Velocity Reviews

-   -   Chat with ASP.NET. Web Services or Remote Script? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t94548-chat-with-asp-net-web-services-or-remote-script.html)

Dexter 01-14-2005 07:35 PM

Chat with ASP.NET. Web Services or Remote Script?

Hello all,
I need to build a chat using ASP.NET (VB), this chat is to the
online communication with customers.
I would like to know what is best. To use webservices or to use remote
script?

thanks

Dexter

=?Utf-8?B?aTlhcmNhbmVz?= 01-14-2005 09:39 PM

remoting

Hi,
I would rather prefered remoting than web services for online comunication
application because,
1] Perfomance wise remoting is best than web services.
2] Remoting provides wellknown and client activated objects. Means you have
number of options to handle situations, you come accross while developing
online communication application
3] You can create your own customize communication channels with remoting
which is not possible with webservices.

etc.

Thanx,

bruce barker 01-15-2005 01:04 AM

Re: Chat with ASP.NET. Web Services or Remote Script?

there are problems with both

1) web service requires an active/x control (xmlhttp) and a web behavior in
IE, (fine with mozilla/firefox as webservice calls are builtin), which the
user may have disabled
2) remote scripting uses a java applet as callback method - may also be
disabled

the best it to use a hidden frame/iframe for the polling - this is the most
approach used for most web chat clients.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Jeff @ Dart 01-16-2005 01:16 PM

Re: Chat with ASP.NET. Web Services or Remote Script?

Dexter, if you use remote scripting, our new product (LiveControls for
ASP.NET) would help you greatly. It is a suite of 20+ server controls
that are fully remote scripted (the ASP.NET postback is replaced with a
remote scripted callback. All the javascript work to update the UI is
already done for you). They are cross browser compatible and have been
tested in IE5.0 + (PC and Mac), Mozilla 1.3+ (PC and Mac), Opera,
Galeon, Konqueror, etc.

http://www.dart.com/livetutorial/display.aspx
or
http://www.dart.com/powerweb/livecontrols.asp

If I were building a chat application, the following LiveControls would
be useful to me:
- LiveGrid - To show the list of available rooms in a grid...also to
show the list of chatters in a room.
- LiveTextBox - To allow a user to enter text.
- LiveButton - To send the text to the webserver.
- LiveLabel - To display the chat transcript.
- LiveSound - To play sound effects where appropriate (like a doorbell
alert when a new user enters the room, etc).
- LiveTimer - To poll the webserver for new chat messages.