;-)
>

No. There are leaders and there are followers. What is the point of
giving the followers information that they don't need?

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Donchano 04-23-2012 08:15 PM

Re: DOT.COM
 

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:03:08 +1200, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> shouted from
the highest rooftop:

>On 23/04/12 21:07, Donchano wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:29:23 +1200, Enkidu<cliffp@bogus> shouted from
>> the highest rooftop:
>>
>>> On 23/04/12 19:13, Donchano wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Late last week I received a letter of acknowledgement with the usual
>>>> "in due course" proviso. If I don't get a full answer or they refuse
>>>> to answer I'll take it further.
>>>>
>>> Why? What possible reason is there for letting the hoi polloi having
>>> such information?

>>
>> Good point. After all, the pencil pushers, politicians and consultants
>> always know what's best for us. We should just leave them to get on
>> with telling us whatever that happens to be ... ;-)
> >

>No. There are leaders and there are followers. What is the point of
>giving the followers information that they don't need?


I'll let you know after I get the information.


JohnO 04-23-2012 09:10 PM

Re: DOT.COM
 
On Apr 23, 10:03*pm, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:
> On 23/04/12 21:07, Donchano wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:29:23 +1200, Enkidu<cliffp@bogus> *shouted from
> > the highest rooftop:

>
> >> On 23/04/12 19:13, Donchano wrote:

>
> >>> Late last week I received a letter of acknowledgement with the usual
> >>> "in due course" proviso. If I don't get a full answer or they refuse
> >>> to answer I'll take it further.

>
> >> Why? What possible reason is there for letting the hoi polloi having
> >> such information?

>
> > Good point. After all, the pencil pushers, politicians and consultants
> > always know what's best for us. *We should just leave them to get on
> > with telling us whatever that happens to be ... ;-)

>
> *>
> No. There are leaders and there are followers. What is the point of
> giving the followers information that they don't need?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff


Are you a leader or follower Cliff? If the latter, do you have
aspirations to the former?

Just asking.

>
> --
>
> The ends justifies the means - Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.
>
> The end excuses any evil - Sophocles



Bruce Sinclair 04-23-2012 11:03 PM

Re: DOT.COM
 
In article <4f9504d3$1@news.actrix.co.nz>, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:
>On 23/04/12 19:13, Donchano wrote:
>>
>> Late last week I received a letter of acknowledgement with the usual
>> "in due course" proviso. If I don't get a full answer or they refuse
>> to answer I'll take it further.
>>

>Why? What possible reason is there for letting the hoi polloi having
>such information?


<chuckle> Thanks for that. :)



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.